How would you feel if Haskins isn’t the starter?

turtle28

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

Maybe, who knows?

I do.  Based on the majority of the arguments I see used against Haskins, it's usually either bashing his traditional stats in general and/or bashing his appearances in his two games coming off the bench, where he threw 4 of his 7 INTs, in particular.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I do.  Based on the majority of the arguments I see used against Haskins, it's usually either bashing his traditional stats in general and/or bashing his appearances in his two games coming off the bench, where he threw 4 of his 7 INTs, in particular.

I mean who knows if he will be good or not? A lot of people were never high on him despite what he did last year. 

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I mean who knows if he will be good or not? A lot of people were never high on him despite what he did last year. 

And I have no problems with those people.  It's just the people who try to justify their reasons for why he "sucks" with extremely lazy analysis.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Have to agree with this. 

The league (along with the vast majority of observers) was higher on Haskins than Lock coming into the draft. Lock went almost a full round later than Haskins. 

So what happened last season that would cause Lock to jump up to 15th most coveted player in the entire league, while also causing Haskins to drop to undesired afterthought status, not even one of the top 32 available QBs? Lock must have hugely outplayed Haskins...right?

Well, not so much. Take their starts and see how they stack up.

Lock (5 starts): 64.1%, 6.5 Y/A, 7 TDs, 3 INTs, 89.7 rating

Haskins (7 starts): 59.1%, 6.8 Y/A, 7 TDs, 3 INTs, 85.5 rating

Very little difference. And that doesn’t include some of the more advanced metrics and ratings, that I know @HTTRDynasty is very familiar, that show the quality of Haskins’s play after midseason. Given that Haskins is a year younger, had substantially less college experience to fall back on, and got handed basically 3 separate offenses to work with — it’s pretty remarkable that it was so close.

So why the vast difference in opinion? I think it’s the power of first impressions. Or primacy, as we call it in the law game (and probably lots of other games). The first insight people got about Haskins was “Jay Gruden doesn’t think he’s close to ready,” followed two games where he got thrown to the wolves as a grossly unprepared backup and sucked. Which set the first impression in stone, and no matter how much progress he made, people left with the sense that he was terrible and not an NFL QB. Lock was hurt and got to sit out most of the year, watching and learning before he got the call. He went out and threw 5 TDs in his first two games, and even though he was pretty ho hum overall after that (78 rating and 5.7 Y/A), everyone hung on to that first impression that this kid was really taking the league by storm.

It’s not just Lock. Haskins’s numbers as a starter were comparable to (and in many eyes, better than) all the other rookies, but he’s viewed hugely differently. It has to be primarily about the first impressions. 

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 3

What @HTTRDynasty is exactly right. The People who say Haskins sucks and are basing it off of an extremely short, short sample size are lazy in their analysis.

Haskins has only started 7 games, and he only played 1/2 of that 7th game bc of his ankle injury. And, he just turned 23, it’s just a ridiculous position to have if someone has already made up their mind that Haskins sucks and will never be a good starter.

And they bring up his 7 interceptions in 7 starts and totally overlook the fact that 3 of those interceptions were in his first ever game action when he was coming off the bench and his HC at the time didn’t want to get him prepared for the games. 

In Haskins 7 starts, and again he didn’t finish the 7th game, his stats in those 6.5 games were:

62%, 1225 yds, 7 TDs & only 3 ints

In his final 2.5 games played he had 5 TDs & just 1 int.

I understand people not being convinced of Haskins yet, I’m one of his biggest fans and I’m not convinced he’s going to be a good starter yet but, to be convinced he’s going to suck based off of 7 starts where 1/2 of his ints were thrown when he was put in off the bench in his first NFL regular season action is not a fair analysis.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That's been a problem for years, but most fans blame the QB's instead of the WRs for running poor routes short of the sticks.

Its the same problem on defense, our corners & ILBs for the most part this decade haven’t sat at the sticks and kept everything in front of them and then made the tackle to get off the field on 3rd down, that’s why we are one of the 5 worst - if not the worst - 3rd down % D of this decade which cost us games.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, turtle28 said:

That's been a problem for years, but most fans blame the QB's instead of the WRs for running poor routes short of the sticks.

Its the same problem on defense, our corners & ILBs for the most part this decade haven’t sat at the sticks and kept everything in front of them and then made the tackle to get off the field on 3rd down, that’s why we are one of the 5 worst - if not the worst - 3rd down % D of this decade which cost us games.

All of those Tampa Bay coaches sure know how to coach, am I right? 

• Like 1