2020 Baltimore Ravens Offseason Tracker

coordinator0

There's some chatter about Ravens being interested in bringing back KO in the wake of Yanda's retirement announcement. Not sure how much of that is legitimate and how much is a convenient/easy story to write.

https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/2020/3/11/21174270/report-ravens-may-be-eyeing-a-reunion-with-kelechi-osemele-marshal-yanda-right-guard-free-agency

For the right price, I certainly wouldn't hate it. I think he would make more sense at LG, though, with Bozeman kicking back into C (Mekari going back to a reserve role), and Powers getting a crack at the RG position. We run our power game predominantly to the right, so if he is still a bit leaner, he makes more sense in the oft-pulling LG spot. This assumes Skura starts on the PUP, by the way.

If he's not producing we would have the option of kicking Bozeman back to LG with either Skura returning from injury or Mekari stepping back into the lineup. Additionally, Hurst could come in a month into the season and potentially play a passable LG.

I'm pretty skeptical on the KO links. Just seems like reporters connecting the dots on Yanda retiring/him being an ex-Raven. 

From what I recall he didn't leave on the best of terms - and while stuff like that can be mended with time, I'm just not sure whether they're going to look at him as a good culture fit. I don't know enough about what happened with the Jets to really know who was in the right, but it does raise some questions about how committed he's going to be, and particularly when it comes to bringing in veterans I think that's going to be a real consideration given that I think Harbaugh has finally gotten this locker room to a place where the culture is very much where he wants it to be (a lot of that comes from Lamar's influence, I think). Not to mention, EDC is pretty tight with the Jets FO guys so if he's hearing a bad rec from them on their experience with KO, it's probably going to hold some water with us when it comes to deciding whether to move for him or not. 

4 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

For the right price, I certainly wouldn't hate it. I think he would make more sense at LG, though, with Bozeman kicking back into C (Mekari going back to a reserve role), and Powers getting a crack at the RG position. We run our power game predominantly to the right, so if he is still a bit leaner, he makes more sense in the oft-pulling LG spot. This assumes Skura starts on the PUP, by the way.

Mekari was an injured, OT-IOL conversion UDFA that still beat out and held off Ben Powers for activation and playing time during an incredibly successful season for the team. It's hard for me to envision a scenario where Powers is not only able to surpass Mekari on the depth chart, but also earn a starter designation in such a manner.

I think it's going to be an uphill battle for him against the guys currently in house and those we'll add through FA and the Draft.

It will be interesting to see how Roman adapts to the loss of Yanda too. Roman isn't a plug and play guy, he tailors the scheme to fit his player's strengths. We saw a big difference in what was asked of Matt Skura compared to the role Jensen was in. So I expect we'll see quite a few tweaks. 

Mekari was better than Bozeman too. The Ravens need two guards. They're set at center with Mekari and Bozeman being able to slide back there if needed as depth. With Yanda retiring it becomes imperative to upgrade over Bozeman as a starting LG while getting a quality RG in as well. Neither is going to be as good as Marshal but the line might look a little more well-balanced at least. 

Powers is a big unknown. I don't feel comfortable writing him off or penciling him in for any snaps. It would be nice if he's able to step in as the right guard but insurance is needed. The team needs a backup left tackle too. Since Hurst is suspended the only other backup tackle worth mentioning is Andre Smith. I mean, this is the depth chart right now:

OT: Ronnie Stanley / Orlando Brown / Andre Smith / Will Holden / Marcus Applefield

OG: Bradley Bozeman / Ben Powers / R.J. Prince

C: Patrick Mekari

With Skura as an ERFA but still unlikely to provide much with his injury. Two guards, one tackle. Brings the offensive line count up to 9 and then Hurst is returning from suspension during the season.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Mekari was an injured, OT-IOL conversion UDFA that still beat out and held off Ben Powers for activation and playing time during an incredibly successful season for the team. It's hard for me to envision a scenario where Powers is not only able to surpass Mekari on the depth chart, but also earn a starter designation in such a manner.

I think it's going to be an uphill battle for him against the guys currently in house and those we'll add through FA and the Draft.

