Stefanski’s staff

pnies20

20 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

YES

Take a min and watch this video of how his offense looks when he finally got a QB mobile enough to run it. 

Notice how many PA bootlegs there are, the misdirection and the downfield plays. Also notice how each play is sort of designed to get 1 guy open to eliminate the multiple reads.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@Mind Character your point is exactly why I wanted a guy like Shurmur as OC.

He’s not getting another HC gig and could have been locked in long term and allowed us to develop a system for Baker to grow in.

Yeah, that would've been the best thing and would've helped maintain continuity. I don't doubt Shumur's capability to have done a good job with our offense, but I never took into account the fact that Shurmur's offensive philosophy is just too different from Stefanski's.

The idea of hiring from a pool of OCs that aren't likely to get another Head Coaching job right away if they help the Browns be successful would've been optimal.

I definitely agree that Stefanski can likely do well as an OC though.

6 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We do this every single coaching search. We worry about being so good one of our assistants are going to leave to be a HC. And it has never happened. Not once. 

Fact facts right there...

It's a natural inclination to prepare to live optimally as if the world isn't going to collapse... each time the Browns world does...

It's all about maximization as thinkers... when in reality this sh*t falls apart faster than we can even enjoy a few games...

44 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

22 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76112a31849cbdaafbdcb1

Scangs is the perfect OC candidate for us to maintain continuity as he would be a great person for Stefanski to collaborate but not necessarily turn the play-calls over to ...

Showed signs of brilliance and ability to develop young players...

...Then experienced hard times and struggles as well...

... he was a tremendously well regarding QB coach in his short time in that role and got rave reviews from vet QB coaches due to his work at popular QB clinics....

... I've been calling for Scangs for a wide-variety of reasons... but it would be amazing to get a guy like that in our system AND have him NOT call plays, but instead earn that right over time and help us build continuity for many years to come with a OC coach that Stefanski could build a powerful attack with (I wouldn't want Scangs to call the plays right off the bat but if things got to be too much for Stefanski it would be a good fall back plan)>...

On 1/13/2020 at 4:42 AM, Mind Character said:

Even though he was under fire for various things this season, I cannot believe Scangarello is available.

It would be an unbelievable win to get him on the Browns staff and we need to at all costs.

There couldn't possibly be a better fit as he's a developing talented QBC/OC that wouldn't likely need to call plays right away but instead collaborate for an extending period of time with Stefanski.

Not only is he an elite QB coach according to many respected coaches in the league, but he's "Philosophically our approach is the zone run system, play action-system created and modernized by Mike Shanahan and grown under Kyle Shanahan phenomenally. I got my first start with that system under Tom Cable...."   Kyle Shanahan originally blocked him from going to the Broncos as OC because "Rich's a tremendous QB coach and what he does for our offense can't be replaced."

Shanahan then relented when he was assured by John Elway and Vic Fangio that Scangarello would get primary and full control of the play-calling, as well as have stability.

Scangarello is familiar with the 49ers/Shanahan system (in Atlanta and San Fran) and he himself employs a heavy play-action, zone run scheme. He also does a good job integrating QB coaching with overall understanding of the offense as all good QB coaches do.

He could come here and be QB Coach with OC upside allowing he and Stefanski to collaboratively lead the offense

The Broncos maximized Brandon Allen as much as possible before enjoying breakout with Drew Lock. Flacco was washed. The overall offense numbers aren't great but there's was great development and coordination work done this year.

His offense is a hybrid between the Shanahan offense with more RPO game utilized from his time as a college OC. Believes that the "easiest mismatch to make in the NFL is the RB and the LB and that has to be exploited all the time." Also, believes in the sameness of play presentation before variation like Kyle and Stefanski/Kubiak.

https://thednvr.com/broncos-film-room-an-inside-look-at-the-offense-rich-scangarello-is-bringing-to-denver/

https://www.milehighreport.com/2019/11/8/20954589/film-rich-scangarellos-breakout-game.

