AFC Championship Titans@Chiefs

x0x

Who you got?  

154 members have voted

1. 1. 2020 AFC Champion Is?

• Kansas City Chiefs
    • Tennessee Titans

As I've said before, a lot of people thinkt that if team A beats team B in the playoffs, they are the better team. That's never how I've seen it, especially in a sport like football where it's one and done and not a series of 4 of 7 to win for example.

In football, you have a bad day or whatever, any team can beat any team and at any moment.

It's clear for me that I'd rather my Chiefs face the Titans than the Ravens at this point in time.

The Titans can be proud. They have won two consecutive games on the road in the playoffs when the opposing teams were clear favorites. Nobody saw them where they are now. They have done great.

Do I think they are a top 3 team in the AFC? Probably not. But that doesn't diminish their effort and performance so far during these playoffs.

And who knows, they might just continue and maybe I will eventually change my mind.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

2 of Tennessee's scoring drives were 20 yards or less.

Wrong. One scoring drive was 20 yards, the other two were 45 and 35 yards long. 

They had 8 drives out of 11 that went for less than 40 yards.

Which sounds terrible, unless you actually take the time to break it down.

First of all, Tennessee only had ten drives considering one of those was a kneel down to win the game. Two of the remaining ten possessions started at the 20 and 35 yard line off of turnovers, which are beyond their control (they scored touchdowns on both drives). Another two of those ten happened in the 3rd quarter after it was already a blow out (28-6, at the time), and two more came in the 4th quarter when the score was still beyond reach at 28-12. By that point Tennessee didn't have to produce points or risk throwing to sustain long drives; they did all their damage in the first half and were content on running Henry and burning the clock. So six out of the ten drives you pointed out as a means of calling Tennessee's offense poor, aren't really indicative of anything. They scored on short fields when they had to, torched your defense with a 81 yard scoring drive, and burned the clock when the game was pretty much over. That's all they really needed. While your offense was struggling, your defense failed to make any stops. Tannehil barely had to do anything (14 attempts). If they wanted to, I'm sure they could have made things look much worse.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, -Hope- said:

can we put a moratorium on crying ravens fans in here? this thread is about teams that are actually still playing.

It’s just one guy. And his posts are so ridiculous and full of salt that seems like pure crying, that other Raven fans are embarrassed. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Buckweath said:

So the voting is 55-47 for Chiefs. Hard to understand. I guess people like to root for the underdog.

The Chiefs should be clear favorites for this one. I've just seen that all ESPN expert picks are for the Chiefs.

Not saying the Titans don't have any chance but at the same time a blowout win for the Chiefs would be no suprise.

2 hours ago, N4L said:

Titans confirmed

The ESPN expert crew has been the worst crew on the planet at picking games. 9/10 have the Niners and 10/10 have the Chiefs. This basically has ensured that one of the Titans or Packers will win this week. My bet would be the Titans. 

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Wrong. One scoring drive was 20 yards, the other two were 45 and 35 yards long. 

Meant to say 30 yards - 20 and 29 yards were 2/4 of their scoring drives. The other 2 were the one play TD and the long Henry run.

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Which sounds terrible, unless you actually take the time to break it down.

First of all, Tennessee only had ten drives considering one of those was a kneel down to win the game. Two of the remaining ten possessions started at the 20 and 35 yard line off of turnovers, which are beyond their control (they scored touchdowns on both drives). Another two of those ten happened in the 3rd quarter after it was already a blow out (28-6, at the time), and two more came in the 4th quarter when the score was still beyond reach at 28-12. By that point Tennessee didn't have to produce points or risk throwing to sustain long drives; they did all their damage in the first half and were content on running Henry and burning the clock. So six out of the ten drives you pointed out as a means of calling Tennessee's offense poor, aren't really indicative of anything. They scored on short fields when they had to, torched your defense with a 81 yard scoring drive, and burned the clock when the game was pretty much over. That's all they really needed. While your offense was struggling, your defense failed to make any stops. Tannehil barely had to do anything (14 attempts). If they wanted to, I'm sure they could have made things look much worse.

Their longest drive chewed up not even 5 minutes of clock. The Ravens had 3 drives alone over 5 minutes (and got points on only one of them, the other 2 were the failed 4th down drives). Our defense was largely ineffective, no argument there, but even when they did get stops and forced punts, we get penalties on the punts and forced our offense to start pinned back inside our own 20. We had one drive start beyond our own 25 yard line (at the 26 yard line).

