Divisional Round GDT - Vikings at 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Down 21-0 vs GB and then made a late run. Were down double digits pretty much all 2nd half vs Seahawks but made a late run. Lost to the Mahomes-less Chiefs. Definitely good that they compete in every game, but not seeing the bad luck? 

Vikings are a really good and talented team. But they earned the seed they got and their record. Against good teams they didn't play up to their capabilities all season long. Changed that today but don't think they were dealing with much bad luck. Legitimately were outplayed in those losses or had terrible starts to the game that put them in a deficit. 

Bad luck in the sense that close games typically ebb and flow and are usually seen as prime regression candidates one way or the other, regardless if how they got there.  Their record in one score games was / is bad

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Bad luck in the sense that close games typically ebb and flow and are usually seen as prime regression candidates one way or the other, regardless if how they got there.  Their record in one score games was / is bad

Got it, but that's also because they keep falling behind double digits. They legitimately look outclassed in spots in certain games and that should not happen with how talented they are. 

But like when they lost those games minus Chiefs, it's not like the game came down to the last play or anything. And of course, last meeting vs GB was UGLY in the 2nd half. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

2. Take the middle of the field away as Jimmy loves attacking that part of the field.

That is a HUGE concern for me. Their strength is up the middle with their safties. Harrison Smith is one of the best and Harris is no slouch. Shanny's going to really have to scheme up a solid gameplan.

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

That is a HUGE concern for me. Their strength is up the middle with their safties. Harrison Smith is one of the best and Harris is no slouch. Shanny's going to really have to scheme up a solid gameplan.

Kendricks at linebacker was also a first team all pro this year. 

• Like 1

I'm going to watch last year's match up in the next few days but I do recall the Vikings keeping the safeties in the middle of the field and playing press coverage on our WRs. Granted, our receiving core is MUCH improved from that game, but they did have a lot of success. Jimmy was certainly flustered and a bit unsure of himself. I do remember that the Vikings LBs struggled mightily keeping up with Kittle. When we would run the PA rollouts, Kittle would be able to hit the corner every single time. He also got some passes down the field but then dropped what would have been possibly a 80 yard TD. The Vikings DL owned our OL and we couldn't get much going on the ground. Tough tough game for Jimmy and tho offense. Of course this game is at home and he's more experienced with better weapons. But this defense really does have all pro caliber players at all levels. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't think I have to say this, but I will just for the sake of it. 

This game is a playoff game big for both franchises. We have two of the bigger fan bases on the site, and two of the best traveled as well (a lot of us move about the forum), and two of the most active. We like to talk. 

Please be welcoming and cordial to any Vikings fans that may wander in; they are not trolls and don't mean ill, just want to talk about the game. And likewise, they will be the same for us in theirs. 

That being said, an appropriate amount of crap talking is to be expected by all niner fans :P

We have a great group here, so I wouldn't expect issues. 

Thank you for your gracious statement; it's a ballgame, we have fun, nobody hates anyone.

I've been to SF before; where else can you get dim sum for real?

I'm a Vikings fan on the East Coast so I've not seen much of the Niners this year. The networks inflicted the Redskins on me. It's clear the Niners are a damn good team, and the game is gonna rock. Nobody's running away with this one. Of course I'm pulling for my team, but there isn't a better watch in sports than two good football teams giving it all they have. Enjoy the game, everyone.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm going to watch last year's match up in the next few days but I do recall the Vikings keeping the safeties in the middle of the field and playing press coverage on our WRs. Granted, our receiving core is MUCH improved from that game, but they did have a lot of success. Jimmy was certainly flustered and a bit unsure of himself. I do remember that the Vikings LBs struggled mightily keeping up with Kittle. When we would run the PA rollouts, Kittle would be able to hit the corner every single time. He also got some passes down the field but then dropped what would have been possibly a 80 yard TD. The Vikings DL owned our OL and we couldn't get much going on the ground. Tough tough game for Jimmy and tho offense. Of course this game is at home and he's more experienced with better weapons. But this defense really does have all pro caliber players at all levels. 

So what would be the keys to success on offense? Targeting Rhodes? Getting our weapons involved in space/pitch runs/reverses? I do trust Shanny, but he sometimes outthinks himself too much. Would like to see more Mostert/Breida and less Coleman, for example

Next week would be a great time for 1st half of the season defense to come back. Really would like to see Ford/Bosa feast

Edited by 49ersfan

17 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We also got banged up. I think that was the game mcg ended up playing guard. Could be wrong though

26 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

So what would be the keys to success on offense? Targeting Rhodes? Getting our weapons involved in space/pitch runs/reverses? I do trust Shanny, but he sometimes outthinks himself too much. Would like to see more Mostert/Breida and less Coleman, for example

Next week would be a great time for 1st half of the season defense to come back. Really would like to see Ford/Bosa feast

We just have to do what we have been doing. I think Sanders has a big advantage with the type of corners the Vikings have. His precise route running and quickness will get him a lot of opportunities. IIRC, the Packers had a lot of success with the outside zone last meeting. Is that accurate @gopherwrestler? We will have to break some big runs like always. 

