Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

33 minutes ago, MightyMouse07 said:

Quick question,

Do yall think Rudolph becomes a post-June cut in order to open up cap to afford all of these moves yall want?

Wouldn't he save like 9 mil June 22nd if cut no guaranteed or something like that. He's a red zone threat but the idea of drafting somebody like Thaddeus Moss in the 3rd or 4th and being able to keep Reiff and Griffin sounds to good.

• Like 1

Going into this draft, I have to wonder, does the FO think that the Vikings have a chance to make the playoffs in 2020?  If they do think it's possible, than the draft has to be stellar...I mean, like the best draft in history.  If they don't think they have much opportunity to be in the playoffs, then the strategy is to get some youth on the team and allow them to develop for 2021 and beyond.  I am not opposed to keeping Reiff and Harris for another year if the team has an opportunity to succeed.  However, if they think the team will be mediocre or worse, make the future a priority.  Trade and dump salary.  Load up picks and widen the CAP space for 2021 and 2022.

8 hours ago, HeydudemanG said:

Wouldn't he save like 9 mil June 22nd if cut no guaranteed or something like that. He's a red zone threat but the idea of drafting somebody like Thaddeus Moss in the 3rd or 4th and being able to keep Reiff and Griffin sounds to good.

I think Moss is a round 5 or 6 guy.

2 minutes ago, HeydudemanG said:

Yea he is I wouldn't be mad with him in the 4th would you? Seems like we could miss out in the 5th.

No problem at all with that. He's a big upgrade over Conklin and easily a #2 TE here.

At that point you definitely move Rudolph and let Smith be your #1 (#2 target behind Thielen).

4 minutes ago, HeydudemanG said:

Yea he is I wouldn't be mad with him in the 4th would you? Seems like we could miss out in the 5th.

He's not the type of prospect I'd worry about "missing out" on, so no, I wouldn't reach for a tight end in round four if I truly had him ranked as a 5th or 6th round guy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RpMc said:

He's not the type of prospect I'd worry about "missing out" on, so no, I wouldn't reach for a tight end in round four if I truly had him ranked as a 5th or 6th round guy.

Geez fun police over here.

I guess you cant even fantasies about drafting randy moss's kid on a Vikings bored.

Obviously we're not going to and I don't want us to reach for a tight end. It was just an example to show Ruddie is a little expendable for the price.

Don't take everything so literal and serious we're all just trying to have fun here.

6 minutes ago, HeydudemanG said:

Geez fun police over here.

I guess you cant even fantasies about drafting randy moss's kid on a Vikings bored.

Obviously we're not going to and I don't want us to reach for a tight end. It was just an example to show Ruddie is a little expendable for the price.

Don't take everything so literal and serious we're all just trying to have fun here.

Rudy* is far from expendable given we just moved Diggs this offseason, and if you think he can be replaced by a mid-round tight end...?

Woof.

Antoine Winfield or Jake Reed's kid make a heck of a lot more sense if we want to go with the "one of us" mentality.

Edited by RpMc

2 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Going into this draft, I have to wonder, does the FO think that the Vikings have a chance to make the playoffs in 2020?  If they do think it's possible, than the draft has to be stellar...I mean, like the best draft in history.  If they don't think they have much opportunity to be in the playoffs, then the strategy is to get some youth on the team and allow them to develop for 2021 and beyond.  I am not opposed to keeping Reiff and Harris for another year if the team has an opportunity to succeed.  However, if they think the team will be mediocre or worse, make the future a priority.  Trade and dump salary.  Load up picks and widen the CAP space for 2021 and 2022.

I have no question that, in a shortened offseason, since we do have most of the starters and depth players returning, that this team can compete for a playoff spot.  There's absolutely no doubt in my mind.  The only way they don't is if they suffer a significant amount of injuries.  I think they are about as well-prepared to overcome this than many other teams.

On a different note, I don't really like it when people seem to think that offensive line positions are just interchangeable and someone can just be swapped from side to side and not skip a beat.  If they are trained to do that, sure, maybe it's a little bit easier.  But, if they've been spending all their time on one side, to just ask them to swap over and not expect any ill effects from doing that is a little short-sighted.  We've seen more than Vikings' offensive linemen's career get ruined from trying that.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I have no question that, in a shortened offseason, since we do have most of the starters and depth players returning, that this team can compete for a playoff spot.  There's absolutely no doubt in my mind.  The only way they don't is if they suffer a significant amount of injuries.  I think they are about as well-prepared to overcome this than many other teams.

On a different note, I don't really like it when people seem to think that offensive line positions are just interchangeable and someone can just be swapped from side to side and not skip a beat.  If they are trained to do that, sure, maybe it's a little bit easier.  But, if they've been spending all their time on one side, to just ask them to swap over and not expect any ill effects from doing that is a little short-sighted.  We've seen more than Vikings' offensive linemen's career get ruined from trying that.  

Wish I was as optimistic as you are about the Vikings chances of returning to the playoffs.  I could be optimistic, I suppose, if the Vikings, under Zimmer had a record of being a consistent playoff team.  Instead, they seem to be a Yo-Yo team...up one year, down the next.

I agree with you about the interchangeability of offensive linemen.  It's generally a foolish notion to have a player change positions, or even change sides along the offensive line. 

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Rudy* is far from expendable given we just moved Diggs this offseason, and if you think he can be replaced by a mid-round tight end...?

Woof.

Antoine Winfield or Jake Reed's kid make a heck of a lot more sense if we want to go with the "one of us" mentality.

You can't add an astrix to an Abbreviated name...

I guess I just won't express how much I would like Thaddeus in the later rounds. 

I was just saying we'll be there in the 4th I know he's a 5th round talent and I'm just saying no Vikings fan will be mad about getting Moss's 20 spots higher then normal because he could fill some seats.

We're clearly getting rid of over priced veterans and stocking up on draft picks to get younger guys. You gotta move towards the future. I don't see why you're upset this morning about somebody saying Thaddeus Moss and other good prospects are available in the later rounds, no reason to over pay for a blocking tight end.

Also after June 22nd we'll be a lot more flexible with the free agents we sign so we don't have to replace him with a rookie.

Edited by HeydudemanG

5 minutes ago, HeydudemanG said:

You can't add an astrix to an Abbreviated name...

I guess I just won't express how much I would like Thaddeus in the later rounds. 

I was just saying we'll be there in the 4th I know he's a 5th round talent and I'm just saying no Vikings fan will be mad about getting Moss's 20 spots higher then normal because he could fill some seats.

We're clearly getting rid of over priced veterans and stocking up on draft picks to get younger guys. You gotta move towards the future. I don't see why you're upset this morning about somebody saying Thaddeus Moss and other good prospects are available in the later rounds, no reason to over pay for a blocking tight end.

I'm confused by your comment, considering with the release of David Morgan, this team has no blocking TE.

29 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I'm confused by your comment, considering with the release of David Morgan, this team has no blocking TE.

How hard and expensive is it to find a blocking tight end? There's a ton available why pay over 9 million a year for one.

Edited by HeydudemanG