Mike McDaniel is an ivy league guy but has no OC experience and isn't a quality QB coach. I've spoken many times previously regarding how we cannot risk his battles with alcoholism derailing the Browns progress. Mike LaFleur is a great option, but Scangarello is just as good if not better of a candidate.

Stefanski may have already decided who his OC/QBC would be as no one really knew Scangarello would be fired., but hiring him should be priority number 1 for Stefanski's staff.

LaFleur or Scangarello would be a win... Scangarello and we really win

I really hope Stefanski didn't finalize the position(s) yet.

--------------------------

---------------------------

Joe Wood had a top 10/top 5 Defense his first year as Coordinator that was number 1 against the pass. Von Miller and Chris Harris raved about him. Starting Stefanski's staff off with Scangarello and Wood would be special.

On 12/23/2019 at 3:04 PM, Mind Character said:

1.) Joe Lombardi

2.) Mike Kafka

3.) Greg Knapp,

4.) Rich Scangarello,

5.) Jim Caldwell (had to step away for health reasons) 

6.) Luke Getsy

7.) Marcus Brady

8.) Press Taylor,

9.) Sean Ryan,

-----

Kafka, Lombardi, Knapp, and Scangarello are the cream of the crop.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

YES

Take a min and watch this video of how his offense looks when he finally got a QB mobile enough to run it. 

Notice how many PA bootlegs there are, the misdirection and the downfield plays. Also notice how each play is sort of designed to get 1 guy open to eliminate the multiple reads.

It’s kinda sad to see Drew Lock is more talented than Baker and Courtland Sutton right now is better than Odell

@Mind Character Yeah its because Scangs and Stefanski both come from that Shannahan offense tree. Scangarello learned his offense under Kyle Shannahan and ran that in DEN last year. Lots of TE action and misdirection with RBs. There is so much presnap 'the play is going this way' then fake it back to a WR running the other on side of the field. Everything is designed to keep defenses guessing on which way the play is going whether it be presnap motion, counters in the run game, RPO or play action boots.

Stefanski really learned under Kubiak last year and the Vikings ran a very similar type of offense and who did Kubiak learn with? Mike Shannahan.

Those 2 obviously seem like a good pairing considering they styles and vision of what offense they run are basically identical.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, brownie man said:

It’s kinda sad to see Drew Lock is more talented than Baker and Courtland Sutton right now is better than Odell

Yeah, after watching Lock last year you can def. see differences in him vs. Baker. The one thing I noticed about Lock when he came in is that he rarely presses bad throws and just makes the play hes supposed to make. The offense he ran was simple and helped him a lot. Its a lot of 'this play is designed to go to X player, it will be there and throw it to him'. Its a offense designed to get a specific player open with all of the play actions. Baker last year required a lot of multiple reads and thats where he failed.

Go back to that video and watch the play at 4:06. Thats the type of play that just schemes a player WIDE open because of misdirection. Its also the type of play that would cause Kitchens head to fall off if he tried to run something like that.

Edited by AkronsWitness

12 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Stefanksi's play-sequencing calls, play-call flow, and off-script play-calling > Rich Scangarello's play-sequencing calls, play-call flow, and off-script play-calling.

If we hire Scangs AND Stefanski retains play-calling responsibilities, we win Big...

... here's to hoping it goes down....

I’m holding out hope for mike McDaniels and scangs as a QB coach. That would be ideal. 

5 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m holding out hope for mike McDaniels and scangs as a QB coach. That would be ideal. 

Yeah, it would be a major fail if we hired TC McCartney who worked with Scangarello as an assistant on the 49ers offensive staff in 2017 and 2018 as he's not the caliber or quality or personality-fit of a QB Coach that Baker needs despite Lock and Allen's progression for the Broncos.

QB Coach is a huge hire for us, and it would be great if we could hire Scangs as QBC/OC instead of as OC and McCartney as QBC.

Edited by Mind Character

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

So watching a highlight reel doesn’t show he is more talented than Baker. 

man a lot of people have forgotten what rookie year Baker looked like. 

you watch baker rookie highlights and lock rookie highlights and you see Baker is better. 

c’mon people

• Like 2