Josh McDaniels and The Colts. What happened?

hornbybrown

What are the stories out there and what do we think is the truth?

i have heard

1 he found out Luck wouldn’t be likely to be playing.

2 He got told he would have roster control and then that changed.

3 the Patriots made a late play to keep him that included BB letting him in on some formulas for how he does everything.

are there other versions and what do we believe?

• Like 2

I don't think any of the reasons/excuses matter. I think it speaks to his character that he backed out on a deal to be the Head Coach of an NFL football team.  By doing so, he had to know that there was a risk involved, in that other teams may never want to give him a chance.  His agent at the time, Bob Lamonte, quit being his agent after the incident.  I believe there were coaches lined up to come along with him that got screwed when he backed out.  Let's discuss each of the "reasons" that he possible backed out of the deal, which imo are not good enough to actually quit before starting.

If he found out after the fact that Luck would not be playing, then shame on him for

1.  Deciding to back out based on the health of the QB

2.  Not doing enough in advance to find out what the health of the QB was BEFORE ACCEPTING THE POSITION

If he was told he would have more control of the roster in the interview process, and suddenly found out that was no longer the case, why wouldn't he come out and say so in any interviews?  That may actually be the only excuse that would be acceptable, however, he has never come out and publicly stated this.  All of the details should have been hammered out before the deal was consummated.  You mean to tell me that financial details were finalized, but they conveniently told him after, that he wasn't getting as much power as originally discussed?  Doesn't seem to make sense

Anything having to do with the Patriots talking him out of it, makes him seem like an absolute, wishy washy d bag.  You didn't mention the rumor of him being promised the HC job of the Patriots when Bill retired (although Josh came out and denied that) but regardless....all of these are excuses to not accept a position which is rarely offered.

He seems like a great XO guy.  He seems like he would have a great vision for a team, having worked with the goat HC, and the goat QB.  But how much of his success is because of those 2?  How would we find out if he is still a little weasel?  Well...we are the Browns...so the worst case scenario is probably going to occur if we hire him.

• Like 1

Luck called said he would retire before playing for Mcdaniels .

So he did not sign the contract like a spoiled little brat that he is.

The same thing Mayfield will do if Mcdaniels is hired. 

Edited by mtmmike
Misspelling

Just now, mtmmike said:

Luck called said he would retire before playing for Mcdaniels .

So he did not sign the co tract like a spoiled little brat that he is.

The same thing Mayfield will do if Mcdaniels is hired. 

I changed my mind, let’s hire McDaniels.

• Like 6

Didn’t BB his mentor do this with the Jets before taking the HC job in NE?

At the end of the day he made a decision that upset people big time. But it also opened the door for Frank Reicht to be the coach and he’s done a good job. So I think everything worked out ok. 

If JM becomes the HC in Cleveland and fails it won’t be because of what he did to the colts.  It will be because our team is cursed 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JDD said:

Didn’t BB his mentor do this with the Jets before taking the HC job in NE?

At the end of the day he made a decision that upset people big time. But it also opened the door for Frank Reicht to be the coach and he’s done a good job. So I think everything worked out ok. 

If JM becomes the HC in Cleveland and fails it won’t be because of what he did to the colts.  It will be because our team is cursed 

The above is not all the way accurate imo.  If JM comes here, I don't believe that his success is dependent upon what he knows.  He seems to have a good "football mind".  If he fails here, it would most likely be due to character issues, and his ability to lead an organization.  You could always point back to the time that he backed out of the deal with the Colts and say "I should have known"

But the second part is 100 accurate...we are cursed

30 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

The above is not all the way accurate imo.  If JM comes here, I don't believe that his success is dependent upon what he knows.  He seems to have a good "football mind".  If he fails here, it would most likely be due to character issues, and his ability to lead an organization.  You could always point back to the time that he backed out of the deal with the Colts and say "I should have known"

But the second part is 100 accurate...we are cursed

If he fails here, it could very well be because Jimmy Haslem fired him too quick as well...

Lets not forget the most obvious reasons....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Deciding to back out based on the health of the QB

2.  Not doing enough in advance to find out what the health of the QB was BEFORE ACCEPTING THE POSITION

He could have been lied too about his health. He might not be able to do the proper research before he accepted the position because he was still the coach of another team and prolly legally can’t get access to that health information. 

1 hour ago, CBrownsman said:

If he fails here, it could very well be because Jimmy Haslem fired him too quick as well...

Lets not forget the most obvious reasons....

No way the Haslams fire him. They been trying to hire McDaniels for like 7years now. They will prolly exhaust everything for him to be successful here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

No way the Haslams fire him. They been trying to hire McDaniels for like 7years now. They will prolly exhaust everything for him to be successful here.

Have you been living under a rock ever since the Haslams became owners?