2020 Offseason News and Discussion - Bargain Hunting

Kiltman

4 minutes ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

Yeah im questioning this for several reasons

1 while it was impressive he was able to play thru a hernia, no he wasn't impressive in any way shape or form. 

2 both Kama Grugier Hill and Nigel Bradham are free agents. I think TJ Edwards will fill one job as he was our best linebacker this past season and played well in all facets, but that's still another spot we need to fill if wer play out of the nickel as our base defense. 

3 we straight up need depth at linebacker as well. We have no one there under contract who has done anything in the league.

I'm hoping for Cory Liddleton in free agency. Hes Nate Gerry if Gerry wasnt Sean Considine levels of bad tackling and wasnt mediocre in coverage as a "coverage linebacker"

Good on Gerry for playing thru injury but he hasn't looked like anything more than a special teams guy at best thus far in his career.  

For a team that was above avg vs the run he had to play decently considering he played all 16 games. He might have missed his share of tackles but I’m sure his pct is higher than you expect. This is the most amount of snaps he’s had since he was drafted. I think he will get better

5 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:
6 hours ago, DeJack_10 said:

Heard Jax and JDF mutually parted ways, technically not fired.

What if the reason he left the Jags was to take our vacant OC job? O.o

Not a far fetched theory in the slightest 

I doubt it. He would have had more autonomy in Jacksonville than he would here.

12 hours ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

1 while it was impressive he was able to play thru a hernia, no he wasn't impressive in any way shape or form. 

2 both Kama Grugier Hill and Nigel Bradham are free agents. I think TJ Edwards will fill one job as he was our best linebacker this past season and played well in all facets, but that's still another spot we need to fill if wer play out of the nickel as our base defense. 

3 we straight up need depth at linebacker as well. We have no one there under contract who has done anything in the league.

I'm hoping for Cory Liddleton in free agency. Hes Nate Gerry if Gerry wasnt Sean Considine levels of bad tackling and wasnt mediocre in coverage as a "coverage linebacker"

Good on Gerry for playing thru injury but he hasn't looked like anything more than a special teams guy at best thus far in his career.  

TJ Edwards an UDFA was our best lineback this past season?

Jesus Christ, we really need to step back and rethink how we value roster construction.

11 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

I’d rather be subservient in Philadelphia than autonomous in Jacksonville.

I mean have you ever been to that place? Yikes.....

I’d rather be autonomous prime and turn into a truck and fight alien robots. But that’s just me. 

2 minutes ago, Broadway Joe said:

The post I just quoted

Fair enough

12 hours ago, EaglesFan5-36-81 said:

I can't get behind this statement that TJ Edwards was our best LB he played 112 snaps this season. He played sparingly in all16 games and still was behind Zach Brown in tackles who played 6. He played 21 snaps vs Dallas the first time around 3 tackles. 

TJ has potential but that hyperbole is just wow. 

12 hours ago, nlesthought said:

It was a joke considering there were no 4-3 OLBs on that list 

Ah. I thought you were referencing something I said. 

I think it’s hard to put 4-3 OLBs on that list over 3-4 OLBs because of how stat driven 3-4 LBs are. You’d probably put a 3-4 OLB with 50 tackles, 13 sacks and 3 FFs over a 4-3 OLB with 115 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 INTs and 1 FF. Both I guess had pretty good years for their position but the guy with 13 sacks is constantly pressuring the QB and changing games. And he’s a “LB”. I think the better assessments are ones that couple OLBs and DEs as “Edge” defenders. 

1 minute ago, Jroc04 said:

Ah. I thought you were referencing something I said. 

I think it’s hard to put 4-3 OLBs on that list over 3-4 OLBs because of how stat driven 3-4 LBs are. You’d probably put a 3-4 OLB with 50 tackles, 13 sacks and 3 FFs over a 4-3 OLB with 115 tackles, 2 sacks, 2 INTs and 1 FF. Both I guess had pretty good years for their position but the guy with 13 sacks is constantly pressuring the QB and changing games. And he’s a “LB”. I think the better assessments are ones that couple OLBs and DEs as “Edge” defenders. 

I agree they need to couple both OLB rushers and DEs together. 3-4 OLBs aren't the same as 2nd level OLBs in terms of responsibilities. Not sure why the game has started to emphasize importance of positions ie like Nickel corners get a lot of love. Not sure why, I mean some teams move their best corners inside to the slot. Some use a 3rd safety/tweener. 

4-3 OLBs are getting the amount of love as FBs, and LS. 

• Like 1

So it looks like the Nfl really wants this 17 game season... I wonder if they just add another game salary to existing contracts or if they will just roll over? Our contracts will be looking good if that happens. Plus, they’re going to get extra revenue share, and the huge tv deal in 2021. Get them locked up! 

3 minutes ago, nlesthought said:

I agree they need to couple both OLB rushers and DEs together. 3-4 OLBs aren't the same as 2nd level OLBs in terms of responsibilities. Not sure why the game has started to emphasize importance of positions ie like Nickel corners get a lot of love. Not sure why, I mean some teams move their best corners inside to the slot. Some use a 3rd safety/tweener. 

4-3 OLBs are getting the amount of love as FBs, and LS. 

Yea. The 4-3 OLB is all but gone. Especially with how much teams will pay for one. I think they’d rather just mold those guys into a MLB if they’re that good and run a nickel base. Or a 4-1-6 with a free roaming hybrid safety type. Like Jenkins/Gerry all year. 

14 minutes ago, DeSean Jackson said:

So it looks like the Nfl really wants this 17 game season... I wonder if they just add another game salary to existing contracts or if they will just roll over? Our contracts will be looking good if that happens. Plus, they’re going to get extra revenue share, and the huge tv deal in 2021. Get them locked up! 

Yeah it’s probably just tack on the value they get each game. Certain guys that have performance based bonuses could be helped by it.

Any deals we have now and this offseason we shouldn’t get too worked up about though yeah. Cause that new CBA and influx of money is gonna make it all manageable.

Curious what they do for scheduling. I’ve long thought it’d be cool to have a cross conference rival and get to play more often. But now I think it’s probably best to just have it be any cross conference game, but can be any of the 16 teams. Would impact Conference tiebreakers the least aside from W-L and points.

But that’s give the league 16 neutral site games every year to play with. Which would allow them to try different international markets. With Jacksonville still having ties to London. You might be able to double dip and get 18 games out of it. Have a team play the Jags in London, then could play their “17th” game in Germany the next week before coming home for a bye.