Draft General (News, Media Mocks, Big Boards, Rumors)

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

I will lose it 

I think what we see year after year is that insiders are good at figuring out "which team has interest in which players" and are really bad at estimating "how they value that player." 

Like I believe the Patriots have interest in McCarthy just like I believe the Chargers have interest in Latham, but neither of those guys are valued at the #3 or the #5 pick by those teams.  I think the reason we have so much uncertainty at the top of the draft is that Washington has been good about OpSec in that we don't really know what QB they want.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think what we see year after year is that insiders are good at figuring out "which team has interest in which players" and are really bad at estimating "how they value that player." 

Like I believe the Patriots have interest in McCarthy just like I believe the Chargers have interest in Latham, but neither of those guys are valued at the #3 or the #5 pick by those teams.  I think the reason we have so much uncertainty at the top of the draft is that Washington has been good about OpSec in that we don't really know what QB they want.

Pretty much. Another good example are the Giants. We know they've done heavy homework on the QBs but that doesn't mean they like any of them enough to draft them or trade extra capital for a specific guy.

1 hour ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

You can tell there haven't been any real leaks this year and all of these 'insiders' are scrambling right now to fling out takes. Makes this draft extra exciting.

Nah, this is normal:

When teams are deciding and it's just the GM/HC, no one is going to say anything. Now teams are putting up their boards and getting the war rooms ready so everyone from the GM to the intern desperate for clout can see the info, so it starts leaking.

It's not panic, teams logistically can't keep the secrets any longer.

• Like 1

My latest projection is that the Pats trade down to 6 with the Giants, Giants take Maye and are elated.  Pats take JJ at 6 and are elated.  Somehow the Giants trade for Aiyuk.  Pats potentially trade for Higgins.  Not all that far fetched if the Pats are really equal on Maye and JJ.

• Like 1

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Nah, this is normal:

When teams are deciding and it's just the GM/HC, no one is going to say anything. Now teams are putting up their boards and getting the war rooms ready so everyone from the GM to the intern desperate for clout can see the info, so it starts leaking.

It's not panic, teams logistically can't keep the secrets any longer.

I agree with all of this. My argument is more along the lines that even with these leaks, I haven't seen much of substance. Past drafts have had bigger leaks. Its the nature of this particular draft. So many opinions and way more teams with real incentive to both trade down and trade up makes it hard because there are so many contingencies. Most drafts are less dynamic than this one has the potential to be.

1 minute ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

I agree with all of this. My argument is more along the lines that even with these leaks, I haven't seen much of substance. Past drafts have had bigger leaks. Its the nature of this particular draft. So many opinions and way more teams with real incentive to both trade down and trade up makes it hard because there are so many contingencies. Most drafts are less dynamic than this one has the potential to be.

I think this draft is definitely a more exciting one, just by the nature of what we've got with the top prospects. At least 1 QB is going in the top 10 without a leading team, maybe 2, which should make for a trade heavy top 10. Then you have a belt of 3 WRs and damn near like 8 first round OTs, which also means reaches/trades should be coming.

Teams being generally more willing to tank and more front offices becoming clones of each other doesn't hurt either.

Totally agree with your optimism that this is going to be a crazy draft.

I feel like the talk of the Pats trading out/liking JJ is mostly a last ditch effort to get the Giants to give up a massive package for the chance to pick Maye. If they sit at 3 there is no shot they aren’t taking Maye imo. 

Just now, Teen Girl Squad said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they want to get to 7 or 8 to nab one of the WRs (or even Bowers). Puka is great but Kupp may never get back to his prime and you can't have enough WRs.

This was my thinking as well 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I feel like the talk of the Pats trading out/liking JJ is mostly a last ditch effort to get the Giants to give up a massive package for the chance to pick Maye. If they sit at 3 there is no shot they aren’t taking Maye imo. 

There are reasons you would prefer JJ to Maye. I don't agree with them, but I could see how it is possible. I don't think it would be insane for him to be picked over Maye. I would never do it, but I'm not running a team. 

16 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they want to get to 7 or 8 to nab one of the WRs (or even Bowers). Puka is great but Kupp may never get back to his prime and you can't have enough WRs.

We actually met with Odunze at least once add to that he and Puka were teammates