(Polls) Finalists Set: Choose Your Preferred GM/HC Pairing

Mind Character

Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which Finalist GM/HC Pairing do you want us to choose?

• GM: Dave Ziegler/Nick Caserio; HC: Josh McDaniels
    • GM: Andrew Berry; HC: Kevin Stefanski
    • GM: Eliot Wolf; HC: Mike McCarthy
  2. 2. Which Pairing will ultimately be selected by the Haslams?

3. 3. Which Pairing has the greatest chance of blowing up in an epic fashion?

7 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Regardless if we think he reinvented himself because of the documentary or not, my personal point remains the same.

I know who Mike McCarthy is and what he will bring. I--along with every Browns fan on this board--has no idea of what Stefanski will bring. I believe people like him because of the unknown but not what he actually provides. Its like a mystery box. I do, for a fact, know that I as a fan have been down the 'hire a flashy coordinator' road before and it never ever ever ever ever ends up being a good decision. That is why Im turned off to Stefanski regardless of the coaching hype he is getting. 

I like the known over the unknown. We have been down the road of unknown many times before. It never ends well.

As for McDaniels---many of you know Im also a Broncos fan. I wouldnt touch that MFer with a 10 foot pole ever again so he is a non option to me personally.

I'm in the same boat. People are really falling in love with Stefanski, and the only reason I can see is that it's because DePo was leaning towards him last time. It's discouraging to me that Haslam is pretty much in charge of this pick, and he hasn't gotten one HC choice right yet. McCarthy would at least bring a known quantity who can install discipline and a winning system. Whether he gets us to the Super Bowl or not, I think he can at least consistently take us up into the contenders bracket year after year. If we are going with an unknown HC quantity, I'd prefer Roman over Stefanski (he's had just as much or more success as an OC, and would be robbing a division rival of a major asset). I'm on the "say no to McDaniels" wagon, since he's stepping into a major power vacuum and last time he tried to play Napoleon he ran the Broncos into the ground.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dawgdish said:

People are really falling in love with Stefanski, and the only reason I can see is that it's because DePo was leaning towards him last time.

I think the core reasons for the Stefanski love are really based on the following:

1.) He appears to be the candidate that gives the organization the best chance at alignment and the necessary collaboration between the Strategy/Analytics department and Football Operations such that Jimmy Haslam may not feel the need to re-structure or make sweeping changes within the organization.

2.) By most accounts, Stefanski is not the political animal or person to susceptible power trips and has the mentality to thoughtfully disagree and work collaboratively with others.

3.) By most accounts Stefanski is not a volatile personality prone to emotional blow-ups or non-productive yelling and screaming in moments of high stress instead he has an even keeled personality.

4.) He runs one of the most play-action pass heavy, zone run scheme, thoughtful play-sequencing, sameness of initial play look before post-snap variations offenses in the entire league. That style much like the 49ers Shanahan offense is thought to be a personnel fit with our roster's strength.

Therefore, even though Stefanski is a first-time Head Coach and has his own issues, relative to the rest of the candidates on the list there's an argument to give him the nod in people's minds because he's less volatile, political, and power hungry than Josh McDaniels and more organizationally aligned and a more creative play-caller that suits our personnel when compared to McCarthy.

In the end, only time will tell if his apparent qualities will translate to reality, but there's good reasons why Stefanski is the leader in the clubhouse that go beyond DePo liking him. 

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, dawgdish said:

I'm in the same boat. People are really falling in love with Stefanski, and the only reason I can see is that it's because DePo was leaning towards him last time. It's discouraging to me that Haslam is pretty much in charge of this pick, and he hasn't gotten one HC choice right yet. McCarthy would at least bring a known quantity who can install discipline and a winning system. Whether he gets us to the Super Bowl or not, I think he can at least consistently take us up into the contenders bracket year after year. If we are going with an unknown HC quantity, I'd prefer Roman over Stefanski (he's had just as much or more success as an OC, and would be robbing a division rival of a major asset). I'm on the "say no to McDaniels" wagon, since he's stepping into a major power vacuum and last time he tried to play Napoleon he ran the Broncos into the ground.

Right, I think thats just the point Im trying to make. McCarthy could fail lets be honest. But In my mind he has a smaller 'bust' rate than either of the other 2 guys. The Browns need to get it right this time around and simply cannot afford to swing for the fences with another first time HC hire that stands a higher chance at flaming out.

This time they need to be comfortable with hitting a double even if its not the super sexy choice.

• Like 3

There's belief with some people in the front office community around the league that Andrew Berry won't leave Philadelphia and the Eagles will be promoting him from Vice President of Football Operations to a newly formed Executive of Football Operations and Strategy position that will supersede current VP of FO & Strategy Alec Halabi.

