Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

26 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

100% agree. I really hope that the "lets move Diggs" sentiment isn't one held within the organization. 

Diggs is insanely good; Thielen is insanely good. I want to see the Vikings commit the money that Dalvin deserves (and will get from another team) to the offensive line instead, and I want them to let Cousins air it out to that great receiver tandem.

I'm not sure that Cook will get the money he deserves from the Vikings or another team.  Running Backs, as a position group, just aren't valued the way they should be in the NFL.  Besides, letting Cook go before he gets his next contract doesn't actually create cap room.  So, it's going to take some considerable restructuring, letting valuable players go, trading other valuable players in order to have the funds needed to upgrade the line.  And, I'm not talking about a complete overhaul...just replacing Elflein and Reiff in the starting lineup.  Now, Samia might be ready to step up and take Elf's place.  Reiff is a little harder as I don't think his upgrade is currently on the team, unless you're planning on moving O'Neill to the left side...but all that does is make us in the market for a right tackle, and again, I don't think there is anyone currently on the team that can replace O'Neill and duplicate his production.  As much as I would hate for this to happen, to upgrade the line, the team might have to sacrifice Thielen, and Rudolph. The defense will require the same level of sacrifice to improve the defensive line and secondary.  I don't like being a "negative nate," but I don't think 2021 will be a happy season for Viking fans.  However, these are moves that probably need to be made to make the team a viable contender in the future. 

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

I'm not sure that Cook will get the money he deserves from the Vikings or another team.  Running Backs, as a position group, just aren't valued the way they should be in the NFL.  Besides, letting Cook go before he gets his next contract doesn't actually create cap room.  So, it's going to take some considerable restructuring, letting valuable players go, trading other valuable players in order to have the funds needed to upgrade the line.  And, I'm not talking about a complete overhaul...just replacing Elflein and Reiff in the starting lineup.  Now, Samia might be ready to step up and take Elf's place.  Reiff is a little harder as I don't think his upgrade is currently on the team, unless you're planning on moving O'Neill to the left side...but all that does is make us in the market for a right tackle, and again, I don't think there is anyone currently on the team that can replace O'Neill and duplicate his production.  As much as I would hate for this to happen, to upgrade the line, the team might have to sacrifice Thielen, and Rudolph. The defense will require the same level of sacrifice to improve the defensive line and secondary.  I don't like being a "negative nate," but I don't think 2021 will be a happy season for Viking fans.  However, these are moves that probably need to be made to make the team a viable contender in the future. 

What does Cook deserve? He’s had injury plagued seasons every year and he really did not perform well in the second half of the year. Sure we can blame the OL but I don’t know what the point would be to rush to a new deal now. Reliability has to be a concern and when you’ve got another promising RB on the roster in Mattison, the Vikes would be wise to just let him play out that rookie deal and go from there.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

What does Cook deserve? He’s had injury plagued seasons every year and he really did not perform well in the second half of the year. Sure we can blame the OL but I don’t know what the point would be to rush to a new deal now. Reliability has to be a concern and when you’ve got another promising RB on the roster in Mattison, the Vikes would be wise to just let him play out that rookie deal and go from there.

I haven't the foggiest clue what Cook "deserves"...I was addressing the statement of another poster.  As I pointed out, Cook is not going to get a large contract from the Vikings or any other team, because currently, running backs as a position group aren't valued.  Jerry Jones will likely regret the contract he gave Elliot when he sees how he compares in value to other running backs.

On 2/4/2020 at 12:01 PM, swede700 said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on Diggs being the best offensive threat.  He's certainly one of the better players on the team, but whether through the fault of his own or not (most likely not), he has to rely on a QB getting him the ball, which by the nature of itself, makes his position less valuable.  We can certainly argue on which order to put them in, either RB or WR, but both are certainly far less valuable than either QB or offensive line.  Therefore, they are eminently replaceable. And BTW, both Cooks and Woods were on their 3rd and 2nd teams respectively, so they certainly were deemed to be replaceable, one of them was a Super Bowl team without him and beat his team in the Super Bowl.  

While I like Diggs as a player, if he's going to continue cause diva-like headaches at inopportune times because he's unhappy, such as he has had the habit of doing in recent years, I have absolutely no problem moving him, because they can find an adequate replacement, even if he doesn't provide the same production, as a bad attitude can do more detriment than the positive production said player may provide. 

