Moving On To 2020/2021.

gopherwrestler

7 hours ago, BWG VIKE said:

It sounds like Everson has not closed the door on Minnesota yet and with his cold market maybe he's having a change of heart, if we could get him back and bring in Kirkpatrick I would feel alot better heading into the draft. 

Harris and/or Reiff likely need to be off the roster to make this happen. Which I’m fine with. Just the reality of the situation, I’d rather have Griffen than Reiff.

9 hours ago, BWG VIKE said:

It sounds like Everson has not closed the door on Minnesota yet and with his cold market maybe he's having a change of heart, 

Griffen: “I’m a hundred percent positive that 2019 was just a glimpse of what I still have left in the tank.  I was after practice going to my counseling meetings, going to see my therapist, getting my massages. It was still a work in progress in the 2019 season. I just wasn’t focused solely on football. And that will never still be the case, because I have to focus on outside of football: What makes Everson healthy?”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/04/10/everson-griffen-2019-was-just-a-glimpse-of-what-i-can-still-do/

5 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Harris and/or Reiff likely need to be off the roster to make this happen. Which I’m fine with. Just the reality of the situation, I’d rather have Griffen than Reiff.

Hell yea i rather have Everson.

Reiff is, at best, playing his last year in purple, Everson I'm more confident in production beyond this year

I dunno.

If we can sign him without creating another hole, I'm for it. One less position we need to draft for.

If it means getting rid of our 2019 starting LT or safety then having to go into the draft and having to replace them and just making a lateral move? Thanks for everything, Everson.

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I dunno.

If we can sign him without creating another hole, I'm for it. One less position we need to draft for.

If it means getting rid of our 2019 starting LT or safety then having to go into the draft and having to replace them and just making a lateral move? Thanks for everything, Everson.

Seems like most want to draft a LT early anyway,  even with Reiff on the roster. If Griffen replaces Reiff, at least the DE spot isn’t as much of a concern and they could be more comfortable drafting and developing a mid round DE. 

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

We’re fast entering vet minimum territory. I don’t think Griffen would cost all that much at this point. 

Still would like to find a way to get Kirkpatrick here too. Isn’t Griffen mostly held up due to Clowney. At least where he stands with Seattle. Maybe he’s got a preliminary deal on the table already above a typical vet minimum contract.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Still would like to find a way to get Kirkpatrick here too. Isn’t Griffen mostly held up due to Clowney. At least where he stands with Seattle. Maybe he’s got a preliminary deal on the table already above a typical vet minimum contract.

I think we’re past that point. And if Seattle is Griffen’s only other suitor, then his market is bone dry. 

17 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

They wouldn’t need to be off the roster; just would take some creative accounting. Incentive-laden deal with NLTBE contract escalators. 

base contract value of around $5M for one year with sack escalators at 10, 12, and 15 sacks. All would be categorized as NLTBE (Ev has 8 sacks last year), Griffen gets to bet on himself, and cash in if he does well. If he meets the incentives, they hit the cap next year and the likely increase In the cap/players leaving (such as Harris) Can absorb the extra hit. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Seems like most want to draft a LT early anyway,  even with Reiff on the roster. If Griffen replaces Reiff, at least the DE spot isn’t as much of a concern and they could be more comfortable drafting and developing a mid round DE. 

This strategy is so flawed though

Say we get rid of Reiff tomorrow and bring in Griffen. OK so we have the most important position on offense outside of the QB to fill. Now you're relying on THE DRAFT to fall exactly in your favor to replace your strikingly average LT.

Of course we want a LT in the draft but so do A LOT of other teams and I don't want to be in the position to have to reach for a LT at 22 or 25 because we wanted to bring back our above-average, 32 year old DE and had to get rid of our serviceable LT to do so.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

This strategy is so flawed though

Say we get rid of Reiff tomorrow and bring in Griffen. OK so we have the most important position on offense outside of the QB to fill. Now you're relying on THE DRAFT to fall exactly in your favor to replace your strikingly average LT.

Of course we want a LT in the draft but so do A LOT of other teams and I don't want to be in the position to have to reach for a LT at 22 or 25 because we wanted to bring back our above-average, 32 year old DE and had to get rid of our serviceable LT to do so.

If LT is so important and that is such a concern, why not move O’Neill and draft a RT. At the end of the day, I don’t think LT and RT matters nearly as much as it used too. Especially in a Kubiak offense that relies a lot on a moving pocket and getting Kirk on the move. 

If they had to find cap space, I think they’d move Harris before Reiff, OT is still more of a priority than Safety, though Safety becomes a need that would likely require a stop gap FA pickup.. 

Edited by vikingsrule

15 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

If LT is so important and that is such a concern, why not move O’Neill and draft a RT. At the end of the day, I don’t think LT and RT matters nearly as much as it used too. Especially in a Kubiak offense that relies a lot on a moving pocket and getting Kirk on the move. 

If they had to find cap space, I think they’d move Harris before Reiff, OT is still more of a priority than Safety, though Safety becomes a need that would likely require a stop gap FA pickup.. 

Because it's never as easy as taking a RT and simply plugging him into the LT spot and expecting the same results ESPECIALLY when you're heading into a season that won't have any OTA's and maybe a short training camp for O'Neill to get the hang of the other side of the line (trust me, it's NOT easy).

And when Kirk "I can't feel any pressure and will drop the ball or fall to the ground helplessly 3-4 times a game" Cousins is your QB taking up a HUGE chunk of your cap space, you need that pass pro to be as good as it can get.

LT will ALWAYS be more important than a DE especially when that DE is going to be a compliment to Danielle Hunter and in no scenario am I cutting a serviceable LT in favor of a 32 year old DE who is above-average at best and having to rely on the draft to get a replacement level LT and/or relying on a good RT to pick up LT in a short off-season

Edited by Vikes_Bolts1228
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Why rely on O'Neil properly making the transition to LT? Draft a LT\LG and let camp unfold whichever way it does, you can determine if you want to release Reiff than, or switch around the line, you just gotta give yourself options now

Lots of moving parts: does Wash lower the asking price for Trent? Does someone offer a day 2 pick for Harris after missing out on the top 2 safetys

• Like 2