2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

Dude. Gotta change your mindset. WR's don't matter anymore. 

But a gadget WR like Samuel would actually fit what LaFleur is trying to do. It's really the only piece left. 

Keep an eye on Joe Reed today in the draft. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

But a gadget WR like Samuel would actually fit what LaFleur is trying to do. It's really the only piece left. 

Keep an eye on Joe Reed today in the draft. 

You are thinking S.F. It's bait and switch - go watch the 2018 Titans

50 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Honestly given the moves we've seen, I doubt GB would even be interested in a player like Howard. 

I can see now how miserable LaFleur must have been with a guy like Graham on his offense. 

A player like Howard?  I'm not even sure what that means.  Was Howard not rated as a very effective blocker last season?  

I agree that these picks are looking to transform the offense.  The problem I see is that it is doing it in an odd way.    We don't have an OL built to pound the ball.   We have talented OL who move well and pass block well.   Dillon does not help them be successful, and they will not bring out the best in Dillon.    We aren't investing in the OL to make the change.   Backwards.

We give Rodgers a huge contract before we had to, and then basically tell him we are moving on anyway.   Waste of money, and probably not great for the locker room.

In year 1 of the new regime Aaron Jones breaks out and is a huge reason for the success that we had.  His reward is that we pick a RB in the 2nd round to tell him we are moving on.

We time and again put Martinez in bad positions with the defensive personnel and formations.   The guy lead the league in tackles, and is rewarded by being told we are moving on.

I don't see how what we are doing plays toward building a locker room, or having success on the field.  Drafting low impact positions high is an odd strategy.  I don't have a problem with the players we are picking per se, I hate the team strategy. 

This is so bad that I think Murphy needs to think about moving on.     This is how a good organization turns into a failing one.

5 minutes ago, cannondale said:

You are thinking S.F. It's bait and switch - go watch the 2018 Titans

I mean the 2018 Titans had Mariota at QB who's now a backup QB in the NFL and their best WR that year was Tajae Sharpe (who sucks). 

We are miles ahead of the Titans even if we run the exact same offense. Personnel matters too. The 49ers run a very similar system and it works because they have the right players, not even necessarily the best ones. I mean, the 49ers' top two WRs right now are Deebo Samuel and now Brandon Aiyuk. Would you trade both of them for Davante Adams right now? The Niners would.