Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

It works if there is a target you can get, and you are right.......Anyone LOVE a QB, and think they can be elite in less than two years, that is realistic to get?

I'm not plugged into the draft at this point this year, but Tua still has a chance to slip to the 10th pick or maybe later, and from my understanding he is that type of prospect (based solely on other people's evaluations)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

I'm not plugged into the draft at this point this year, but Tua still has a chance to slip to the 10th pick or maybe later, and from my understanding he is that type of prospect (based solely on other people's evaluations)

Let’s not forget, Mahomes wasn’t that sought after of a prospect. He went top 10, but QB needy teams did choose not to take him. Including the Bears who took Trubisky top 3. I honestly didn’t pay much attention to that draft because the Vikings idiotically traded their first round pick for Bradford (which very well could have been used to draft Mahomes or Watson), sometimes you just have to take a chance on a prospect with elite measurables and hope you have the team around that player to elevate them. But I fear that the Vikes will choose the safe route in Cousins and “build” around him.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

sometimes you just have to take a chance on a prospect with elite measurables and hope you have the team around that player to elevate them. But I fear that the Vikes will choose the safe route in Cousins and “build” around him.

If they play things right, they could take that safe route and then still end up with a great team around a young QB later.

Ultimately its takes a pretty special cocktail of opportunity and luck to end up with the Chiefs/Mahomes combination, that a team probably shouldn't build their plans around. With the only caveat being, unless there is a prospect that you feel as strongly as the Chiefs did with Mahomes.

13 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

They would be stupid - and I don’t throw that word around lightly - to move their best offensive player. There are plenty of moves to be made elsewhere that don’t require trading the best offensive player and 2nd/3rd best player on the roster. Especially at his age and price.

You must be talking about Dalvin Cook, because I don't feel that Diggs is the best offensive player on the roster.  While he is a very good player, when we're talking about important pieces to an offense, wide receiver might just be last on the list.  

22 minutes ago, swede700 said:

You must be talking about Dalvin Cook, because I don't feel that Diggs is the best offensive player on the roster.  While he is a very good player, when we're talking about important pieces to an offense, wide receiver might just be last on the list.  

Diggs is a better and more important player for the Vikings. Running backs are the most replaceable pieces in any offense - we've seen this demonstrated time and time again. I have yet to see a team lose a 1A receiver and maintain anything close to that level of production with a replacement player.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Diggs is a better and more important player for the Vikings. Running backs are the most replaceable pieces in any offense - we've seen this demonstrated time and time again. I have yet to see a team lose a 1A receiver and maintain anything close to that level of production with a replacement player.

How many of those teams with a 1A receiver even made it to the Super Bowl recently?  (Of course, that depends upon what your definition of a 1A receiver is)

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

How many of those teams with a 1A receiver even made it to the Super Bowl recently?  (Of course, that depends upon what your definition of a 1A receiver is)

Tyreek Hill, Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, and Julio Jones have played in 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls.

Meanwhile, Gurley is the only top flight RB to make it to a SB after getting paid, and he sat on the bench watching a street FA carry the run game through the playoffs.

Primary receiving threats are more important than running backs. The Vikings are blessed and well positioned because they have 2 of them and a cheap, rookie contract RB. Trading away the best offensive threat on the team would not be prudent.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Tyreek Hill, Brandin Cooks, Robert Woods, and Julio Jones have played in 3 of the last 4 Super Bowls.

Meanwhile, Gurley is the only top flight RB to make it to a SB after getting paid, and he sat on the bench watching a street FA carry the run game through the playoffs.

Primary receiving threats are more important than running backs. The Vikings are blessed and well positioned because they have 2 of them and a cheap, rookie contract RB. Trading away the best offensive threat on the team would not be prudent.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Diggs being the best offensive threat.  He's certainly one of the better players on the team, but whether through the fault of his own or not (most likely not), he has to rely on a QB getting him the ball, which by the nature of itself, makes his position less valuable.  We can certainly argue on which order to put them in, either RB or WR, but both are certainly far less valuable than either QB or offensive line.  Therefore, they are eminently replaceable. And BTW, both Cooks and Woods were on their 3rd and 2nd teams respectively, so they certainly were deemed to be replaceable, one of them was a Super Bowl team without him and beat his team in the Super Bowl.  