Look again literally all I'm saying is that everything that could go wrong went wrong for the Ravens last weekend. If you want to seriously say that the Ravens showed up but simply got out played by the Titans, I think that's delusional. The Titans played well enough to win, but the Ravens did themselves in ultimately and I think that plays a large factor in why the Chiefs are being regarded as heavy favorites this weekend.

55 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It's not like we came out and played a good game but they just played better. We played like garbage, and it wasn't really the result of the Titans playing better than us in most phases (unless you think dropped passes, penalties, abandoning your identity when you're down 14 in the 1st quarter are things out of your control?).

You didn't play well, but credit to Tennessee for putting you in a position to fail and compound mistakes. The fact that they capitalized on their two short field positions put your team in a place of discomfort; it was an adversity that the Ravens weren't accustomed to this year, and it showed in their play. Even Tony Romo mentioned during the KC/HOU broadcast, once a favorited team is down, there is a TON of added pressure to make plays. Instead of just going out there and naturally playing your game, you're overthinking everything. If Ravens defense makes those short field stops, which they were very capable of doing,  it's a completely different game. But they didn't, and the Ravens should take the blame for that. It's a difference of making it a 6-0 or 3-0 game versus a 14-0 game.

I think when you look at how many things needed to go right for them and wrong for the Ravens in order for them to win that game while playing so poorly offensively, can those things again replicate themselves against KC? I don't think so, personally.

Knowing what I know now, I don't think Tennessee needed that much of an advantage to win. I underestimated them, and predicted the Ravens would roll. I'm not going to underestimate them again in KC. They've earned it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Their longest drive chewed up not even 5 minutes of clock. The Ravens had 3 drives alone over 5 minutes (and got points on only one of them, the other 2 were the failed 4th down drives).

Time doesn't mean anything when you're scoring points. 

10 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Our defense was largely ineffective, no argument there, but even when they did get stops and forced punts, we get penalties on the punts and forced our offense to start pinned back inside our own 20. We had one drive start beyond our own 25 yard line (at the 26 yard line).

Well man, that's why you have Lamar Jackson and the #1 ranked offense. You're supposed to move the ball with relative ease when you have to. Starting every drive inside the 20 is a disadvantage, but it shouldn't render your offense useless.

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If you want to seriously say that the Ravens showed up but simply got out played by the Titans, I think that's delusional.

I'm definitely not saying that, but fair.

13 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The Titans played well enough to win, but the Ravens did themselves in ultimately and I think that plays a large factor in why the Chiefs are being regarded as heavy favorites this weekend.

They really aren't a heavy favourite though. The line started at -7.5 and is moving down (it's currently at -7 for the Chiefs). People are on the Titans, and deservedly so. 

5 hours ago, Buckweath said:

So the voting is 55-47 for Chiefs. Hard to understand. I guess people like to root for the underdog.

The Chiefs should be clear favorites for this one. I've just seen that all ESPN expert picks are for the Chiefs.

Not saying the Titans don't have any chance but at the same time a blowout win for the Chiefs would be no suprise.

I give the Chiefs a 60% chance to win this game.

If Chris Jones doesn't play it's pretty hard to imagine that the Titans aren't able to just run the ball down the throat of the Chiefs defense at will. Doing that will allow them to dominate the TOP, keep Mahomes and co. off the field and keep their own defense rested while exhausting the KC defense.

At the same time I don't really see the Titans defense doing much to stop Mahomes/Kelce/Hill.

It's also worth noting that the Titans are 4-1 against the Chiefs in their last 5 matchups including a win at home in week 10 of this season.

The Chiefs are the better team, but I do think a physical power run team like the Titans is a pretty bad matchup for the Chiefs.

Not to mention Andy is 1-5 in Conf Championship games in his career.

Edited by Bolts223

12 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Time doesn't mean anything when you're scoring points. 

Well man, that's why you have Lamar Jackson and the #1 ranked offense. You're supposed to move the ball with relative ease when you have to. Starting every drive inside the 20 is a disadvantage, but it shouldn't render your offense useless.

I'm definitely not saying that, but fair.

They really aren't a heavy favourite though. The line started at -7.5 and is moving down (it's currently at -7 for the Chiefs). People are on the Titans, and deservedly so. 

Not that it really matters but -7 is heavy favorites in my book. I mean we're talking about the AFC Championship game.

12 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

7 points is a one score game. One score games are close games.

7 points is a lot in a Conference Title Game for betting. And Vegas isn’t predicting a 7 point victory, that’s the starting point for the line. 

Conf Title games usually you’ll see even lines and up to -4. These games are both -7. 

• Like 2