Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

7 minutes ago, HeydudemanG said:

How hard and expensive is it to find a blocking tight end? 

I think it's awfully hard to find them nowadays, because it seems all tight ends are just wide receivers who were too slow.  The art of the blocking TE has been disappearing, as blocking as seemed to just become secondary to the receiving part.  Rudy, for his own part, has only taken an interest in improving his blocking for the last 2 years.

Edited by swede700

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

I think it's awfully hard to find them nowadays, because it seems all tight ends are just wide receivers who were too slow.  The art of the blocking TE has been disappearing, as blocking as seemed to just become secondary to the receiving part.  Rudy, for his own part, has only taken an interest in improving his blocking for the last 2 years.

Makes you really appreciate how good Jim Kleinsasser really was!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Our best offensive lineman is a converted tight end so they're out there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Virginia Viking said:

Going into this draft, I have to wonder, does the FO think that the Vikings have a chance to make the playoffs in 2020?

Given their contract status, they likely don't see a choice to think about anything other than getting to the playoffs this year. But I feel what you are saying. This really looks like a case of planning for the future possibly being a better choice than concentrating too heavily on this year. Rick has generally been good about keeping an eye on the future while looking at the current year but he may be feeling some additional pressure this year to get things right for this year.

Wilf could alleviate some of that pressure by extending a few key people.

• Like 1

With all the talented WRs in the draft, and the big news generated by Diggs' departure, I didn't even know we had signed the Titans' Tajae Sharpe until I saw his name on the team website. He was somewhat productive for Tennessee but faded into the background with the rise of A.J. Brown, Adam Humphries, and Kalif Raymond. Do you see him contributing at all?

3 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

With all the talented WRs in the draft, and the big news generated by Diggs' departure, I didn't even know we had signed the Titans' Tajae Sharpe until I saw his name on the team website. He was somewhat productive for Tennessee but faded into the background with the rise of A.J. Brown, Adam Humphries, and Kalif Raymond. Do you see him contributing at all?

Assuming we draft a receiver in round one or two, my guess is sharpe competes for WR3 duties with bisi. If we take a rookie WR a little later in the draft and they aren’t ready to start out of the gate sharpe will likely open the year as our WR2 imo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Absolutely...the kid is still talented, but injuries stunted his development and then when he came back, he got buried on the depth chart because they drafted Corey Davis and then AJ Brown.  He certainly showed signs of talent in his first game (the game against us that Shaun Hill started the week after the Bradford acquisition).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

He’s WR2 until someone knocks him down the list. 

Yep, Sharpe is going to be WR2 to start the season. If a rookie outperforms him, on the low touches he receives, sure he could gradually take over the "WR2" tag, but will likely still split touches between them, with Thielen getting the lion share and possibly Rudolph getting a bunch as well.

Maybe this will give some people some positivity...

8. MINNESOTA VIKINGS (+3300)

I’m not very high on the Vikings going into the draft, as they are going to need a good draft to replace three starters at cornerback, one at wide receiver and shore up an offensive line that’s been their achilles heel since Mike Zimmer took over in 2014.  

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pffs-too-early-2020-nfl-power-rankings-chiefs-top-the-list-tom-bradys-new-and-former-teams-crack-the-top-10

But, when they have the Packers listed as #5, who were probably about 5-6 plays away from being 7-9, I'm not really sure how much credibility they do have.  xD