Stefanski’s staff

pnies20

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Teams very rarely hire an Offensive Coordinator that is the primary play-caller; a Passing Game Coordinator; and a Running Game Coordinator.

It's almost always a 2 of 3 or 1 of 3 proposition wherein if all 3 titles are given to coaches the passing/running game coordinator position is given mostly as a way to recruit either a previous Offensive Coordinator in a manner in which their resume won't reflect a total reset back to just a positional coach role OR as a staff retention tool to keep an ascending star assistant coach from the feeling that they've reached their ceiling with that organization.

I think the Passing Game Coordinator title for O'Shea telegraphs that we're not going to hire a full time play-calling OC as the vast majority of time when an offensive positional coach has such a title designation it's because the Head Coach is the primary play-caller.

Assuming Stefanski brings in offensive philosophy fits at other offensive coaching positions, O'Shea trust in a different offensive core philosophy gives Stensanski a fresh perspective on design and how to attack defenses.

With many deficiences, O'Shea's offense was 32nd (last) in the run and 27th in the pass.

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, the 9ers have one of the best offenses in football and the Vikings were pretty solid too.

To add to that, neither have the skill talent we do either.

I like being aggressive and generally liked that about Freddie, but it’s a fine line.

being selectively aggressive is better

On 1/12/2020 at 6:50 PM, DaWg_LB. said:

Couple of guys I would LOVE to see in some capacity....

TE's Coach Jeff Davidson, Oline/RG coordinator Bill Callahan, WR's coach Chad O'shea, OC/Asst HC Garry Kubiak, Sr. Offensive assistant/Advisor Brad Childress, QB's Pat Shurmer, QB's Ben McAdoo, Oline/TE's Mike Mularky, OC/QB's Joe Lombardi (currently employed), P.G. Coord. Mike Leflure (currently employed), RG Coord. Mike Mcdanile (currently employed), talking two out of Retirement OL Russ Grimm, OL Bruce Matthews.

This Hire today makes me VERY happy.

I literally wanted to either retain Anthony Henry, because of the relationship...or the Upgrade Chad Oshea....and I like the passing game Coordinator that may be added, depending on what happens.

I also feel a confidence in what's going on....he wants Joe Woods as his DC...we could have hired Wade Philips already...I think that Since we are the last show in town right now on the DC side of the ball and GM...we have the Luxury of taking our time with hiring....I think choice Woods is his #1 choice as his DC....if Woods dosent fit or declines, I think he Brings in as his DC or in Some Capacity.... possibly or keep's Wilks as DC......but I think Either way he bring in Wade Philips as Asst. HC Defense, after the dust settles....which will give us the Wade Philips improvements, without having to switch to a 3-4, but base one the combination that is hired, we could be running a 4-3 Minn. style D (patterson), the 4-2-5 big nickle (wilkes) or the 4-3 zone (49'ers)

Also Shout out to @Mind Character  for coining the phrase "The Fighting Tanahill's" to describe the Titans....LMAO!!!! I been laughing about that all week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

Philosophically, are we trying to be like 2015-2016 Denver?

Sure looks like it, everybody they are hiring run the same philisophies on the offensive and defensive side of the ball come from either Gary Kubiak or Wade Phillips.

Offense is going to be run to set up the play action pass (similar to TEN if your watching this game right now) and the defense is going to rely on strong play up front and talent to win in man coverage on the back.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Probably wants a zbs coach 

can anyone name anything good that came from our OL? Robinson was garbage. Bit didnt play as well as the previous years. JCT was the same. RG was an issue all year. Hubbard was complete garbage. There was no noticeable difference in play from 4/5 of the returning starters 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

can anyone name anything good that came from our OL? Robinson was garbage. Bit didnt play as well as the previous years. JCT was the same. RG was an issue all year. Hubbard was complete garbage. There was no noticeable difference in play from 4/5 of the returning starters 

Bitonio and Tretter are the only notable pieces. The Browns NEED 2 OTs and 1 RG this upcoming season. Forbes might be the answer as crazy as that sounds but I expect the new staff to draft 2 replacements high in the draft.

Problem is that the OL is a unit and having even 1 bad piece can make the whole thing crumble.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Bitonio and Tretter are the only notable pieces. The Browns NEED 2 OTs and 1 RG this upcoming season. Forbes might be the answer as crazy as that sounds but I expect the new staff to draft 2 replacements high in the draft.

Problem is that the OL is a unit and having even 1 bad piece can make the whole thing crumble.

agree.I hope we get a good fa olinemen 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

agree.I hope we get a good fa olinemen 

If our coaches line Forbes and the progress he is making, we could probably just get to high picks in the draft on offensive line. If not, it'd be best to pay a free agent so we don't have three rookies on the line. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I mean, you’re not wrong, our line was atrocious, but the guy has a track record going back before 2019.

He didn’t suddenly forget how to coach OL.

I’m guessing this is scheme fit more than anything, but idk.

• Like 1

OK - let me start off by saying I know I will be in the minority on my opinion.

I was in favor of retaining Campen. I think he was given the equivalent of a row boat and a dinghy with a hole in it and told to have at it battling that big ominous battleship.

I think Campen was given, at best (to use a baseball analogy) AA level talent at the two most important positions on the OL (tackles) and told to turn them into Pro Bowlers. I know a coaches' job is to cultivate and grow the talent, but you need to have a certain base level of talent to begin from. The Browns were not even close to that in 2019. I think Dorsey and crew had two huge swing and misses with no backup plan to Greg Robinson, and the talent (or lack thereof) evaluation of Chris Hubbard. Joe Thomas had retired long before Campen hit town, and yet no serviceable replacement was found.

But - at the same time, the NFL always has been and always will be a results driven business. Given that this decision has been made - I can see why. The line , as a unit, was the weakest link on the team. We are being forced to select  one if not two offensive tackles in April. You have a new coaching staff in place. Not hard to connect the dots.