Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

16 hours ago, Danger said:

There's a difference between being not being a QB away from contending, and being so disastrously devoid of talent that any QB drafted there sans a Caleb Williams is going to be ruined by the absolutely atrocious supporting cast, and likely flops of a coaching staff. New England should look to acquire as much future capital as possible. Tank this whole season. 

If tanking worked the Browns would be on their 3rd super bowl by now.  It is a good theory for some sports like basketball but their are too many moving parts in football.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Daniel said:

First of all, I don't think that's remotely true.  Very few QBs would be ruined their rookie year.

And if it's that bad, bench him for a few games.  There's your "tank."  Top end QBs are almost always on terrible teams.  He's not going to die, and he's not going to be completely ruined by one year on a bad squad.

ESPN actually had a graphic about his and they showed that mechanically flawed QBs who start too early have a high percentage to ruin their careers.  Of the list, Josh Allen was on the only one with double digit starts to have success later in his career.

What has been more successful is that you build a good team then go up and get your QB or get lucky and have them fall.  Bad teams that just throw a QB in just has a very low percentage of success in the modern game. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

ESPN actually had a graphic about his and they showed that mechanically flawed QBs who start too early have a high percentage to ruin their careers.  Of the list, Josh Allen was on the only one with double digit starts to have success later in his career.

What has been more successful is that you build a good team then go up and get your QB or get lucky and have them fall.  Bad teams that just throw a QB in just has a very low percentage of success in the modern game. 

Meh, that's an awful lot of qualifiers.  Got a link by any chance?

And I think a lot of that could be more correlation than causation.  Bad teams take players and ruin them.  Good teams tend to make better with what they get.  And bad teams are the ones hanging at the top of the draft more often.  And taking a QB early doesn't inherently mean starting him too early either, if the situation is really that bad.

Plus, given that the Pats are just coming off of the whole let a QB fall, maybe they should take advantage and draft a top QB.  Assuming that one is available, of course.  If they just don't think Daniels/Maye/whoever in this class is available when they pick will be good, then yes, don't force it.  But if you think that's not the case, it'd be foolish to not take him.

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Meh, that's an awful lot of qualifiers.  Got a link by any chance?

And I think a lot of that could be more correlation than causation.  Bad teams take players and ruin them.  Good teams tend to make better with what they get.  And bad teams are the ones hanging at the top of the draft more often.  And taking a QB early doesn't inherently mean starting him too early either, if the situation is really that bad.

Plus, given that the Pats are just coming off of the whole let a QB fall, maybe they should take advantage and draft a top QB.  Assuming that one is available, of course.  If they just don't think Daniels/Maye/whoever in this class is available when they pick will be good, then yes, don't force it.  But if you think that's not the case, it'd be foolish to not take him.

no link.  NFL today 4/22 show.

how many QBs come into the league that are not mechanically flawed in some way?  Mostly it is lower body (Trubisky, Wilson, Allen, Jones, Love ) or throwing motion (Fields, Mahomes).  Maye will be a QB from this draft that really needs to sit.

I am of the opinion that you build a good team then go get your QB.  You have to be able to identify that QB in the draft or get lucky.  Good teams with JAG QBs will be hanging in the teens to early 20s for the draft.   Even if you are wrong you still have a good team and might get lucky later (49'ers).

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I get that.  It's just more teams not needing QBs trying to drive them up the board.

Maybe, but it was a low key conversation about things she had noticed when talking about the draft with her contacts. It wasn’t a sensational tidbit. 

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Maybe, but it was a low key conversation about things she had noticed when talking about the draft with her contacts. It wasn’t a sensational tidbit. 

Plus she made it clear she wasn’t hearing the same about Nix.

• Like 1

Just now, goldfishwars said:

I mean, Penix seems to have been routinely linked as a first round prospect.  Do I view him that way?  No, but it's not hard to believe that one or two teams like him as a Day 1 prospect, and that other teams might talk themselves into taking him.  I mean, if you're Denver are you going to be content with Stidham and Wilson going into Day 2 without another top 64 pick, and hoping that someone like Bo Nix falls far enough to be able to move up the board?

1 minute ago, goldfishwars said:

Plus she made it clear she wasn’t hearing the same about Nix.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the NFL QB tiers are pretty defined.

Caleb Williams

-----------------

Drake Maye
JJ McCarthy
Jayden Daniels

-----------------

Michael Penix

-----------------

Bo Nix
Spencer Rattler

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the NFL QB tiers are pretty defined.

Caleb Williams

-----------------

Drake Maye
JJ McCarthy
Jayden Daniels

-----------------

Michael Penix

-----------------

Bo Nix
Spencer Rattler

Nix might be in a weird tier ahead of Rattler though. Like Penix might be getting some Round 1 love, but could easily go Round 2. I think Nix is getting a lot of Round 2 love as well, whereas Rattler would have to sneak in.