He used to complain about not getting 1000 yds, now he gets 1000 yds and complains about not being thrown the ball when he's open.  He says he wants to be a leader.  Leaders don't throw silent tantrums like that.  

So, in the end, to the point of the topic, to me, while I'd like to keep him, I have no problem moving him if the right price comes along and the cap room is needed.  He's not untouchable (like the basketball boss said KAT is).    

I don’t ever understand how people come up with this rhetoric. People have to stop making asinine assumptions when discussing players because it is out right ridiculous. Stefon Diggs has not once publicly complained of not getting to 1000 yards, literally not once. This “claim” that he is stat hungry gets shot down every single time. The funny thing is, week 4, when the trade rumors started, he had his first 100 yard game of the season! If we go by what you’re stating, wouldn’t diggs have been quiet and content?

And why is it when Adam thielen gets into arguments with opposing head coaches and also publicly argued with Kirk cousins, the same diggs detractors have nothing to say?

Edited by Illadelegend215
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Illadelegend215 said:

I don’t ever understand how people come up with this rhetoric. People have to stop making asinine assumptions when discussing players because it is out right ridiculous. Stefon Diggs has not once publicly complained of not getting to 1000 yards, literally not once. This “claim” that he is stat hungry gets shot down every single time. The funny thing is, week 4, when the trade rumors started, he had his first 100 yard game of the season! If we go by what you’re stating, wouldn’t diggs have been quiet and content?

And why is it when Adam thielen gets into arguments with opposing head coaches and also publicly argued with Kirk cousins, the same diggs detractors have nothing to say?

These are basically my thoughts as well. I get when outsiders do this crap, like general NFL fans watching the Saints playoff game. They’re simply ignorant and don’t care to do research before coming to conclusions on such things (which is fair, I guess). But fans of the team?

57 minutes ago, Hyperborean said:

Couldn’t disagree more... Mahomes is a great passer how can run when he wants to. Just like Rodgers.. look at the 4 QB’s in the championship games. All you gonna see is players like Jackson and Murray being scraped up off the turn with injuries.. 

The perfect QB mold is a Rodgers clone.. I’ll take an accurate QB that can move when he has to.. not a running QB.. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Oh yeah Jackson was really held back this year with the injuries

Will see if it goes differently, Cam Newton was never the same after his MVP season. Injuries caught up to Newton. Will see if Jackson can avoid injuries but Newton also has maybe 40-50 pounds on him. 

45 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

Couldn’t disagree more... Mahomes is a great passer how can run when he wants to. Just like Rodgers.. look at the 4 QB’s in the championship games. All you gonna see is players like Jackson and Murray being scraped up off the turn with injuries.. 

The perfect QB mold is a Rodgers clone.. I’ll take an accurate QB that can move when he has to.. not a running QB.. 

I think the point of the article is that the NFL is quickly moving to the Mahomes model, which is exactly as you described "can run when he wants to".  More accurately "when he has to".  The days of the pocket passer are coming to an end, in other words.  It certainly appears that way by looking at the trends.  

Injuries happen to statues like Flacco and Foles like they do to any guy that runs out of the pocket to get the first down too.  Injuries can happen to any player on any play.  That's the nature of the game.

The part about the smaller, quicker receivers doing everything was interesting too.  Percy Harvin was ahead of his time, guys.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Will see if it goes differently, Cam Newton was never the same after his MVP season. Injuries caught up to Newton. Will see if Jackson can avoid injuries but Newton also has maybe 40-50 pounds on him. 

This isn't necessarily directed at you or accusing anyone here of anything, but the non stop injury narrative surrounding Jackson is so tiresome (and unfounded). It smacks of some people just waiting for him to fail, rather than just embrace the fact that he might actually just be good.

It's fair to wonder if he can keep up what he did this year. It could end up as an outlier year for him like MVP Cam or RG3 or Tannehill this year. It also looks a lot like it's part of his developmental  trend since his freshman year at Louisville. He's grown as a passer every year so *shrug*

The injury deal is just fishing for reasons to hate tho, considering he doesn't have an extensive injury history and QBs are statically more likely to get injured in the pocket than outside of it...you know like Cam did

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

This is SUCH a bad take. Which QB led the league in passing TDs this year?

@Dolmonite26 summarized my thoughts, but predicting injuries is a terrible argument against a player.

• Like 2