Is Drew Brees overrated?

rocky_rams

37 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Do you know what I was responding to?

it was just a friendly jab at how people in general are always going on about SB titles QB's have and QB debates in general. Maybe I have committed Trolling of all things but ll is good, no harm intended at least.  I don't normally get involved with these threads about QB's, I might comment a few a fear at the most.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrnastiesNO said:

Prove it.  Show were he wilts. 

You not see his fumble Sunday? 

Saying he is 3rd in come from behind Brady and Manning is still good company.

I am not taking anything from Brees, just saying he has benefitted greatly from having Payton.

3 hours ago, SkippyX said:

He is a 103.9 rated home QB and a 92.8 rated road QB. That's a huge difference of +11.1

• Matt Ryan is 97.8 to 91.8  +6.0 difference
  • Romo was 97.2 to 97.1  +0.1 difference
  • Brady is 98.5 to 95.6  +3.1 difference
  • Joe Montana was 89.4 to 95.2  -5.8 difference
  • Peyton Manning was 98.8 to 93.3 +5.5 difference
  • Rodgers is 107.3 to 97.8  +9.5 difference
  • Russel Wilson is 103.2 to 99.2  +4.0
  • Rivers is 95.6 to 94.6  +1.0
  • Warner was 96.8 to 90.9  +5.9
  • Roethlisberger is 98.9 to 89.3  +9.6
  • Young was 100.3 to 92.9 +7.4
  • Cousins is 99.9 to 94.0  +5.9
  • Dak is 101.1 to 92.9 +8.2
  • Wentz is 98.1 to 87.5  +10.6

In this list of the top 15 rated QBs, Brees is the 11th best rated road QB.

If he is the 2nd best statistical home QB and the 11th best statistical road QB and is 8-8 in the playoffs does he come out around 7th-10th best maybe?

His completion % numbers belong in proper context:

He plays more of a game manager short passer role now. (of course he is capable of occasionally going nuts like this December but that's not his normal offense)

Check out the yards per completion numbers year over year. You have to go back to 2012 to find Brees in the top half of the league.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

Dink and Dunk will always yield a higher completion %. He is the greatest ever at dink and dunk. But it is dink and dunk.

• Air yards stats back this up

Teddy was 5-0 in that offense at 10.4 yards per completion (good for 30th best along with Wentz throwing to practice squad dudes)

Wentz was 4th at 12.4 in 2017 when he was in the MVP race and Philly was 11-2 before his injury

Goff was 

FYI - part of Brady's recent statistical decline is seeing his 6th and 8th ranking in yards per completion in '16 and '17 fall to 14th and 23rd the last 2 years.

Brees' decline in that statistic started in 2013.

• He had 22 TDs to 4 picks in the playoffs before 2013 and 12 TDs to 8 picks since.

Maybe dinkin' and dunkin' is not built for the playoffs?

Goff was? 

1 minute ago, rocky_rams said:

No way! I was being sarcastic. They’re not even close in my opinion. But I could be biased because TB12 is my all time fav QB

Right, right good lol. I think they are close, though (in ability, not legacy). 

If anything, I’d say Brees spending his whole career with a Belichick would be a big equalizer. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silver said:

That is a great point. Proof that guys with completely different skill sets have done well. Takes nothing away from Brees, but does make the idea that Rivers would be a better quarterback if he had Payton for 10 years more than plausible.

I wouldn't go that far.

And no, Brees isn't overrated. He's rated exactly where he should be. The guy was never the best athlete but got where he is because of hard work. Watching him in SD til now, you can see the progression. His size and arm strength limited him initially. For example when he was with the Chargers, he had problems throwing a simple slant because he couldn't see over his OL. But he founds ways to overcome that with his pocket presence, moving in such a subtle way that allows him to see through his OL. Smart head coaches like Payton know how to maximize the potential of someone like Brees. Much like how we're seeing someone like Reid maximize Mahome's potential.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2020 at 11:58 AM, Danger said:

At this point in his career. Drew Brees is overrated. Drew Brees is declining, just more slowly than some others we've seen.

I'd say he's been slightly overrated for a while, honestly.

Back when "Why Your Team Sucks" was funny and Drew Magary was capable of writing an article that didn't turn into a bitchy political temper tantrum, I remember him saying about Drew Brees (not verbatim), "When you have Drew Brees as your QB, you can rest assured that every drive will end in either a) a TD, or b) a horrific INT that's somehow never his fault." Seriously, could you imagine what the response would be if, say, any QB who entered the NFL in 2004, threw an INT into double coverage just before halftime with an open man near the first-down marker, or lost a fumble in the red zone in the fourth quarter, and his team lost a playoff game? I guarantee you it'd be much more negative than it's been for Brees.

Most people don't realize that Brees threw 84 INTs from 2010-2014, including 22 in 2010, when the Saints defense ranked 7th in points allowed. He also led the NFL in INTs in 2012. In fact, he's averaged at least one INT per game in six out of 19 seasons. By comparison, Ben Roethlisberger, supposedly a "turnover machine," has averaged at least one INT per game in only three out of 16 seasons. It's also worth noting that Brees' efficiency has improved in the last three seasons -- in conjunction with throwing the ball less.

Bottom line, Drew Brees is an undisputed first-ballot Hall-of-Fame QB. But he's not better than Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, and he's not one of the top 10 QBs of all time either.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I suppose he is overrrated if we have lots of folks claiming he’s 2nd or third best all time.

I never thought that though, and I guess that’s where the disconnect comes in.

I would agree with this. I'd say Brees is in the 6-10 range (closer to 10 than 6, if we're being honest). 

• Like 2