The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303

beekay414

Thought Colby lost the fight the exact moment they put this game plan together. Round 1 and 2 is not how Colby fights. It’s not even close. He didn’t stick with that game plan after round 2 tho. It was a good fight. Usman got hit pretty good a couple of times but he was never in any trouble. There is really only 1 fight for Usman at this time and it ain’t Leon Edwards. Give Chimaev Leon Edwards and winner gets Usman. Usman/Chimaev is the only fight in that weight class for Usman. He’s already ran though that division. 

1 minute ago, agarcia34 said:

Thought Colby lost the fight the exact moment they put this game plan together. Round 1 and 2 is not how Colby fights. It’s not even close. He didn’t stick with that game plan after round 2 tho. It was a good fight. Usman got hit pretty good a couple of times but he was never in any trouble. There is really only 1 fight for Usman at this time and it ain’t Leon Edwards. Give Chimaev Leon Edwards and winner gets Usman. Usman/Chimaev is the only fight in that weight class for Usman. He’s already ran though that division. 

Daniel Cormier FF account has been found 

damn what an amazing card. right from when I started watching, great fights all the way.

• Barnett vs Villante - that was some crazy ish. one of the most fun things I've ever seen in the octagon, this round dude landing a spinning kick and then hitting a flip. love this crazy dude.
  • Garry vs Williams - rough for Garry for much of that round. he looked raw, or maybe nervous, but he was getting tagged. This Williams dude (was gonna call him Island Boy but he cut his hair) is not that good though, awful overextension leading to him getting KOed. But at least we have a big KO to put on Garry's highlight reel now for his upcoming fights. They need to move this guy slow though, he's young and needs a lot of work.
  • Imavov looked great, Shahbazyan not so much. Couldn't cope with the pressure. Think he's having a rough time after being brought up for so long as a future champion, that's weighing on him now.
  • Hawes vs Curtis was nuts, Hawes looked dominant until he took a shot, then just crumbled. Incredible.
  • Was a bit shocked at Green vs Iaquinta, I was thinking before that fight that there's no way this doesn't end up as a split decision. Think Iaquinta's just been inactive too long, he was leaving his head out there to get lit up.
  • I was getting worried for Pereira for a moment there, looked like he was going to succumb to the grappling. But in hindsight, it was Michailidis going all out to try and control him in that position, and that was all he could do. Pereira's a freaking killer on the feet, he's so sharp.
  • Gaethje vs Chandler FOTY, one of the best of all time. I thought my heart was going to give out in that fight.
  • Kind of a shame for Burgos vs Quarantillo to have to follow that, would have been fight of the night any other night. Glad to see Burgos back.
  • Shame for Edgar he seems too small even for 135. fought Sandhagen now Vera, both seemed way bigger than him. Rough time for him, he looks about done. Nice Signature win for Vera though, should get him a big fight next time around.
  • Rose vs Weili was a great fight, super close. During the fight I was leaning to Weili having won the first 3 rounds, but could have been wrong there. Thought both fighters kind of accepted the guard position in the last round, and felt it was a mistake for both, with how close the fight was. Weili needed to be more desperate to get to her feet, Rose should have been trying to advance and finish (but it worked out for her in the end).
  • Another great fight between Usman and Colby. Thought Usman was going to run away with it after the first two rounds, but great comeback from Colby. Usman looks a little hittable out there. Some really interesting matchups on the horizon in that division.

So I finally watched the final 3 fights on tape delay. 

Both fights were great! Especially the final four rounds of the Main Event Championship Fight. The first round was both men feeling each other out. 

Rose vs Zhang I probably had scored similarly to everyone else. 

R1 10-9 Zhang (close)

R2 10-9 Rose (close)

R3 10-9 Zhang (super close)

R4 10-9 Rose (somewhat close)

R5 10-9 Rose (not close)

I was going to give Round 3 to Rose before that final takedown and mount by Zhang. Before that, I had it razor close for Rose. 

My Final Decision: 48-47, Rose. Championship Retained. 

Onto the Main Event… ummm I don’t disagree with decisions too often, but I actually disagree with this decision. 

Here is how I scored it:

R1 10-9 Usman (clearly Usman, although neither man did much)

R2 10-8 Usman (I go back and forth with this being a 10-9 and 10-8, but I’m gonna go with 10-8)

R3 10-9 Covington (close round but definitely Covington here)

R4 10-9 Covington (clearly Covington)

R5 10-9 Covington (Close round, but I thought Covington won this one, and looked more impressive)

My Final Decision: 47-47 Draw. Usman retains.

I do not think Usman won that fight. 

I give props to both men though, hell of a god damn fight. You can like or dislike Usman. You can like or dislike Covington. The fact is both are GREAT fighters and both are ENTERTAINING fighters. They will both be in the UFC for a very long time. 

Super superrrrr close fight. And a great, classic, fight. 

Money worth? Yes. 

58 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Colby is going to go down as WW Daniel Cormier. Is Usman/Jones arent around he could be the title holder for a LONG time and should beat all challengers that will eventually make a trilogy 

maybe

or maybe he loses to Luque, Edwards, or Chimaev.

I'm not ready to make that comparison of Jones/Cormier to Usman/Covington

• Like 1

• beekay414 changed the title to The MMA Thread | Poatan saves 303