Stefanski’s staff

pnies20

18 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

wow. Just terrible. 

Joe Wood is a star defensive coordinator.

He's not the known and elite long-standing coordinator like Wade Phillips for sure.

But...

On 1/13/2020 at 4:42 AM, Mind Character said:

Joe Wood had a top 10/top 5 Defense his first year as Coordinator that was number 3 against the rush. Von Miller and Chris Harris raved about him. Starting Stefanski's staff off with Scangarello and Wood would be special.

If he doesn't get a senior advisor type on the Offensive side he may retain Wilks because of the previous head coaching experience..

He also has been a big reason why the 49ers Defense has performed well this year... he serves as the passing game coordinator there and has work habits that Kyle Shanahan respects...

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Joe Wood is a star defensive coordinator.

He's not the known and elite long-standing coordinator like Wade Phillips for sure.

But...

If he doesn't get a senior advisor type on the Offensive side he may retain Wilks because of the previous head coaching experience..

He also has been a big reason why the 49ers Defense has performed well this year... he serves as the passing game coordinator there and has work habits that Kyle Shanahan respects...

also

Woods was brought to Minnesota in 2006 along with Defensive Coordinator Mike Tomlin, who worked with him as a secondary coach in Tampa Bay.

Also Stefanski started with the Vikings the same year Joe Woods and Mike Tomlin did as well (2006)

• Like 1

Let's say this.  I don't really care who he has on his staff.  Look at some of the guys Vrabel, or Ried have.  You think they are household names?

Here is what I want to see.  Attack.  Attack, and keep attacking.  Be aggressive, instead of taking penalties to back it up when you'te in that in between punt/fg range.  Go for it.  All the time.  Let's equate it to boxing.  I don't want to see 2 modern heavy weights.  They don't really throw that many punches and it is a more tactical approach.  Give me more of a Tyson.  Throw caution to the wind.

This doesn't mean throw or blitz on every down.  It means to 1000000000% exploit the other team's weaknesses on offense and defense.  Hell if a team can't stop the run, run Chubb, Hunt, Hilliard at them all night long.  Let them prove they can stop it.  Then play action bam quick shot TD.

On defense fly to the ball.  Make sure you see ball hit ball.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, brooks1957 said:

It is down to two for DC and I bet the choice is continuity with Steve Wilks.

And the good news of these choices is it takes a move to the 3-4 out of play. Good for the players.

Pretty sure Woods would run a Wade Phillips style 3-4. Even though it’s not a true 3-4 it’s completely different than Wilks’ scheme... which isn’t a bad thing.

Yeah I'm assuming we're keeping Wilks which I'm not overly happy about.  He didn't seem to know how to best use his players.  Tried to play 3 safeties when we were so much more deep at CB.  I want a guy who will form his scheme around the players he has not trying to go with a scheme despite not having the players for it.. 

I was praying for Phillips.  But at this point I will take anyone but Wilks 

• Like 1

As much as we've all talked about Andrew Berry, I have serious doubts that he'll be our next GM selected over George Paton.

I don't doubt that Andrew is the candidate that the Haslam's and DePo prefer, but I just don't see how Stefanski brings Paton, who turns down tons of interview requests unless he thinks he has a good shot at getting the job, into Berea then decides that he's not his guy.

Paton's known Stefanski for 13 out of the 14 years Kevin was at the Vikings.

Even if Kevin has great respect for Andrew and thinks he'll be great 13 years of familiarity, friendship, and working together is going to be impossible to beat.

To align with DePo and the organization, it's probably best to hire Andrew as the GM, but the Haslam's have to relent in some regards to their new Head Coach.

I think they'll do so by begrudgingly accepting Kevin's endorsement and preference for Paton over Berry. Paton will come in saying all the right things about alignment and DePo, but it won't ever be as seamless of an operation as with Berry and DePo.

It's not going to be Andrew Berry, and I'm not quite sure if that's a positive because Paton is still an unknown despite some glowing reviews.  You'd have to even think that Stefanski's going to be talking to Paton before and up until the interview.

For organizational alignment and because the rational mostly always makes sense at the point of selection, I hope somehow Berry can make it through the process to becoming the Browns GM.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

wow. Just terrible. 

Welp if you heard his presser I guess he was really serious about making sure minority coaches get put in position to grow and succeed more which is good to see.

Im not sure how you bring back Wilks on the premise alone that the D took a significant step back just by eye test this season. Wilks runs a lot of zone and I dont think that scheme fits our players with Ward/Greedy outside whose best attribute is their man coverage. 

Woods runs a very similar defense as Wade Phillips and relies on man coverage and talent to win matchups.

36 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Yeah I think we hire Paton

Viking know how to draft everything except QB so I’m down

Yeah, their team is sort of insane from a talent prospective and the vast majority of their impact players are all home grown. Especially on defense.

Their front 7 is particularly nasty and I dont know if thats on the GM or the coaching staff developing these guys

Edited by AkronsWitness