(Polls) Finalists Set: Choose Your Preferred GM/HC Pairing

Mind Character

Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?

• GM: Dave Ziegler/Nick Caserio; HC: Josh McDaniels
    • GM: Andrew Berry; HC: Kevin Stefanski
    • GM: Eliot Wolf; HC: Mike McCarthy
  2. 2. Which Pairing will ultimately be selected by the Haslams?

3. 3. Which Pairing has the greatest chance of blowing up in an epic fashion?

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Because we’ve had scrub DCs. Wade is a legend. He can make the 3-4 work. There’s no reason our front 7 can’t play the 3-4. Just get a fat boy to play NT and we’re good. 

I disagree, we’re far from a competent 3-4. No nose, no 5 tech and no lbs. I don’t want Garrett in a 3-4, he can do it but he’s better with his hand down. 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

The 3-4 is fine conceptually. It's the same thing as a 4-3 except you can be more aggressive with the 3-4. It's a little more unpredictable, which isn't a bad thing. It allows you to have 4 players in the second level of your defense, which does help prevent big runs. I wouldn't mind the 3-4 at all. Plus, I think Garrett's freaky enough to play all over a 3-4. I think we actually have solid 3-4 personnel with the exception of Mack Wilson, who would simply become our nickel LB'er. But everyone else fits.

I’m just so freaking jaded for the years of buffoonery we’ve wasted trying it out. I like the concept if we get people in here that can actually acquire the personnel to fit it. 

We just need a DC who plays to players' strengths. There is no reason why we should always be in 4-3/3-4/nickel though of course can benefit from being able to try out the same formation play after play with lots of trickery built-in. Not really understanding how polarized it has become to either be for or against 3-4, 4-3 etc.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

I disagree, we’re far from a competent 3-4. No nose, no 5 tech and no lbs. I don’t want Garrett in a 3-4, he can do it but he’s better with his hand down. 

LE: Thomas/Ogunjobi

NT: Ogunjobi/DANNY SHELTON

RE: Richardson/Ogunjobi

LOLB: Vernon/Takitaki

MLB: Schobert/Takitaki

MLB: Kirksey/Takitaki

ROLB: Garrett/Takitaki

We would need another OLB and another 5-Tech for depth. That’s not a crazy overhaul. Plus, Ogunjobi was a 34 NT in college and he was dominant. People forget that. 

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

We would need another OLB and another 5-Tech for depth. That’s not a crazy overhaul. Plus, Ogunjobi was a 34 NT in college and he was dominant. People forget that. 

Both our OLB’s have never played the position as far as I’m aware. I don’t like it

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Those are some big, slow (relatively) OLB’s.  I’d hate to see those guys trying to cover backs in space.  😬 

Are we really gonna drop Garrett into coverage?  Almost seems like a waste.

Ogunjobi on the nose is a waste unless we run a pure 1 gap scheme.

Kirksey is gone. 

Im not saying it couldn’t work, but we’re CLEARLY better suited to the 4-3.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

I still don’t like it. I can’t see that being a dominant 3-4. Thomas is too light and I don’t know if Richardson could play a 3-4 end. Both are better suited to a 4-3. I think Schobert and Kirksey could pull it off but we’d need minimum two more lbs. I think both Vernon and Garrett are better off with their hands in the ground. Garrett can play anywhere yes, I just really like his strength and size and speed in the trenches. I think we’d be in at least a two year defensive rebuild. 

1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

We just need a DC who plays to players' strengths. There is no reason why we should always be in 4-3/3-4/nickel though of course can benefit from being able to try out the same formation play after play with lots of trickery built-in. Not really understanding how polarized it has become to either be for or against 3-4, 4-3 etc.

This I can get onboard with. I’ve been saying this for just about 20 years. What a novel concept, designing offense or defense to your players strengths. Unfortunately most coaches are too pig headed to change their philosophies.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

At this point I don’t really think there’s reason to think that Takitaki is a better fit in any defense than Mack Wilson. Also I do believe that Christian Kirksey gets cut unless he wants to adjust his salary to stay put.

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

I still don’t like it. I can’t see that being a dominant 3-4. Thomas is too light and I don’t know if Richardson could play a 3-4 end. Both are better suited to a 4-3. I think Schobert and Kirksey could pull it off but we’d need minimum two more lbs. I think both Vernon and Garrett are better off with their hands in the ground. Garrett can play anywhere yes, I just really like his strength and size and speed in the trenches. I think we’d be in at least a two year defensive rebuild. 

Richardson was drafted by the Jets specifically to be a 3-4 DE.

2 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Those are some big, slow (relatively) OLB’s.  I’d hate to see those guys trying to cover backs in space.  😬 

Are we really gonna drop Garrett into coverage?  Almost seems like a waste.

Ogunjobi on the nose is a waste unless we run a pure 1 gap scheme.

Kirksey is gone. 

Im not saying it couldn’t work, but we’re CLEARLY better suited to the 4-3.

Being 29th against the run doesn’t CLEARLY tell us anything.

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Richardson was drafted by the Jets specifically to be a 3-4 DE.

Was he any good at it?  Don’t specifically recall. Though the depths of my memory tell me people weren’t happy with him there. 

If he was? Great we still need to account for %66 of our dline.