General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Seriously, go get Shelby Harris on a short term deal. He's still got some quality pass rushing ability. He's not going to be the space eater and strength of Suh, but he's still a quality three tech. 

This.

Harris seems like the best still available. I would be upset with getting Shelby Harris and drafting Ross Blacklock in the top of the 2nd round.

1 minute ago, John232 said:

Day was great as a penetrator but I  felt he was always kind of trash when it came to the run. It's not a huge issue, our defense was susceptible to getting gashed in the run game and we were still dominant. 

For sure. He could break through on a pass rush, but he's also so small, easy to push around on the interior.

I agree with you that he seems like less of a JAG just because he's been here longer, but frankly he probably is just as much of a JAG as a guy like Zettel. Though in fairness, there is something to be said for chemistry and familiarity. 

I'm going to be pretty pissed if we end up drafting an IDL, even in a tradeback. Depend on the haul, but I think we have the players to rotate guys in and out. . This team isn't 2013 level cliff hanger, but we have some pretty huge holes opening up on the horizon. LT, CB (also a need now), C, IOL, WR, RB, LEO and possibly another Safety, maybe both strong and FS. Some of these are much more pressing than others but we have invested so much into our IDL, we need to give them a shot to prove themselves, especially since guys like Taylor and Jones (especially) have flashed hard. 

Edited by John232
  • Like 1

Just now, John232 said:

I'm going to be pretty pissed if we end up drafting an IDL, even in a tradeback. Depend on the haul, but I think we have the players to rotate guys in and out. I sort of look at IDL a little bit like IOL. This team isn't 2013 level cliff hanger, but we have some pretty huge holes opening up on the horizon. LT, CB (also a need now), C, IOL, WR, RB, LEO and possibly another Safety, maybe both strong and FS. Some of these are much more pressing than others but we have invested so much into our IDL, we need to give them a shot to prove themselves, especially since guys like Taylor and Jones (especially) have flashed hard. 

Right now, our IDL is Jones at NT and Thomas and Givens at 3T, that's it. An underachiever and P.S. depth at 3T. I like Blacklock and think he could be a real disruptor. Even if we don't draft one high, we still need to bring a few more guys to fill out a rotation and compete for roles. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Right now, our IDL is Jones at NT and Thomas and Givens at 3T, that's it. An underachiever and P.S. depth at 3T. I like Blacklock and think he could be a real disruptor. Even if we don't draft one high, we still need to bring a few more guys to fill out a rotation and compete for roles. 

Street and Blair can and will rotate on the inside. I agree we definitely need to bring people in, but if we sign someone like Shelby Harris, than I think that's more than enough. Especially for a draft in which we don't have a lot of top tier capital. later rounds, who cares. 

2 hours ago, John232 said:

I'm going to be pretty pissed if we end up drafting an IDL, even in a tradeback. Depend on the haul, but I think we have the players to rotate guys in and out. . This team isn't 2013 level cliff hanger, but we have some pretty huge holes opening up on the horizon. LT, CB (also a need now), C, IOL, WR, RB, LEO and possibly another Safety, maybe both strong and FS. Some of these are much more pressing than others but we have invested so much into our IDL, we need to give them a shot to prove themselves, especially since guys like Taylor and Jones (especially) have flashed hard. 

IDL is one of those holes opening on the horizon (and may be open right now). Buck is gone. Solly is on the last year of his deal and his option should certainly not be picked up. Street hasn't even been good in preseason. Blair is on a one year deal. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

IDL is one of those holes opening on the horizon (and may be open right now). Buck is gone. Solly is on the last year of his deal and his option should certainly not be picked up. Street hasn't even been good in preseason. Blair is on a one year deal. 

Calling it now they are going to pick up Solly's option.

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

They probably should, so long as he doesn't get hurt it's not really guaranteed. They can rescind it, though nobody ever seems to. But we pay that guy 17 million or whatever next year without him blowing up this year, I won't be super happy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

No way, not happening 

They have to exercise it before the 2020 season starts. Then it's guaranteed for injury. If he gets hurt this year we would be stuck paying him a huge number in 2021

So, zero chance we exercise it now 

Edited by N4L

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

No way, not happening 

They have to exercise it before the 2020 season starts. Then it's guaranteed for injury. If he gets hurt this year we would be stuck paying him a huge number in 2021

So, zero chance we exercise it now 

Honestly, it's a risk either way. Look at the Titans losing Conklin. So I could see them picking it up to rescind it, but for the life of me, I can't remember a team ever doing that. Not sure if you can? So if it's just a yes or no, it's going to be a no. But if saying yes and then turning it to a no is a possibility, I could see them doing that and just taking the risk. But it's definitely a lot of money. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, it's a risk either way. Look at the Titans losing Conklin. So I could see them picking it up to rescind it, but for the life of me, I can't remember a team ever doing that. Not sure if you can? So if it's just a yes or no, it's going to be a no. But if saying yes and then turning it to a no is a possibility, I could see them doing that and just taking the risk. But it's definitely a lot of money. 

You can't rescind it. You can cut him, but if he's injured, you can't cut him. 

You said it's 17m for the 5th year??? That's less than the tag for an interior DL. No reason to exercise it when we could tag him for less, assuming thats an accurate number 

I'd rather just extend him now for one more season at 8m or something 

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

You can't rescind it. You can cut him, but if he's injured, you can't cut him. 

Same difference there. I'm just trying to think when that has actually happened. 

4 minutes ago, N4L said:

You said it's 17m for the 5th year??? That's less than the tag for an interior DL. No reason to exercise it when we could tag him for less, assuming thats an accurate number 

Its something stupid because he was #3 overall. Over 15 million for sure, so it's in that ball park. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Same difference there. I'm just trying to think when that has actually happened. 

Its something stupid because he was #3 overall. Over 15 million for sure, so it's in that ball park. 

Wasn't the exact same thing, but kaep was uncuttable one year because he was hurt. 

Yeah, zero reason to exercise that 

Here's a fun game: Pre-draft over/under for the NFC. Here's what I think:

East

Cowboys - 9.5  Over

Eagles - 9.5  Under

Giants - 6  Push

Redskins - 5  Under

North

Packers - 9  Over

Vikings - 8.5 Over

Bears - 8 Push

Lions - 6.5  Under