Stefanski’s staff

pnies20

Imo, the hiring of Callahan, O'Shea, and retaining of Stump guarantees:

1.) We're not hiring Mike LaFleur or a big-name external OC candiate as the primary play-caller

2.) As a result, Kevin Stefanski will be the primary play-caller

------------------

That's because when you hire an external primary play-caller Offensive Coordinator it's customary practice in the league to allow them to staff the offensive side of the ball with at least 2 coaches of their choice whom they trust to communicate/coach their messages/systems to the offense.

Most of the time the OC will bring in their OLine Coach as well as RBC/WRC/QBC of choice. One of those positional coaches will then have a run-pass coordinator added title.

We now only have the QBC and TEC positional coaching positions available along with the additional titles of Running Game Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach as contractual/role sweetners to recruit other experienced coaches. We also have an outright Offensive Coordinator position available, but with O'Shea getting the pass-game coordinator title without an OC's say so means that's not likely an open position on our coaching staff.

While it's still possible that a LaFleur external candidate type is hired and then he pairs with a Scangarello/someone else as QBC (Scangarello worked in San Fran with him) and bring in his own TEC, that to me is a serious remote possibility now.

The key was giving O'Shea the Passing Game Coordinator role. That role is decided most often by the Offensive Coordinator. In this case, that means Stefanski as OC and HC.

My guess is that Callahan will receive the Assistant Head Coach designation and Rich Scangarello will be hired as the QB Coach with the Running Game Coordinator designation.

Edited by Mind Character

49 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Last year was frankenstein's monster, meat from all over the nfl. 

This year things will all be on the same page, everyone has worked with old kev

All I want is some sort of identity. As weird as Greggg was he at least brought a defensive identity with him and you can tell they were playing a specific style. Last year the offense seemed to morph and change on a per quarter basis and I never knew what variation we were going to get.

It would be nice going into a game week knowing who the Browns are, what they are going to try and do and what it should look like.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Imo, the hiring of Callahan, O'Shea, and retaining of Stump guarantees:

1.) We're not hiring Mike LaFleur or a big-name external OC candiate as the primary play-caller

2.) As a result, Kevin Stefanski will be the primary play-caller

------------------

That's because when you hire an external primary play-caller Offensive Coordinator it's customary practice in the league to allow them to staff the offensive side of the ball with at least 2 coaches of their choice whom they trust to communicate/coach their messages/systems to the offense.

Most of the time the OC will bring in their OLine Coach as well as RBC/WRC/QBC of choice. One of those positional coaches will then have a run-pass coordinator added title.

We now only have the QBC and TEC positional coaching positions available along with the additional titles of Running Game Coordinator and Assistant Head Coach as contractual/role sweetners to recruit other experienced coaches. We also have an outright Offensive Coordinator position available, but with O'Shea getting the pass-game coordinator title without an OC's say so means that's not likely an open position on our coaching staff.

While it's still possible that a LaFleur external candidate type is hired and then he pairs with a Scangarello/someone else as QBC (Scangarello worked in San Fran with him) and bring in his own TEC, that to me is a serious remote possibility now.

The key was giving O'Shea the Passing Game Coordinator role. That role is decided most often by the Offensive Coordinator. In this case, that means Stefanski as OC and HC.

My guess is that Callahan will receive the Assistant Head Coach designation and Rich Scangarello will be hired as the QB Coach with the Running Game Coordinator designation.

So assuming this goes down exactly how it is looking based on your assertions, how would you feel about that group? The proof will be in the pudding blah blah blah, but on paper are you confident? It sounds like a pretty solid set of hires, and honestly it seems like we haven't had so many purposeful hires in a long time. But maybe you feel differently...?

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

All I want is some sort of identity. As weird as Greggg was he at least brought a defensive identity with him and you can tell they were playing a specific style. Last year the offense seemed to morph and change on a per quarter basis and I never knew what variation we were going to get.

It would be nice going into a game week knowing who the Browns are, what they are going to try and do and what it should look like.

Totally agree.

*in Trump voice:* Tayne is the most patient of all Browns fans. It's really incredible how patient Tayne is

; however, last season was the most frustrating team to watch as far as can remember. Even though we had a lot more talent than usual, there was this sense on all levels pretty much at all times that we had no identity/plan at all, that our coaches didn't even have agreement on what were trying to do,

Even on Hue Jackson's team of consistent mediocrity, we were consistently trying and failing to do certain things. The closest thing we could say to that last year was that our offense seemed to be attempting to do deep drops and deep passes often, but that's about it, and of course it was a disaster.

Even our running game seemed predicated on Nick Chubb just being really really really really really good, rather than a blocking scheme being executed to perfection.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

So assuming this goes down exactly how it is looking based on your assertions, how would you feel about that group? The proof will be in the pudding blah blah blah, but on paper are you confident? It sounds like a pretty solid set of hires, and honestly it seems like we haven't had so many purposeful hires in a long time. But maybe you feel differently...?

HC: Kevin Stefanski

QBC/RGC: Rich Scangarello

RBC: Stump Mitchell

OL: Bill Callahan

TEC: n/a

WR/PGC: Chad O'Shea

DC: Joe Woods

ST: Mike Preifer

-----

I agree that we haven't had this many (proposed) purposeful hires in terms of our offense having 5 OC experience coaches (Stump Included).

Overall, the quality of the staff will have to do with what we do on the Defensive side of the ball.

It's a good group, but without hindsight bias and based on the accomplishments of the coaches before they were hired in Cleveland the 2018 Browns Staff of Hue Jackson, Todd Haley, Ken Zampese, Bob Wylie, Al Saunders, Gregg Williams, Clyde Simmons was a rather impressive collection of coaching talent.

In terms of how I'd feel about the proposed coaching hires? I think it's a very solid, through and through staff.

I'd feel good about it and excited if we could hire an external OC candidate, Scangs as QBC, and fill out the defensive staff with quality.

In that case, I'd feel great about the staff (as great as one can feel about a Browns staff at this point).

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

HC: Kevin Stefanski

QBC/RGC: Rich Scangarello

RBC: Stump Mitchell

OL: Bill Callahan

TEC: n/a

WR/PGC: Chad O'Shea

DC: Joe Woods

ST: Mike Preifer

-----

I agree that we haven't had this many (proposed) purposeful hires in terms of our offense having 5 OC experience coaches (Stump Included).

Overall, the quality of the staff will have to do with what we do on the Defensive side of the ball.

It's a good group, but without hindsight bias and based on the accomplishments of the coaches before they were hired in Cleveland the 2018 Browns Staff of Hue Jackson, Todd Haley, Ken Zampese, Bob Wylie, Al Saunders, Gregg Williams, Clyde Simmons was a rather impressive collection of coaching talent.

In terms of how I'd feel about the proposed coaching hires? I think it's a very solid, through and through staff.

I'd feel good about it and excited if we could hire an external OC candidate, Scangs as QBC, and fill out the defensive staff with quality.

In that case, I'd feel great about the staff (as great as one can feel about a Browns staff at this point).

Fair answer and reasonable bolded asterisk statement.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I bet mcdaniels gets promotes in san fran to oc and or assit head coach.

I heard McDaniel would be allowed to leave if he got a play calling offensive coordinator gig.

He will never call the plays in SF though.  No way Kyle gives that up.

• Like 1