2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

The funny thing is I didn’t even want a damn receiver. Just get a TE, sign Fuller, re-sign Flowers. That’s basically it and they couldn’t do any of that with the exception of Fuller with $60m to spend lol. If they sign Ebron I’ll be a little happier but they’ve pretty much shown zero interest in that so I don’t expect anything there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

As for the rest, the only player I’m really disappointed we haven't signed so far is Austin Hopper. I wanted him, but I surely didn't want to pay $11 plus million a year for him.

In fairness to them (and you), there haven’t been a TON of offensive players I really wanted. Would have liked to see them move more proactively after a LG after Flowers left, but I can’t say I would have given Graham Glasgow the contract he got from Denver, for example. 

But Hooper...I just don’t get it. And what really pissed me off was Keim, in his typical know it all way, with his whole “Hooper wasn’t a target. They liked him but NOT when they realized where the money was going.” What?? Getting into the $10-11M range? We just gave the same contract to a slot CB. How is that so out of bounds that you just give up on a consensus top 10 player (at age 25) at arguably our biggest position of need? He would have been a HUGE asset for Haskins — it just makes no sense to me. If he didn’t want to come here, okay. But why bow out before push even came to shove?

Oh well, what’s done is done. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, e16bball said:

In fairness to them (and you), there haven’t been a TON of offensive players I really wanted. Would have liked to see them move more proactively after a LG after Flowers left, but I can’t say I would have given Graham Glasgow the contract he got from Denver, for example. 

But Hooper...I just don’t get it. And what really pissed me off was Keim, in his typical know it all way, with his whole “Hooper wasn’t a target. They liked him but NOT when they realized where the money was going.” What?? Getting into the $10-11M range? We just gave the same contract to a slot CB. How is that so out of bounds that you just give up on a consensus top 10 player (at age 25) at arguably our biggest position of need? He would have been a HUGE asset for Haskins — it just makes no sense to me. If he didn’t want to come here, okay. But why bow out before push even came to shove?

Oh well, what’s done is done. 

This is literally what I just said to my friend (over the phone). We just paid Fuller $10M AAV. Hooper's not worth that???

1 minute ago, dante9876 said:

What's the guard situation now that flowers is gone?

Looks like it’ll be one of two Wes’s at LG across from Scherff at RG — either Wes Schweitzer, who we just signed for moderate money from ATL, or Wes Martin, who started a couple games in relief of Scherff last year and looked decent enough for a rookie. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Rivera's presence hasn't done that? I would think players would want to play for him. Bradberry and Boston are 2 former good player's under Rivera and you get nethier. They both fill a need. You missed out on Cooper. That money definitely could've been spent on Bradberry, Boston, and Fuller. 

Clearly it hasn’t done that. Whoever the coach is, these guys aren’t going to trust their careers to an organization that hasn’t shown any ability to further them at all in years. Ron is going to need to prove it. 
I don’t think they ever had a real shot at Cooper. He was using this org to drive his price up. It’s still early in FA. I’d like to see them make a run at either Ebron or Vannett. A guy like Damarious Randall or Sean Davis can help at FS. Not every signing has to be a top of the market guy

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

We’ve barely started free agency. I would think that our young WRs will only get better as will Guice & hopefully Love shows something too.

True it will mean less OTAs etc but oh well, what you gonna do. Nothin!

If we had signed Cooper, Hooper & Conklin it would hurt them bc they wouldn’t be able to practice with their new teammates and learn from their new coaches. Every free agent that’s going to a new team is on a level playing field as far as mini camps & OTAs being canceled or postponed.

Everyone is learning a new system. Those guys would've been right along with everyone else learning a new system being it's Rivera's 1st year as HC here. 

10 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Clearly it hasn’t done that. Whoever the coach is, these guys aren’t going to trust their careers to an organization that hasn’t shown any ability to further them at all in years. Ron is going to need to prove it. 
I don’t think they ever had a real shot at Cooper. He was using this org to drive his price up. It’s still early in FA. I’d like to see them make a run at either Ebron or Vannett. A guy like Damarious Randall or Sean Davis can help at FS. Not every signing has to be a top of the market guy

Bradberry and Boston where guys who played for Rivera. McDermott in Buffalo has I believe 4-5 players on his team from their SuperBowl roster. This might actually be telling us something about Rivera. 

Edited by Skins212689

Just now, Skins212689 said:

Bradberry and Boston where guys who played for Rivera. McDermott in Buffalo has I believe 4-5 players in his team from their SuperBowl roster. This might actually be telling us something about Rivera. 

Rivera was able to hire just about his entire staff from Carolina, that’s telling me his guys are loyal. In one day he signed Thomas Davis, who was the king of that Carolina locker room. Maybe  Bradberry just wanted to play in New York. Maybe Rivera/Del Rio are content with Kendall Fuller at a cheaper cost. There’s a million things that go into where these guys sign their 2nd contract. 

Random thoughts on a few posts:

Hooper- he’s a really good pass receiver and subpar blocker. Riverboat Ron always has had offenses where the TE is an above average blocker and receiver. They traded for Olsen to acquire his perfect TE.  We will either sign a stopgap like Vannett, draft one or trade for a TE. 

we went hard after Cooper, but he took less money to stay in Dallas. I’m glad we didn’t get and pay him so much. we are going to be a run first team, we have crazy Terry and a guy like Sims who could blossom and we need a really good or quality prospect at TE. There are a few in the draft. 

good pass rush makes corners better. With Chase and our other guys we will be ok at corner. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Fuller play the hybrid role he played at the end in KC where he was mostly at Free Safety with splitting time at corner when they went in Dime defenses. 

No brained to sign Old Man Davis. He’s a player coach on the field. Defense and special teams has always been the priority for Rivera. 

We wanted to keep Flowers but he wanted to go home. 

the Falcons LG is not a quality starter, but can be a good depth for the three interior positions. He’s bigger than our current interior depth. 

Franchising Scherff was a no brainer. 

the linebacker from Chicago is very good covering and an underrated player. Nice depth and nickel linebacker we finally have a LB who can cover a TE and or running back. 

We took a shot at a WR, didn’t get him and are building depth.

biggest disappointment so far was not signing the FB I wanted, Cleveland traded for him. 

it’s still early in free agency. The big names get paid and usually disappoint. I’ve seen that movie too many years here. The next two-three weeks we will see some players that can help us and some teams will cut good veterans for cap reasons. 

Bradberry is a zone corner, much like Josh Norman. From what I understand, JDR typically employs a more man-heavy coverage scheme — which would make sense with our personnel, because I consider Dunbar and Moreau to be better man coverage guys than zone. 

I think that’s probably why Rivera chose to pass on Bradberry, he knows all too well that Bradberry doesn’t really fit what they’re going to be doing on defense. 

1 hour ago, bigdog44 said:

Rivera was able to hire just about his entire staff from Carolina, that’s telling me his guys are loyal. In one day he signed Thomas Davis, who was the king of that Carolina locker room. Maybe  Bradberry just wanted to play in New York. Maybe Rivera/Del Rio are content with Kendall Fuller at a cheaper cost. There’s a million things that go into where these guys sign their 2nd contract. 

On the flip side, there was a reason that most of those guys were available as coaches, along with Rivera.  Their recent track record hasn't been great.  

6 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

A lot of overreaction in here. I’m not thrilled with the FA haul thus far, but let’s see how everything shakes out post draft before we crush anybody. No need to blow our cap space on overpaid under-performers.

That's fair. If we get a good haul of B players, that could be a good start.