While I like Diggs as a player, if he's going to continue cause diva-like headaches at inopportune times because he's unhappy, such as he has had the habit of doing in recent years, I have absolutely no problem moving him, because they can find an adequate replacement, even if he doesn't provide the same production, as a bad attitude can do more detriment than the positive production said player may provide. 

He used to complain about not getting 1000 yds, now he gets 1000 yds and complains about not being thrown the ball when he's open.  He says he wants to be a leader.  Leaders don't throw silent tantrums like that.  

So, in the end, to the point of the topic, to me, while I'd like to keep him, I have no problem moving him if the right price comes along and the cap room is needed.  He's not untouchable (like the basketball boss said KAT is).    

Edited by swede700

21 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

No they get after their team and hold people accountable to play better. Something that Diggs has done repeatedly... Very similar to people like Tom Brady and even Adam Thielen, but I can't quite tell the difference between those two and Diggs....

Seriously

1 hour ago, Dolmonite26 said:

No they get after their team and hold people accountable to play better. Something that Diggs has done repeatedly... Very similar to people like Tom Brady and even Adam Thielen, but I can't quite tell the difference between those two and Diggs....

I'm not sure what you're getting at there, but if it is what I think it is, that has absolutely nothing to do with it.  Regardless, disappearing for 2 days isn't what I'd call holding people accountable to play better.  That's an escalation beyond that and is evidence of immaturity, not leadership.  

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Diggs being the best offensive threat.  He's certainly one of the better players on the team, but whether through the fault of his own or not (most likely not), he has to rely on a QB getting him the ball, which by the nature of itself, makes his position less valuable.  We can certainly argue on which order to put them in, either RB or WR, but both are certainly far less valuable than either QB or offensive line.  Therefore, they are eminently replaceable. And BTW, both Cooks and Woods were on their 3rd and 2nd teams respectively, so they certainly were deemed to be replaceable, one of them was a Super Bowl team without him and beat his team in the Super Bowl.  

While I like Diggs as a player, if he's going to continue cause diva-like headaches at inopportune times because he's unhappy, such as he has had the habit of doing in recent years, I have absolutely no problem moving him, because they can find an adequate replacement, even if he doesn't provide the same production, as a bad attitude can do more detriment than the positive production said player may provide. 

He used to complain about not getting 1000 yds, now he gets 1000 yds and complains about not being thrown the ball when he's open.  He says he wants to be a leader.  Leaders don't throw silent tantrums like that.  

So, in the end, to the point of the topic, to me, while I'd like to keep him, I have no problem moving him if the right price comes along and the cap room is needed.  He's not untouchable (like the basketball boss said KAT is).    

Diva like headaches - like getting into a shouting match with  another teams coach or publicly calling out your QB? The bad attitude argument is a useless straw man argument. In fact, the team went on an absolute tear after Diggs "disappeared".

Woods is on his second team, and no - the Bills have not replaced him. Cooks was a cap move, as they had drafted Thomas and were going to have to pay him. Using the Patriots as an example for replaceable parts isn't a really strong argument. In any case, teams with big time WRs/pass catchers make it deep into the playoffs more often than teams with highly paid RBs. 

I didn't mean to make this about relative positional value - Obviously the QB is the most important position on the team. The Vikings just happen to have a WR as their best offensive player. 

The Vikings have a top tier talent in his prime under contract for 4 more years at a really reasonable price point. Teams that trade those types of players deserve to lose.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2020 at 1:50 PM, JDBrocks said:

The Vikings have a top tier talent in his prime under contract for 4 more years at a really reasonable price point. Teams that trade those types of players deserve to lose.

100% agree. I really hope that the "lets move Diggs" sentiment isn't one held within the organization. 

Diggs is insanely good; Thielen is insanely good. I want to see the Vikings commit the money that Dalvin deserves (and will get from another team) to the offensive line instead, and I want them to let Cousins air it out to that great receiver tandem.

Edited by sinceAtikevike
  • Like 5