Tom Time

Shady Slim

Brady 2020  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Tom Brady next season is going to...

• Retire
    • Play on for NE
    • Play on for Someone Else (say)

16 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Not only is Dak better than Brady at this point in their careers, the Cowboys are about to make him (near) the highest paid QB in the NFL. Any thought that we would go after Brady is absurd imo. 

No. Brady is absolutely still a Top 5-6 QB. What has he regressed at? His velocity is exactly the same as it was five years ago. He isn’t Rivers who has lost a ton of velocity. Please tell me what traits he has regressed in? His receivers ranked 32 in separation this season. Most garbage WR core in the league. Look at his numbers first seven games. He was a Top 4 MVP candidate and a Pro Bowler tearing teams apart. That’s because teams were playing both zone and man and mostly zone. Final 9 games of the year, teams played majority man coverage against his receiving core and they could not get open. 

Brady will be a Top 5-6 QB for whatever team he plays for next season. And then Top 13-15 in 2021 before retiring. 

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

No. Brady is absolutely still a Top 5-6 QB. What has he regressed at? His velocity is exactly the same as it was five years ago. He isn’t Rivers who has lost a ton of velocity. Please tell me what traits he has regressed in? His receivers ranked 32 in separation this season. Most garbage WR core in the league. Look at his numbers first seven games. He was a Top 4 MVP candidate and a Pro Bowler tearing teams apart. That’s because teams were playing both zone and man and mostly zone. Final 9 games of the year, teams played majority man coverage against his receiving core and they could not get open. 

Brady will be a Top 5-6 QB for whatever team he plays for next season. And then Top 13-15 in 2021 before retiring. 

It's funny you talk about how Brady doesnt have good WRs because early in his career that was a point people used to talk about how good he was.

He is throwing more Ints. His touch on passes imo has dropped off a bit, he still has the velocity as you said. The offense as a whole outside of Brady and Edlemen is trash though frankly but as much as people liked to throw out there there he played with nobody WRs all his career, he doesnt get a pass this season as a result.

He isnt as polished a QB.

Right now, Mahomes, Watson, Arguably Dak, arguably Lamar Jackson, Drew Brees are all better imo

That's 5 right there. Then you get into conversations as to whether or not Russell Wilson is better at this stage in his career, among others. Tom Brady is arguably the best QB of the NFLs History. (Arguable because of the drastic differences in era's)

But at this stage of his career, imo, he is not among the elite QBs. At least he isnt performing like them. 

Edited by wwhickok

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

It's funny you talk about how Brady doesnt have good WRs because early in his career that was a point people used to talk about how good he was.

He is throwing more Ints

He's still better than he was early in his career. You just highlighted that he's throwing more INTs, for example

He threw 8 this season. 2001; 12. 2002; 14. 2003; 12. 2004; 14. 2005; 14....etc. So I ask, he's throwing more INTs compared to when?

It's more likely that he's on the other side of that peak (a peak from like 06 - 17 say) but still a decent option for our team. It's recency bias saying he's worse than he's ever been.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

He's still better than he was early in his career. You just highlighted that he's throwing more INTs, for example

He threw 8 this season. 2001; 12. 2002; 14. 2003; 12. 2004; 14. 2005; 14....etc. So I ask, he's throwing more INTs compared to when?

It's more likely that he's on the other side of that peak (a peak from like 06 - 17 say) but still a decent option for our team. It's recency bias saying he's worse than he's ever been.

I'm not saying he is worse than he has ever been. As far as recency bias, I'd agree. I'm not sure I had realized he has thrown as many ints in the past but then would it not be fair to say many of those seasons he has thrown a lot more TDs and yards as well? (This is an assumption I didnt look).

Watching him it feels like he is on the downside of his peak. But it's not like he suddenly dropped off the face of the earth either. He is still a good QB and if NE actually gave a crap enough to get a real RB, WRs (other than Edelman) and a TE to replace Gronk, the offense might perform better.

The offense as a whole failed NE this season and the defense isnt the elite defense ppl wanted to pretend it was at the beginning of the season, it wasn't good enough to sustain the winning despite and offense not consistently scoring. (Similar story line as Pittsburgh, who had an overall better defense imo, but far worse offense).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I'm not saying he is worse than he has ever been. As far as recency bias, I'd agree. I'm not sure I had realized he has thrown as many ints in the past but then would it not be fair to say many of those seasons he has thrown a lot more TDs and yards as well? (This is an assumption I didnt look).

Watching him it feels like he is on the downside of his peak. But it's not like he suddenly dropped off the face of the earth either. He is still a good QB and if NE actually gave a crap enough to get a real RB, WRs (other than Edelman) and a TE to replace Gronk, the offense might perform better.

The offense as a whole failed NE this season and the defense isnt the elite defense ppl wanted to pretend it was at the beginning of the season, it wasn't good enough to sustain the winning despite and offense not consistently scoring. (Similar story line as Pittsburgh, who had an overall better defense imo, but far worse offense).

100%

15 hours ago, Split the Sticks said:

I like it. Tom would kick *** with that cowboys team. The line, the receivers, not sure about the TE returning though. No kidding., that scenario could have legs.

Similarly, I wouldn't mind Dak in New England. Been saying that all season if Brady retires, Dak has potential to be amazing.

In terms of him being "done", like or dislike Brady, he is one of those players who, imo, has earned the right to go out on his terms.

If he wants to return and it ends up being the worst mistake of his career (I'm not saying it would be, I'm posing a hypothetical) that's his choice, that's on him, but he has the right to make that decision. Idk if he is done as a player. I know this seemed like his least good year but he has been doing what he does for such a long time, it kind of blends together. Maybe he comes back and wins a SB, I dont think he will but it wouldnt be an astronomical event for me to be wrong, believe it or not, it happens a lot, just ask my wife lol.

Whatever he decides to do, as an NFL fan, he has my support ( I hope he retires lol)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im old enough to remember when the Patriots has Demaryius Thomas, Antonio Brown, Julien Edelmen and Josh Gordon on their roster

4 months old? Congrats.

It’s worth noting that Demaryus Thomas ended up being no great loss, and Josh Gordon was suspended yet again.

As far as their current roster they have a bunch of guys who can’t get separation. N’Keal Harry is the classic big guy who can’t get open, Sanu doesn’t scare anyone without Julio and Calvin Ridley taking all the attention, and Edelman- while good - is more of an ol’ faithful than a game breaker at this point in his career. Then you have a bunch of randoms no one wanted. Tom Brady has regressed but so has their talent pool on offence 

On 1/5/2020 at 12:04 AM, DannyB said:

If you've been following the Pats closely for the past 5 years you'd understand why it's at least up in the air. Lots of seemingly little things here and there, easy to dismiss on an individual level, but collectively? There's real smoke. The Patriots have also NEVER let him become a FA like they did this year. And he worked into his deal for this year that they can't franchise him; he WILL be a FA.

Brees was a FA in 2018.  Saints just resigned him. 

Although I think it is interesting Kraft vs BB.  I could easily see BB not wanting him back and Kraft forcing the issue.  Much like the rumors of the Garoppolo trade. Would BB stay if Kraft forced his hand?

5 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Brees was a FA in 2018.  Saints just resigned him. 

Although I think it is interesting Kraft vs BB.  I could easily see BB not wanting him back and Kraft forcing the issue.  Much like the rumors of the Garoppolo trade. Would BB stay if Kraft forced his hand?

Why on earth is that easily seen as a possibility to you?

Until they have a better option than Brady (which they don't right now), BB would not want to get rid of him.

I'd ask you this: Who, in your opinion, is a better option than Brady atm?

• Like 1