It will be interesting to see how Roman adapts to the loss of Yanda too. Roman isn't a plug and play guy, he tailors the scheme to fit his player's strengths. We saw a big difference in what was asked of Matt Skura compared to the role Jensen was in. So I expect we'll see quite a few tweaks. 

1) Powers was not a center

2) It's been made fairly clear to this point that the team wanted Powers to focus exclusively on playing guard, likely for this exact possible scenario, activating guys who were prepared to be swing guys across multiple spots

5 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

1) Powers was not a center

2) It's been made fairly clear to this point that the team wanted Powers to focus exclusively on playing guard, likely for this exact possible scenario, activating guys who were prepared to be swing guys across multiple spots

Bozeman was/is a center too though. And Mekari beat out Powers at Guard as well. At every opportunity the coaches turned away from Powers, and early at that. From every angle it seems clear that Mekari is the superior and more valuable player in their eyes. 

Mekari's starting experience will make it even harder for him to be unseated now too. Harbaugh values that so much.

52 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Bozeman was/is a center too though. And Mekari beat out Powers at Guard as well. At every opportunity the coaches turned away from Powers, and early at that. From every angle it seems clear that Mekari is the superior and more valuable player in their eyes. 

Mekari's starting experience will make it even harder for him to be unseated now too. Harbaugh values that so much.

Yes, but the team made it clear through various channels (including the preference for swing guys being active on gameday) that they were interested in minimal disruption as much as possible. Bozeman started the season as the LG, so they didn't want to move him to C midseason and plug in a new LG.

Maybe Powers is a nothing-burger, but I get the sense that they were prepping him to be a RG for the next several seasons.

7 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Yes, but the team made it clear through various channels (including the preference for swing guys being active on gameday) that they were interested in minimal disruption as much as possible. Bozeman started the season as the LG, so they didn't want to move him to C midseason and plug in a new LG.

Maybe Powers is a nothing-burger, but I get the sense that they were prepping him to be a RG for the next several seasons.

This wasn’t just an in-season thing. Mekari put together a superior training camp by all media reports. He put together superior preseason grades. This mostly at the guard position above Powers (in the preseason where you would think Powers would get more experience). Then it wasn’t until the mid 3rd that Powers would play as a 3rd string guard where Mekari would then switch over to Center for reps there.

While I’m sure there is some truth to the narrative of keeping Powers at one position, it’s also true that Mekari was getting plenty of pub for his play inside. He flat beat out Powers, there was no secret sauce to that recipe. Unless all the field reporters and PFF graders somehow agreed to be biased towards an UDFA over the Ravens mid round selection for some yet unknown nefarious reasoning.

Occam's Razor tells us what we need to know regarding Mekari over Powers going into next season.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

This wasn’t just an in-season thing. Mekari put together a superior training camp by all media reports. He put together superior preseason grades. This mostly at the guard position above Powers (in the preseason where you would think Powers would get more experience). Then it wasn’t until the mid 3rd that Powers would play as a 3rd string guard where Mekari would then switch over to Center for reps there.

While I’m sure there is some truth to the narrative of keeping Powers at one position, it’s also true that Mekari was getting plenty of pub for his play inside. He flat beat out Powers, there was no secret sauce to that recipe. Unless all the field reporters and PFF graders somehow agreed to be biased towards an UDFA over the Ravens mid round selection for some yet unknown nefarious reasoning.

Occam's Razor tells us what we need to know regarding Mekari over Powers going into next season.

Fair points. We will just have to see. I will say, though, that this could speak more well of Mekari than it does poorly of Powers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Fair points. We will just have to see. I will say, though, that this could speak more well of Mekari than it does poorly of Powers.

Oh absolutely. I’m not trashing Powers at all. I think Mekari is underrated as a center. He rated in the 70s (or high 60s) as a rookie with his first season along the interior, which is crazy. Some of that I’m sure is the Lamar effect, but with an actual NFL offseason to reshape and prepare himself it wouldn’t shock me if he hits pro bowl level this season. But I’m also very high on Mekari.