Stefanski’s staff

pnies20

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m holding out hope for mike McDaniels and scangs as a QB coach. That would be ideal. Llll

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Yeah, it would be a major fail if we hired TC McCartney who worked with Scangarello as an assistant on the 49ers offensive staff in 2017 and 2018 as he's not the caliber or quality or personality-fit of a QB Coach that Baker needs despite Lock and Allen's progression for the Broncos.

QB Coach is a huge hire for us, and it would be great if we could hire Scangs as QBC/OC instead of as OC and McCartney as QBC.

Ehh, if he's the OC he's going to work a lot with the QBs by default. I know that's what he did last year in training camp is basically work with Lock a lot because Flacco was the veteran that didn't need the extra coaching.

Being able to get McDaniel/Scangarello as a package to basically take care of OC/QB together would be amazing.

They already worked together in SF so it might be more enticing if they could lock one of them up to the other.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, if they were the 3 amigos he wouldn’t be leaving tbh.  

Those two were doing the whatever the duck they wanted last season. Maybe some new voices would be well served?

Yeah it might put everyone on red alert with all new coaches that they don't feel 'safe' anymore because their guy is there

33 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Great hire. Article also says our top OC choices are the 49er boys. Woods is our top choice for dc but wade is still in the running. 

Yeah I think this is probable since we’ve yet to hire anyone.

I’m guessing they have someone in place, just waiting until the timing works to announce it as to not be a distraction.

• Like 2

Making O'Shea a Passing Game Coordinator does take away titles that can lure other coaches from other staff with the carrot of "more responsibility and role in the offense."

It may very well hint that Stefanski has decided to play calls himself and will soon give the running game coordinator to another position coach (i.e., Scangarello or someone else)

O'Shea is not a offensive philosophy fit with the zone run-pass scheme which provides thought diversity in the scheming.

An OC at WRs Coach; an OC at QB Coach; and an OC as OC is a smart way to build in staff redundancies.

I would've absolutely thought Drew Petzing would have been our WRs Coach as Stefanski has spoken glowingly of his work as QBC and then WRC this year often calling him his "right hand man", but now there's no place for him on this staff especially because he's still under contract with the Vikings and I seriously doubt we give him the massive responsibility of QBC nor is he going to be a first year Tight End coach with the Browns. Sometimes time and place make certain hires impossible. Wouldn't be surprised to see Petzing make his way to Cleveland down the line.

O'Shea has Vikings connections that overlap with Stefanski's time ther.

I mentioned this a week or so ago but players have affectionately called O'Shea "lizard man" in the past.

Long-standing WRs coach with OC experience, O'Shea is a strong positional coach hire.

I wonder if LaFleur, McDaniel or others have already indicated whether they'd interview or not.

If Scangarello and O'Shea become the primary offensive assistant, that would mean that Stefanski would be the prevailing offensive expert in the room.

31 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah I think this is probable since we’ve yet to hire anyone.

I’m guessing they have someone in place, just waiting until the timing works to announce it as to not be a distraction.

Teams very rarely hire an Offensive Coordinator that is the primary play-caller; a Passing Game Coordinator; and a Running Game Coordinator.

It's almost always a 2 of 3 or 1 of 3 proposition wherein if all 3 titles are given to coaches the passing/running game coordinator position is given mostly as a way to recruit either a previous Offensive Coordinator in a manner in which their resume won't reflect a total reset back to just a positional coach role OR as a staff retention tool to keep an ascending star assistant coach from the feeling that they've reached their ceiling with that organization.

I think the Passing Game Coordinator title for O'Shea telegraphs that we're not going to hire a full time play-calling OC as the vast majority of time when an offensive positional coach has such a title designation it's because the Head Coach is the primary play-caller.

Assuming Stefanski brings in offensive philosophy fits at other offensive coaching positions, O'Shea trust in a different offensive core philosophy gives Stensanski a fresh perspective on design and how to attack defenses.

With many deficiences, O'Shea's offense was 32nd (last) in the run and 27th in the pass.

Edited by Mind Character

41 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Making O'Shea a Passing Game Coordinator does take away titles that can lure other coaches from other staff with the carrot of "more responsibility and role in the offense."

It may very well hint that Stefanski has decided to play calls himself and will soon give the running game coordinator to another position coach (i.e., Scangarello or someone else)

O'Shea is not a offensive philosophy fit with the zone run-pass scheme which provides thought diversity in the scheming.

An OC at WRs Coach; an OC at QB Coach; and an OC as OC is a smart way to build in staff redundancies.

I would've absolutely thought Drew Petzing would have been our WRs Coach as Stefanski has spoken glowingly of his work as QBC and then WRC this year often calling him his "right hand man", but now there's no place for him on this staff especially because he's still under contract with the Vikings and I seriously doubt we give him the massive responsibility of QBC nor is he going to be a first year Tight End coach with the Browns. Sometimes time and place make certain hires impossible. Wouldn't be surprised to see Petzing make his way to Cleveland down the line.

O'Shea has Vikings connections that overlap with Stefanski's time ther.

I mentioned this a week or so ago but players have affectionately called O'Shea "lizard man" in the past.

Long-standing WRs coach with OC experience, O'Shea is a strong positional coach hire.

I wonder if LaFleur, McDaniel or others have already indicated whether they'd interview or not.

If Scangarello and O'Shea become the primary offensive assistant, that would mean that Stefanski would be the prevailing offensive expert in the room.

Tell me more about lizard man. 

• Like 3