2020 Off-season Discussion Thread

squire12

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I don't hate the Jordan Love pick. Between Gary and Love, the Packers appear to have a policy that rookies shouldn't be starting or even carrying heavy snaps at premium positions. I kinda understand that philosophy. I don't necessarily think it's reasonable, but that's where we are. 

I hate the Dillon pick. I don't hate Dillon, I just don't see anything that tells me the full talent collection is anything that stands out from a guy we could have drafted in the fourth round. I understand the appeal of a big guy who can run the outside zone. I just don't love the value.

I don't know enough about Deguara to have a strong opinion on him other than I don't like his athletic metrics for TEs, though maybe that's just an instance of the weird testing this year. 

+++

I think Packer fans expected Gute and LaFleur to go into this draft looking to fill holes. I think instead what they did was come in looking to build a roster around an organizational philosophy. 

It sucks to not patch holes on your boat when your boat is still a decent boat and overachieved and got pretty close to the finish line last year. 

But the guys in charge don't like the kind of boat we have and want to build a different kind. It sucks, but that's life in the NFL.

I couldn't have said it better. 

• Like 1

Honest question: how much does a LeFluer offense help Rodgers? More run based, less spread. Seems like that moves away from what we've been complaining about (holding the ball, missing open receivers).

Honest question: how much does a LeFluer offense help the defense? Run based to control the flow and time of possession?

The picks this year seem to indicate the FO is moving towards what LaFleur wants for his plan to work. They are most definitely moving away from what we as fans are used to with the MM and TT strategy. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Anyone else wishing GB had traded their RD2 pick for TE Howard now?

Honestly given the moves we've seen, I doubt GB would even be interested in a player like Howard. 

I can see now how miserable LaFleur must have been with a guy like Graham on his offense. 

1 minute ago, GalenaPackFan said:

Honest question: how much does a LeFluer offense help Rodgers? More run based, less spread. Seems like that moves away from what we've been complaining about (holding the ball, missing open receivers).

Honest question: how much does a LeFluer offense help the defense? Run based to control the flow and time of possession?

The picks this year seem to indicate the FO is moving towards what LaFleur wants for his plan to work. They are most definitely moving away from what we as fans are used to with the MM and TT strategy. 

Interesting points! It obviously helps the defense out when they are not on the field if we can control the ball/clock.

Unless LaFleur takes away any ability for Rodgers to audible, he's going to change plays to pass plays. I think that might be the biggest dynamic to watch this season. If Rodgers continues to resist, does the player/coach relationship deteriorate to a point of no return? I think that is the biggest question. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Interesting points! It obviously helps the defense out when they are not on the field if we can control the ball/clock.

Unless LaFleur takes away any ability for Rodgers to audible, he's going to change plays to pass plays. I think that might be the biggest dynamic to watch this season. If Rodgers continues to resist, does the player/coach relationship deteriorate to a point of no return? I think that is the biggest question. 

That dynamic is probably more when not if.

I don't see Rodgers wanting to hand the ball off 30ish times per game.  At least not before clock killing time 

6 minutes ago, GalenaPackFan said:

The problem with the idea of it helping Rodgers is that in a lot of instances when he doesn't like that first target and is giving the second target the cold shoulder, there just isn't a third and fourth option to throw the ball to. That's when we get throw-aways and sacks.

The problem with the idea of it helping the defense is that ball control offenses have proven to have a slightly negative affect on time of possession. The number one factor for time of possession by far is plays per drive. The number one factor in plays per drive is 3rd down conversion percentage. When you run the ball on 2nd and 8, you end up with 3rd and long a lot and have a poor 3rd down conversion percentage. That actually hurts your defense. 

i think people are failing to appreciate that a third round pick from a year or two ago may be in a better position to have an impact THIS year than a first round pick would have been, particularly with a short season. 

Does anyone else think Oren Burks will make a big jump this year? 

6 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

i think people are failing to appreciate that a third round pick from a year or two ago may be in a better position to have an impact THIS year than a first round pick would have been, particularly with a short season. 

No

12 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

No