Green Bay Packers Salary Cap Thread

JBURGE

Positional Spending via OTC, offers some insight on where GB needs to add or trim spending.

https://overthecap.com/positional-spending/

Packers league rank in spending by position group:

2020    and     2021
QB           11                       2
RB           17                      32
WR          15                      11
TE             5  (22)               26
OL             5  (10)               28
Offense    5  (10)               11

DL               25                   24
LB                 4                      1
S                  11                     8
CB               23                   19
DEFENSE   21                     6

The ranks in (parentheses) are after removing Jimmy G and Lane T
Lots of moving parts, but its an interesting snapshot as we roll into the offseason

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

couple of quirks in the salary cap rules based on the end of the previous CBA. This will have an impact on how Clark's deal can be structured

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/26073422/nfl-cba-quirks-a-big-effect-2020-offseason

* Article 10 of the CBA stipulates that, in the Final League Year, teams are allowed to designate one franchise player and one transition player.

* In the Final League Year, there are no post-June 1 release designations.

* Article 13, Section 7 of the CBA (aka the 30 % rule) mandates that "no player contract extending into a season beyond the Final League Year may provide for an annual increase in salary ... of more than 30 percent of the salary provided for in the Final League Year, per year, either in the season after the Final League Year or in any subsequent season covered by the Player Contract."

The last one limits how small the Packers can make Kenny Clark's first year salary vs later years. GB typically pays out the signing bonus and a smaller year 1 salary, but doing so will limit how much salary GB can allocate in years 2-5. IF the new CBA is signed before March 20, then all of these rules are moot (and mute) 

Edited by Shanedorf

On 2/5/2020 at 6:30 PM, Shanedorf said:

Positional Spending via OTC, offers some insight on where GB needs to add or trim spending.

2020    and     2021

Lots of moving parts, but its an interesting snapshot as we roll into the offseason

LB is only so high because we pay AJ Hawk $4345432343454324235239875696590 per day.

• Like 2

On 2/5/2020 at 7:30 PM, Shanedorf said:

2020    and     2021

LB is so high because they count EDGE rushers. It would be more realistic if they separated those two. We're probably #1 at EDGE and #32 at ILB. Having said that I"m still not overpaying for Martinez to stay. 

• Like 2

On 2/3/2020 at 11:26 AM, JBURGE said:

At this point in my fandom, team building is my favourite thing to follow, and I'm increasingly interested in cap management. 

I am not going to be RashaanSalaami or whatever his name was and post graphs and excel docs because we have OTC and Spotrac, but maybe I will if people are interested enough. 

I'm starting this thread for people (myself included) to ask questions about our cap. Who we could restructure and how it would impact the cap, extensions, really anything. 

I'm prompted to make this because of the news about our cap space being appx $31m after Jimmy Graham and Lane Taylor cuts, along with $5m for the rookie pool. I think we all thought it would be closer to $45m when Rodgers' restructure was announced. 

I am not 100% certain on this, but when you look at Rodgers contract breakdown on Spotrac it is not updated for the amount he converted into a signing bonus in December. If we take the 14.76 and divide by 4, years left on contract we get 3.69 less that from the 14.76 and our roughly 22 million goes to 33 million less then if the incentives and such havent come off yet either. I think the last estimate that I saw that seems the closest is $28 million available right now, so the extra we paid in roster bonuses etc could have eaten up 5 million. 28 million with Graham and Taylor cuts would give us just north of 40 million. 

1 hour ago, rbens06 said:

when you look at Rodgers contract breakdown on Spotrac it is not updated for the amount he converted into a signing bonus in December.

Here's the numbers from OTC

"Rodgers restructured his contract on December 26, 2019. Per ESPN Rodgers converted $14.26 million of a 2020 roster bonus into a signing bonus in 2019. The move increased Rodgers 2019 salary cap charge by $2.852 million and decreased his cap charge by $11.408 million in 2020. "

They have 2020 cap at $ 21M and 2021 cap at $ 36 M

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-rodgers/1085/

Edited by Shanedorf

On 2/18/2020 at 10:37 AM, Shanedorf said:

"Rodgers restructured his contract on December 26, 2019. Per ESPN Rodgers converted $14.26 million of a 2020 roster bonus into a signing bonus in 2019. The move increased Rodgers 2019 salary cap charge by $2.852 million and decreased his cap charge by $11.408 million in 2020. "

Yep, my fault on the Spotrac one, they created a "restructured" column that allocates the bonus. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/18/2020 at 11:37 AM, Shanedorf said:

How do we know the 2021 cap space since the CBA expires after 2020 and there is no CBA for 2021?

16 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Would I be correct in saying that the Packers could realize 6 M in cap space by taking Z's 2020 roster bonus ($ 9 M )
And making it a signing bonus spread over 3 seasons ?

https://overthecap.com/player/zadarius-smith/3970/

Depends how you feel on buy now, pay later. Would leave his 2021 cap hit at close to 24m. Would also make the dead money on cutting him 16m I think. Unless you are going all-in sometimes its best to pay now.

Rationally speaking, given it would increase the cap hit for 2021 by 3m,  you would think that would mean we would want to carry over an extra 3m anyway to compensate.

On 2/3/2020 at 3:09 PM, CWood21 said:

Not calling you out, but this is something I've seen time and time again.  The savings here are minimal when you include the fact that you have to slot in a replacement (~500k) into the salary cap, so your real savings are closer to $0.3M rather than that nearly $1M that appears.  That's why players on rookie contracts aren't release for "cap savings".  They're released for numbers reasons.

True, the savings are minimal, but all that $ adds up and can be used on someone else.  If we needed about $1m more on a deal to sign someone of substances, then it does make sense.  Any and all freed up cap space helps.