The truth is, the Vikings are very similar to us. A lot of similar run principles and PA usage. Whoever wins the battles up front will have the upper hand. 

33 minutes ago, Forge said:

We also got banged up. I think that was the game mcg ended up playing guard. Could be wrong though

Yep, McGlinchey had to play guard and I think we lost Goodwin pretty early that game. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

The gameplan will have to be pass heavy b/c the Vikings defense can stop the run as they did to Kamara today. As long as Jimmy gets protected he should be fine and no dumb playcalls from Shannahan. Also an uptempo offense would be nice since it slows down the pass rush and then you can mix in some runs when you snap the ball quickly. Need TD's in the redzone for a change so they don't let the Vikings hang around all day.

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We just have to do what we have been doing. I think Sanders has a big advantage with the type of corners the Vikings have. His precise route running and quickness will get him a lot of opportunities. IIRC, the Packers had a lot of success with the outside zone last meeting. Is that accurate @gopherwrestler? We will have to break some big runs like always. 

We could use Pettis, but that's not happening lol

11 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The truth is, the Vikings are very similar to us. A lot of similar run principles and PA usage. Whoever wins the battles up front will have the upper hand. 

Yep, McGlinchey had to play guard and I think we lost Goodwin pretty early that game. 

I’m pretty sure there were some big missed opportunities in the passing game if I’m remembering correctly. I feel like there was a big play to Kittle that may have been dropped and some missed throws from Jimmy. 

This 49ers team is a very different team from last year’s season opener. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Whoever wins the battles up front will have the upper hand. 

You are so right. Hardly anyone pays attention to line play because the one-handed catch makes the highlights. The theme of losing teams is lousy line play. Record a game and ignore the ball. Watch what the big guys do. They're the backbeat to the ballgame.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Down 21-0 vs GB and then made a late run. Were down double digits pretty much all 2nd half vs Seahawks but made a late run. Lost to the Mahomes-less Chiefs. Definitely good that they compete in every game, but not seeing the bad luck? 

Vikings are a really good and talented team. But they earned the seed they got and their record. Against good teams they didn't play up to their capabilities all season long. Changed that today but don't think they were dealing with much bad luck. Legitimately were outplayed in those losses or had terrible starts to the game that put them in a deficit. 

Few things...Vikings-GB first game was a very tight one...it wasn't a case of making late run....even though GB went up 21-0 in first Q, Vikings went into half only down 10-21, it should have been 14-21 but Packers got a bogus OPI call which took away a TD...it was then 16-21 in 4th Q and Vikings were in red zone with ball...they were in a pretty damn good position to take the lead but then Cousins made a big mistake and threw an interception in end zone (probably the only end zone interception he has thrown last 2 years)...Packers held on to 21-16 lead.

They played not to lose vs Chiefs in 4th Q (just like how they did today vs Saints) and unlike today, it ended up costing vs Chiefs. One difference is that Thielen didn't play either of the Chiefs, Seahawks games and he should be fully fit for next week. Defense has also looked better in last few weeks of the season. The only game this season where I thought they were kinda outplayed was the 2nd Packers game where Packers defense dominated the offense totally. Vikings big problem is they are very conservative...which is costly against good teams...you could clearly see it today in 2nd half...Run Run Pass, that's not gonna cut down every time.

Edited by upriser7

14 minutes ago, upriser7 said:

Few things...Vikings-GB first game was a very tight one...it wasn't a case of making late run....even though GB went up 21-0 in first Q, Vikings went into half only down 10-21, it should have been 14-21 but Packers got a bogus OPI call which took away a TD...it was then 16-21 in 4th Q and Vikings were in red zone with ball...they were in a pretty damn good position to take the lead but then Cousins made a big mistake and threw an interception in end zone (probably the only end zone interception he has thrown last 2 years)...Packers held on to 21-16 lead.

They played not to lose vs Chiefs in 4th Q (just like how they did today vs Saints) and unlike today, it ended up costing vs Chiefs. One difference is that Thielen didn't play either of the Chiefs, Seahawks games and he should be fully fit for next week. Defense has also looked better in last few weeks of the season. The only game this season where I thought they were kinda outplayed was the 2nd Packers game where Packers defense dominated the offense totally. Vikings big problem is they are very conservative...which is costly against good teams...you could clearly see it today in 2nd half...Run Run Pass, that's not gonna cut down every time.

I didn't say it wasn't a tight one, I remember that game. But the reason you guys lost was because Cousins was utter garbage and you guys fell down 21-0. I don't consider that bad luck or anything. At no point did the Vikings ever lead in that game. It was their undoing that got the Packers that lead. Because after the Packers got that big lead, they hardly did anything offensively the rest of the game. Against the Seahawks, at one point you guys were down 34-17 before making a late run at it. Another game I don' think had to do with bad luck. Terrible turnovers and some busts in coverages was the reason for that loss.

Anyways, as I've mentioned, you guys are really good and talented. There's no doubt about that. And we have had trouble putting teams away ourselves. Had 9 point leads against both NO and ATL in the 4th quarter and blew the ATL game at the end. Then were up double figures against Seattle last week and barely hung on to win. So both teams have similar problems in that regard.