Draft Guarantees & Staying at 10 VS. a Trade-Down

Mind Character

The 7 or so  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Excluding the top 3 QBs likely to go top 10, how many players are there in the draft that are worthy of 10th overall instead of trading down?

2. 2. When it's all said and done do you think that we trade down?

3. 3. When it's all said and done do we select an OLineman at 10 or with our 1st round selection?

• 2 weeks later...

I now think no matter the order they come off the board, there are 8 players that are guaranteed to go within the top 8 picks unless some bad medical or combine interview news happens in the future.

Players guaranteed to go in thetop 8 picks are the following:

1.) Chase Young, DE Ohio STate

2.) Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama

3.) Jeffrey Okudah, CB Ohio State

4.) Isaiah Simmons, Hybrid-LB Clemson

5.) Derrick Brown, DT Auburn

6.) Joe Burrow, QB LSU

7.) Justin Herbert, QB Oregon

8.) Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville

-------

That tells me that if we want one of the premium non-QBs we'll have to trade up to at least 8.

If Tua's medicals check out, that would mean we have to get to pick 9.

Edited by Mind Character

44 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

8.) Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville

I know a lot of people love him and I think he's good, but he's my 4th best OT prospect in the draft.

45 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

7.) Justin Herbert, QB Oregon

For the life of me, I just don't see what everyone else sees with him.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I know a lot of people love him and I think he's good, but he's my 4th best OT prospect in the draft.

Becton is my 6th best OT, but it's undeniable that he's going top 8 imo based on how the league views talents like him and how well he'll interview.

That list was the 8 prospects who I think are guaranteed to go top 8 before our pick not where I have Becton or others ranked per se.

4 hours ago, MWil23 said:

For the life of me, I just don't see what everyone else sees with him.

Herbert.... He's 6-foot-6-and-1/8 inches as measured at the Senior Bowl and as athletic if not more than Cam and Wentz.

His arm is as big as Wentz but his accuracy and play in big moments as well as outward leadership are question marks.

He's a freak of nature that showed bowl season that if Josh Allen can be a viable QB in the league Herbert most certainly can.

Herbert's a bigger, more athletic, better intangibles, elite work ethic, lesser arm, lesser off-script ability, and more accurate version of Josh Allen.

That's not going below top 8, especially when he'll run 4.6 at the combine. There's just so much to build off of in terms of traits teams won't pass up on.

Edited by Mind Character

15 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

What are his red flags?  Not arguing that he has them, that's just not an argument I've ever heard.

A lot of stuff will likely come out combine time or up toward the draft, but I've heard he and the strength and conditioning staff, coaches, and his teammates have all got into it at various times about his commitment and accountability to improving and to the game. Uber talented but there's serious question marks about how much he loves it and will pursue the level of mastery and investment required at the next level to have a prolonged successful career.

To me, I'm all in on the Berry-Stefanski "smart, tough, accountable on and off the field" profile.

I don't want to draft guys with intangibles, competitiveness, reliability/dependability, love for the game over other stuff question marks anymore.

So, Thomas is off my list.

I'd rather Jack Driscoll, Robert Hunt, or Matt Peart types with outstanding intangibles and with lesser ability than Thomas.

Id be happy to get an OT with our 1st and 2nd round picks, if the talent is that good. There are so many years where there are no more than 1 or 2 great tackles. We have been too long without decent tackle play. 

If you can get guys that will play well at tackle for 5-10 years you do it, regardless of team needs, thinking about our 2nd round pick.

If we can buy a FS in FA, it really sets us up to draft BPA and need at 10 which is an offensive tackle.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Id be happy to get an OT with our 1st and 2nd round picks, if the talent is that good. There are so many years where there are no more than 1 or 2 great tackles. We have been too long without decent tackle play. 

If you can get guys that will play well at tackle for 5-10 years you do it, regardless of team needs, thinking about our 2nd round pick.

If we can buy a FS in FA, it really sets us up to draft BPA and need at 10 which is an offensive tackle.

Anthony Harris man lets get him 

we really need 2

• Like 1

I think predicting who will go in the top 8 is a bit dicey.  There will be risers, and fallers that will happen between now and April.  I do think that Young, Burrow, and Okudah are locks to go in the top 10.  I would not predict anything after that.  I still like Thomas, and Wirfs more than Becton.  Wills is definitely in the conversation to go top 10.  We should be able to end up with one of the top Tackles if we stick where we are at 10.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I think predicting who will go in the top 8 is a bit dicey.  There will be risers, and fallers that will happen between now and April.  I do think that Young, Burrow, and Okudah are locks to go in the top 10.  I would not predict anything after that.  I still like Thomas, and Wirfs more than Becton.  Wills is definitely in the conversation to go top 10.  We should be able to end up with one of the top Tackles if we stick where we are at 10.

Yup. On the bright side, going from pick 16 to pick 10 really opened things up. If we don't trade down, I'm predicting we end up with an alleged blue chip prospect.