This would likely mean that Kevin Stefanski would instead be paired with George Paton (current longtime Vikings assistant GM under Rick Spielman). He's a very respected personnel decision-maker and evaluator around the league, but he's not thought to be heavily invested in analytics depth approaches.

It seems to me that a major component of making our future front office-head coach structure work in alignment with the Analytics/Strategy departments that the Haslam's are going to have to give Andrew Berry a 5-year contract or something with serious security and investment in order to give him reasons to leave the Eagles.

I wonder if the Haslam's would be willing to make such a commitment as well as if they should do so...

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

My current wish list.

I'm not a big fan of McCarthy or Stefanski. MM has a history of clashing with others and that Packer team is considerably better coached without him. Stefanski is a good coach but everyone seems to forget that he was nearly run out of Minneapolis mid season for his ultra conservative scheme. It wasn't till Cousins stepped up that his offense started working again. Also not real confident in what kind of staff he could put together.

HC Jim Harbaugh

OC David Shaw

DC Dennard Wilson

GM Andrew Barry

Harbaugh is exactly the kind of guy that would be a positive face of the franchise and bring a good, hard nosed, disciplined culture. His teams are reliant on physical play upfront on both sides and he'd lean on the two pro bowl RBs. He saved Alex Smith's career and jumpstarted Keapernick's. If nothing else, I'm sure he could coach Baker to be smarter with the football. Coach Wilson is an up and coming guy that's loved by his players and building a good resume. David Shaw might be open to pro possibilities as his Stanford team has been middling for a while now.

HC Robert Saleh

OC Mike McDaniel

GM Andrew Berry

This would only work right if coach McDaniel can pry himself from Shanahan and actually want to return to Cleveland. Saleh's a very solid coordinator and has the personality to be the man of the franchise. With Shanny's system implemented right, with these skill guys, and Saleh's scheme...that would work.

HC Greg Roman

OC David Shaw

DC Dennard Wilson

GM Andrew Berry

Roman's done wonders for that Raven offense and proved once more that he can elevate whoever's at the QB position. The added benefit of directly weakening the division's best team is icing.

HC Josh McDaniels

OC Jim Hostler

DC Dennard Wilson

GM Nick Caserio

I'm not a huge McDaniels guy because I think he'd clash with certain guys, especially Baker, and he's always been a terrible evaluator...but he knows how to coach high level offense and the skill players in Cleveland are tiers better than anything in NE right now.

HC Urban Meyer

DC Don Martindale

GM Andrew Berry

Again, I think it's important to find a guy that will relegate our big personality guys into the margin. Meyer will unquestionably be the franchise face and has been a solid enough leader and winner everywhere he's been.

if it ends up being Stefanski-Berry, I think a prediction that will easily come true is that they will have a hard time recruiting and filling out the assistants staff with high quality coaches because of the perceived instability of the organization.

The Coaching Staffs will be some of the most interesting things to watch for when McDaniels and McCarthy and Stefanski get jobs.

Edited by Mind Character

My preferred hierarchy is this

Jimmy going full on Jerry Jones and acting as GM.  He will pick names out of a hat when choosing draft picks.

JW- will become the hc.  Son in law with 0 experience at anything, besides marrying into the Haslam family.  He's sitting in on the HC search, soooooo... if he's good enough to do that, then....why not?

He will also assume play calling duties, much the same way that Freddie called plays this past year, while incorporating the same trick that Jimmy will use to draft...the ol pull the play outta the hat trick.

Dee will become the OC and DC....she can handle it...nuff said

Edited by big poppa pump
  • Like 2

In a coaching search where "Exceptional Leadership" is the publicly desired trait and insiders report "the Haslam's are looking for someone who can stand in the locker room and command immediate respect and buy-in from players," it's odd that Kevin Stefanski and Josh McDaniels are thought to be likely be the two finalists over Mike McCarthy.

When it's all said and done I can't help but think that there will be another name that comes onto the radar that is more of a "command immediate respect" type of Head Coach. 

It's a shame because Ron Rivera really would've fit the stated coaching search goals although maybe what's stated isn't what the Haslams really prioritize.

Nothing distinguishes our coaching candidate list from old hat NFL HC candidate lists of over the past decade. To assemble a list first write down all the playoff teams. Then, pick an OC or DC on that team depending on the hotness of their name and/or coordinated side of the ball.

I'm still holding out hope that we open up the search late to established program leaders in the college game as a way to expand the search to find the unique skill of Program Leadership/Building.

I doubt it though.

• Like 1

As much as New England are upheld as the greatest organization of all time, scouts know well that their 1st and 2nd round draft selections are often filled with really bad evaluations and produce nothing.

It's one thing to be excited about Josh McDaniels and another thing to be excited about bringing along their front office talents with some belief that they are going to do wonders in the draft room.

New England is all about free agents and UDFA player development and Belichick's influence.

• Like 1