If Brady does in fact leave...

Elky

7 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

Let's say that Bill has a 2-3 year turnover plan for the next dynasty. Someone mentioned on a podcast that you guys have 30 players with salaries of $1M+, which is geared towards contending for a championship. What good is a now 31/32 year old CB with a $19M cap hit on a rebuilding roster?

If he's still elite keep him. Lockdown CBs that can keep #1s on an island are invaluable in today's NFL.

1 minute ago, Elky said:

If he's still elite keep him. Lockdown CBs that can keep #1s on an island are invaluable in today's NFL.

I'm looking at it from a Patriots: Motor City Edition perspective but also keeping Boston Bill in mind. Brady is now gone. Cap is tight. BB has the clout with all of those rings to say "we have a plan and we're going to be back to win more rings" to keep his job. There's zero chance that he gets fired unless he has 2-3 bad seasons without Brady. 

The Lions are looking to build the culture that is established in NE and a guy like Gilmore would be a part of bringing that over. With Quinn and Patricia on a short leash, they could use a guy like Gilmore to solidify the defense. I think you guys would eat about $7-8M this year while he'd cost us under $11M. A Slay-esque haul of a 3rd and 5th or maybe a late round 2nd (from a trade down scenario) would be a win-win IMO for both teams. Lions shore up their coverage with a proven veteran that adds to the culture change. Patriots get more cap space and draft picks to rebuild for life after Brady. 

3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

I'm looking at it from a Patriots: Motor City Edition perspective but also keeping Boston Bill in mind. Brady is now gone. Cap is tight. BB has the clout with all of those rings to say "we have a plan and we're going to be back to win more rings" to keep his job. There's zero chance that he gets fired unless he has 2-3 bad seasons without Brady. 

The Lions are looking to build the culture that is established in NE and a guy like Gilmore would be a part of bringing that over. With Quinn and Patricia on a short leash, they could use a guy like Gilmore to solidify the defense. I think you guys would eat about $7-8M this year while he'd cost us under $11M. A Slay-esque haul of a 3rd and 5th or maybe a late round 2nd (from a trade down scenario) would be a win-win IMO for both teams. Lions shore up their coverage with a proven veteran that adds to the culture change. Patriots get more cap space and draft picks to rebuild for life after Brady. 

Your looking at this as a Miami Marlins firesale and rebuild, but I don't think that is what the plan is. I think the plan is to move forward and keep trying to win. 

11 hours ago, jofos said:

Your looking at this as a Miami Marlins firesale and rebuild, but I don't think that is what the plan is. I think the plan is to move forward and keep trying to win. 

That's fair. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. 

You guys still have a Top 2 Defense in the NFL. No way Bill looks to rebuild imo. Gotta be a signing of Winston or a trade for Carr or Dalton. Dalton is the most likely option but would Bill consider giving 23 for Carr? He does have a laser arm for McDaniels and on a value contract of 19M per. I’m not high on Carr myself but he’s certainly better than Dalton. 

I just have a feeling the Raiders will try to trade 12/19/81 for 3 to get Tua. 

Advanced issues found

👔
6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You guys still have a Top 2 Defense in the NFL. No way Bill looks to rebuild imo. Gotta be a signing of Winston or a trade for Carr or Dalton. Dalton is the most likely option but would Bill consider giving 23 for Carr? He does have a laser arm for McDaniels and on a value contract of 19M per. I’m not high on Carr myself but he’s certainly better than Dalton. 

I just have a feeling the Raiders will try to trade 12/19/81 for 3 to get Tua. 

That lost all its LBs (except Hightower). And now has a QB that won't be so reliable in terms of limiting turnovers. If nothing changes, I would expect a big-time regression from the D.

• Like 1

What is the consensus here, do we want Stidham to get a shot or go in another direction?  Personally I think he looked really good last pre-season so I'd give him a chance.

mission is officially a duel Pats-Bucs fan for the time being but I'll still post in here because I know how much you all love me

41 minutes ago, mission27 said:

What is the consensus here, do we want Stidham to get a shot or go in another direction?  Personally I think he looked really good last pre-season so I'd give him a chance.

mission is officially a duel Pats-Bucs fan for the time being but I'll still post in here because I know how much you all love me

This is Stidham's team now.

Until Jake Fromm takes over and leads for half a season. ;)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

well I am officially in his corner

Unless Jordan Love falls to their pick in the first, or one of Eason/Hurts/Fromm is sitting there in the third, I don't think they'll take a QB that isn't a random sixth rounder at like pick 199 or something.

15 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Unless Jordan Love falls to their pick in the first, or one of Eason/Hurts/Fromm is sitting there in the third, I don't think they'll take a QB that isn't a random sixth rounder at like pick 199 or something.

I like Love's boom, but his bust is a little too risky for me to take. Some team will take a calculated risk with a 1st rounder, and I'm not sure New England can afford to do that given the needs on the roster. He's going to need to sit a year or two as well to mature and learn and New England doesn't have the mentor at that position any longer.