Jay Glazer: new hc is mccarthy

Texas_OutLaw7

Take it from a Packers fan. The guy can coach and unfortunately his GMs refusal to patch holes through FA  and many many defensive misses in the draft lead to a stale looking team. He may still be in GB if Ted Thompson did his job. He gets a bad reputation on this forum but he is better than he is given credit for. His teams of the last years in GB were deeply flawed and usually riddled with injuries. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/16/mike-mccarthy-coaching-nfl-fmia-week-15-peter-king/

There’s a flow chart for his proposed 14-person Football Technology Department, including a six-person video unit and an eight-person analytics team. The Chief of Football Technology tops the department, which will run both video and analytics. The top analytics lieutenants will be a Coordinator of Database Management, Coordinator of Football Analytics and Coordinator of Mathematical Innovation. Below them: Football Technology Engineer and two Football Technology Analysts. And finally, a Football Technology Intern. McCarthy spent a day last summer at Pro Football Focus offices in Cincinnati, discovering how much more data is available than he realized. PFF data will be a key component of his analytics tree, as will GPS tracking of players and Next Gen Stats”

this is the one thing that intrigues me. I want to see how McCarthy evolves with the addition of an analytics department.

He isn’t a sexy hire but a solid hire. I’m more interested on what he does with his staff. In particular the Defense side of the ball

A few points here:

1. He seems genuine in his desire to implement analytics decisions into his coaching practice. That's a positive sign.
  2. Many organizations invest millions of dollars into their data platforms, discuss constantly about making data-driven decisions, only to have dinosaur managers who don't really know how to use any of it.
  3. We talk about analytics like it's black and white. But it's actually very grey. A great manager has a really strong grasp of data, both its power and its limitations, and combines that with intangible knowledge to make good subjective decisions. I'm just super skeptical that Mike McCarthy is the guy who can do that. Hope I'm wrong.
  4. That said, if using analytics helps him make some clear-cut changes (like being more aggressive on 4th down, utilizing more play action, etc.) then this will probably still be a net-positive.
  5. Not consequential, but my consultant brain won't let me ignore it: what he calls a "flow chart" is actually an "org chart". some