General off-season discussion/plan thread

N4L

21 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not going to lie...I don't get the unabashed Taylor love at all. Okay niche, role player right now, but not really a guy that I'm even looking at bringing back after this year when the contract is up unless I have to (which may be the case, but still) 

I really like Taylor based on what he can do when healthy and also, naturally, you look at players like Welker/ Edelman and see how they were used, cant help but HOPE Taylor can be 'that guy'.

I have said this in another thread, but based off of how Jimmy favored him in the limited time together and that he was supposedly having the best camp of any WR, I cant help but be excited to see him fully healthy especially with how our offense has grown since Taylor's rookie year.

That being said, I completely understand your view, often injured and hasnt shown anything since his rookie year....im just a Homer and think he adds an element we dont have to the offense

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Also was hurt in 2018, no?

One of those situations where he was apparently playing through injury. Played 14 out of 16 games though.

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But again, the reason he's getting any sort of love is because Jimmy clearly favors him on 3rd downs. You are just mentioned the limited games sample, but in camp he was his favorite target. Now, Bourne showed up nicely on 3rd downs this season so maybe Taylor doesn't even make the team. Who knows, but he's fearless down the middle of the field and can make catches in traffic. Jimmy is an guy who likes to get it out quick and let the receiver make a play after the catch so it works with Taylor. To me he's not a game changer or anything, but at least someone Jimmy can rely on.

I mean, i get that he was a preferred target (though I don't care much about camp), but like how much is he actually going to do? LIS, he gets 5 yards a target, plays less than 50% of snaps most games. I mean, frankly, I don't want him to be a big part of the offense. IF he's getting the ball, that means Kittle, Deebo, any of our running backs aren't. Now, it's nice to have him be able to come in and make clutch plays, but I Don't think the offense is demonstrably worse or better with him in or out of the lineup. 

I agree with your final assessment...basically not a game changer, fine complimentary piece essentially. 

58 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

My guess is Robby Anderson has to take a one year deal. What would be the cost for him? 1 year 10 mil?  Might be cheaper.

More than I would have an interest in signing him for, to be honest. I still think the Dorsett signing makes sense if we are looking for a burner down the field. I think Demarcus Robinson is a free agent as well. I'm just not a huge fan of Robby Anderson, to be honest. Type of player I don't think that you should pay out for. Money is better spent in other areas. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Not going to lie...I don't get the unabashed Taylor love at all. Okay niche, role player right now, but not really a guy that I'm even looking at bringing back after this year when the contract is up unless I have to (which may be the case, but still) 

I mean...he has more career yards and receptions than Dante Pettis despite injury concerns. Who else can we be excited for?

Just now, y2lamanaki said:

I mean...he has more career yards and receptions than Dante Pettis despite injury concerns. Who else can we be excited for?

How soon we have all forgotten about the signing of Chris Thompson to a futures contract (no, not washington chris thompson, the other chris thompson for those who are confused) 

9 hours ago, Gravity said:

I like the Hyder signing. Pass rushers are good to have. Hopefully he can contribute something.

On another note we haven't brought back Sheldon Day.

I keep waiting for the Day re-signing. Little surprised it hasn't happened yet. With the Buckner trade, I thought it made more sense for both parties now than it did a couple of weeks ago. That being said, maybe we are going to do a lot of rotating in and out between ends and interior. You can get a little creative with this. Like, I like stacking Ford / Bosa, whichi s a move that the Chargers do with Bosa / Ingram. Our bosa would slide inside against a guard while ford is lined up wide in the 9 against the tackle. Creates a lot of room for Bosa. Also AA can play inside, and I think that is where we'd like to exclusively play Solly, so maybe the Day re-signing doesn't happen.