Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

20 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I'm fine with that since they don't have a lot of options outside of the draft, but Stephen was legitimately terrible this year and was a big reason the run defense was pretty bad.

The run defense was actually really good (and certainly better than it was in 2018), I'm not sure where that opinion comes from.  

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

The run defense was actually really good (and certainly better than it was in 2018), I'm not sure where that opinion comes from.  

I think in some of the bigger games this year, KC, Seattle, second GB game, the Vikes defense struggled against the run. I don’t really care to evaluate how the team did against the Lions, Falcons and Raiders, Cook ran all over those teams and run defense wasn’t a factor. Looking at the games against playoff teams, Cook couldn’t get going and the Vikes run defense was unreliable. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Hyperborean said:

Personally, I think the Barr and Rudolph extensions recently were irresponsible.

I thought that about Rudy but he had a really good season this past year. I don't think he's going anywhere. Hopefully Kubiak can get a little more creative with Irv Smith next season.

25 minutes ago, RpMc said:

Super Bowl pretty much showed that the formula the Vikings want to follow has to be executed perfectly in order to succeed... would sure be nice to have some wiggle room given by a franchise-type QB.... sigh.

If the 49ers would have continued to run the ball it would have probably been a different story. Just ask Tyrann Mathieu.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/02/tyrann-mathieu-was-grateful-when-49ers-started-to-throw-the-ball/

50 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think in some of the bigger games this year, KC, Seattle, second GB game, the Vikes defense struggled against the run. I don’t really care to evaluate how the team did against the Lions, Falcons and Raiders, Cook ran all over those teams and run defense wasn’t a factor. Looking at the games against playoff teams, Cook couldn’t get going and the Vikes run defense was unreliable. 

I can't really recall the some of the other ones, but in that KC game (since I was there), the run defense was elite, except for 1 run.  Unfortunately, that 1 run cost them the game.  The only truly dreadful game against the run was that Seattle game.  

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I can't really recall the some of the other ones, but in that KC game (since I was there), the run defense was elite, except for 1 run.  Unfortunately, that 1 run cost them the game.  The only truly dreadful game against the run was that Seattle game.  

They gave up 154 rush yards to Jones against GB with a division title still in play. That’s dreadful. And 116 yards in the first game, another loss.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'll be honest I'm not getting this from any stats, so could be wrong, but to my recollection the run defense really fell off in the second half of the season, especially against good teams that had a lead on them.

Stephen was a big part of this because he rarely got double teamed and when he did get DT he got beat badly. And he isnt explosive enough when not double teamed to make the team pay. He was a very legitimate liability and even a switch to NT doesn't seem like it would help imo

2 hours ago, Nozizaki said:

On a rookie deal? He's a good run blocker and solid depth, he just shouldn't be starting.

If he remains on the team, he should be on the bench. 

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

It was all related this year it seemed. When we lost we lost the time of possession battle in a BIG way. Defense was on the field more and probably exhausted. 

3 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

It was all related this year it seemed. When we lost we lost the time of possession battle in a BIG way. Defense was on the field more and probably exhausted. 

ToP is entirely descriptive and says very little about how and why a team wins/loses

On 12/30/2019 at 1:37 PM, VikeManDan said:

Updated table above through the end of the season and posted it below. I went back and also added Time-of-Possession stats for each game as well. We've been absolutely destroyed in TOP in our losses (minus KC). Hard to win games when you only have the ball for ~24 minutes. Perhaps other people can come to different conclusions provided these data points. I'd be interested to hear them.

Week Points For Points Allowed Opponent Outcome Opponent's Record before Kickoff TOP OTOP
1 28 12 ATL W 0-0 29:47 30:13
2 16 21 at GB L 1-0 25:54 34:06
3 34 14 OAK W 1-1 31:32 28:28
4 6 16 at CHI L 2-1 24:33 35:27
5 28 10 at NYG W 2-2 32:40 27:20
6 38 20 PHI W 3-2 32:04 27:56
7 42 30 at DET W 2-2-1 32:10 27:50
8 19 9 WAS W 1-6 36:36 23:24
9 23 26 at KC L 5-3 28:12 31:48
10 28 24 at DAL W 5-3 33:27 26:33
11 27 23 DEN W 3-6 23:17 36:43
13 30 37 at SEA L 9-2 20:15 39:45