2018 Draft thread - PICK THE FASTEST GUY AVAILABLE

NightTrainLane

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

The more I watch him, the more I think I personally would take Derwin James at 10. He's gonna be an absolute stud at a position of need in the NFL. Hell, he can probably play cornerback or nickel linebacker and do it super well.

You draft guys like him and worry about fit in a defense later. He can legit step on the field day 1 and change the defense. 

Also SB88, I get what you're saying, but I wanna see Kjo at free safety. I think he can shine there with his range like he did in college. He just isn't meant to cover tight ends one on one.

I agree. Hard to see it happening unless Gruden/Guenther are not sold on Obi. James brings leadership as well. Great locker room guy by all accounts.

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

I agree. Hard to see it happening unless Gruden/Guenther are not sold on Obi. James brings leadership as well. Great locker room guy by all accounts.

I think you can play 3 defensive backs when you have a guy as versatile as Derwin. I think Guenther will get the best out of Obi like he did with Illoka.

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

You hope he can. There is a difference there. 

And what exactly is that difference? I know your Obi skepticism is a recurring bit at this point, but there is literally no difference between thinking he'll be good vs. hoping he'll be good -- unless of course you're so dogmatic in your evaluation on him that no one can possibly logically think he'll be good.

5 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You draft guys like him and worry about fit in a defense later. He can legit step on the field day 1 and change the defense. 

I  disagree with this take on virtually any safety/linebacker. He's a good player, but he can't step in and dominate at any position (especially not at corner). I view him as a WLB/ILB in the NFL in a similar mold of Deone Bucannon. I wouldn't hate the pick, but I don't think he'd change the complexion of the defense.

This thinking also sets the player up for failure: if he doesn't become a game-changer right away, fans immediately think he's a bust.

4 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

And what exactly is that difference? I know your Obi skepticism is a recurring bit at this point, but there is literally no difference between thinking he'll be good vs. hoping he'll be good -- unless of course you're so dogmatic in your evaluation on him that no one can possibly logically think he'll be good.

Thinking implies you are fairly certain about something. In this case that Guenther can get the best out of Obi.

Hoping implies wanting something to be true. In this case, wanting Guenther to get the the best out of Obi. It's wishful. Not assured or certain. 

It's uncertain, because we don't know what talent Obi has. Therefore, we are wanting (read, hopeful) he becomes something under Guenther. 

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It's uncertain, because we don't know what talent Obi has.

This simply isn’t true. We have a pretty good idea of Melifonwu’s talent. We even have a pretty good idea of what type of player he can be. 

11 hours ago, Mr Bob Dobalina said:

Yes I believe Derwin James is the pick.His measurable’s and upside are greater than than Fitzpatrick. He could step right in and be a impact player from day one.

I can very easily see James being the pick at 10.  He looks like a good player and our secondary is in shambles.  

Archived