2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Maurice Hurst was graded as the top player in all of college according to PFF.  Maybe a good pick for the Raiders at 9-10?  I don't follow a lot of college, I just noticed that not many people are talking about him even though he received such a high grade from PFF.  I know a lot of people think PFF is garbage, but I'd still like to know what people think about him.

I hate be PFF. More so on the college level. Entirely too many variables and personal opinions. My wife's family are Mich grads so I've seen a lot of Hurst and here is my take.

He has a good first step. He's disruptive when he's free on stunts and movement on the Dline. Otherwise, he's undersized and easily neutralized when locked on against quality Oline players. Stronger guys with length own him once they get their hands on him. 

IMO, NFL interiors will give him fits. He's a 3Tech that needs the right scheme to be successful and get him upfield. Top 10 is to rich for me. I have him 20-32. I like his pass rush potential however. He could fit Guenther's scheme as a 3tech.

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I hate be PFF. More so on the college level. Entirely too many variables and personal opinions. My wife's family are Mich grads so I've seen a lot of Hurst and here is my take.

He has a good first step. He's disruptive when he's free on stunts and movement on the Dline. Otherwise, he's undersized and easily neutralized when locked on against quality Oline players. Stronger guys with length own him once they get their hands on him. 

IMO, NFL interiors will give him fits. He's a 3Tech that needs the right scheme to be successful and get him upfield. Top 10 is to rich for me. I have him 20-32. I like his pass rush potential however. He could fit Guenther's scheme as a 3tech.

Ok Mel palooka Jr.

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You'd select him at 10? Why?

Same reason I loved Aaron Donald, he's not a liability against the run can get pressure in an instant, can he get stronger, of course ,and he will, but his height limitation is actually a plus, he gets lower than the O linemen and wins with leverage and a good motor. 

2 hours ago, raidr4life said:

Same reason I loved Aaron Donald, he's not a liability against the run can get pressure in an instant, can he get stronger, of course ,and he will, but his height limitation is actually a plus, he gets lower than the O linemen and wins with leverage and a good motor. 

hes  no aaron donald imo not even close

7 hours ago, raidr4life said:

So basically you want him to be Aaron Donald. But he's not even close. There are serious questions about if he can add to his frame. He also loses because he's undersized and can be controlled easily when squared up.

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

So basically you want him to be Aaron Donald. But he's not even close. There are serious questions about if he can add to his frame. He also loses because he's undersized and can be controlled easily when squared up.

Hurst doesn't lose often. He absorbs double teams more than almost any other interior player in college football. He's not a guy offensive lines move easily. I don't know how you came to that conclusion.

I don't think he's Aaron Donald (he's not the same athlete) but I do see Mike Daniels/Sheldon Rankins in him.

7 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

I don't think he's Aaron Donald (he's not the same athlete) but I do see Mike Daniels/Sheldon Rankins in him.

Which is why I don't think he's a top 10 pick. He's not among the top 10 players in this class. 

I like him, think he will have a nice career but anyone wanting to take him top 10 is misguided because they think he can be Aaron Donald. 

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Which is why I don't think he's a top 10 pick. He's not among the top 10 players in this class. 

I like him, think he will have a nice career but anyone wanting to take him top 10 is misguided because they think he can be Aaron Donald. 

I disagree. I think he's easily within the top 10-15 players in this draft (I'm not ranking QB since the Raiders don't need one):

In no order:

Denzel Ward

Vita Vea

Saquon Barkley

Derrius Guice

Quenton Nelson

Joshua Jackson

Minkah Fitzpatrick

Maurice Hurst

Tremaine Edmunds

Roquan Smith

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Funny thing is when I said if Mack doesn't fall to us we should take Aaron Donald, people said the same things you are saying now. Now it's "nobody is Aaron Donald" not say he is, but he will be imppactful.

1 hour ago, raidr4life said:

Funny thing is when I said if Mack doesn't fall to us we should take Aaron Donald, people said the same things you are saying now. Now it's "nobody is Aaron Donald" not say he is, but he will be imppactful.

Just because Donald has been exceptional doesn't mean Hurst will be anything. I see many differences in the extent of their traits but his draft position is still in question and a good performance at the combine could help him greatly in that respect. As to his impact I think it will have a lot to do with his situation after the draft.

Archived