2020 Free Agency Thread

HTTRDynasty

17 minutes ago, e16bball said:

I think the Redskins are the only ones who considered Kendall Fuller a “big fish.”

$10 million AAV counts as a big signing as far as I'm concerned.  That's someone who likely has more than a couple suitors and someone you have to keep up with.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

$10 million AAV counts as a big signing as far as I'm concerned.  That's someone who likely has more than a couple suitors and someone you have to keep up with.  

In today's market a 4 year $40 million deal is a mid-range FA signing. Big signings are those like they Byron Jones signed, 5 years, $82.5 million.

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

I think the Redskins are the only ones who considered Kendall Fuller a “big fish.”

I don't think the current Redskins FO - minus Snyder - or current Coaching staff really care if Kendall Fuller is a ”big fish” in anyone's opinion or not. He was one the guys they targeted and they got him, they're happy about that.

This is not the Vinny/Dan Skins or even the Bruce/Dan skins.

6 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That would be cool. But I am skeptical of it until I see him playing and playing well. Like the player hope he is still working on his personal things and I hope he does get his shot. That said I’ve seen this not work so many times to get anything into it. But for us and him I hope he is doing great in all facets of his life!!!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They certainly paid him like he was a pretty big fish. 

I just don’t think anyone else considered him to be a real top of the line FA, regardless of how the Redskins paid him. He wasn’t very good in Kansas City, and even though it seems like they may have to try to play him outside, he’s a slot CB. Those guys aren’t getting paid. Logan Ryan can’t get a contract and Chris Harris got 2/$17M, and though they’re older, they’re both clearly superior players at this point. Darqueze Dennard got 3/$13M from the Jags that he backed out of. Brian Poole got 1/$5M. Mack(ensie) Alexander got 1/$4M. 

If we find out there were other teams that had any interest in paying Kendall Fuller $10M/year on a long-term deal, I’ll gladly change my tune and consider it a big-time signing. But I think it was more a situation where we really wanted this particular player, for various reasons, and splashed the market with a Godfather offer in order to assure we got him. 

19 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don't think the current Redskins FO - minus Snyder - or current Coaching staff really care if Kendall Fuller is a ”big fish” in anyone's opinion or not. He was one the guys they targeted and they got him, they're happy about that.

This is not the Vinny/Dan Skins or even the Bruce/Dan skins.

They’re still the SnyderSkins though. 

I like Kendall Fuller. I think he’s a pretty good player. I wish we had never traded him. And I’m glad he’s back. 

And the Redskins know that I — as well as the vast majority of the rest of the fanbase — feel that way. It can’t come as a big surprise that everyone significant was beyond their price range — except for the guy who comes with the built-in narrative about how great he was here, about how upset he was to leave, about how much we hated losing him, and about how happy everyone is to be reunited. All’s well in the world again, we’re righting all those wrongs, don’t ya see?

So no, I don’t think they’re looking to make big splashes just for the sake of making big splashes (Vinny era). In fact, I think Snyder is pinching pennies these days. And no, I don’t think it’s Bruce era anymore either, as we didn’t pivot after missing Hooper and Cooper to give big contracts to some next-tier duo like Eifert and Robby Anderson. 

But Snyder is Snyder. There will always be an angle on everything. Kendall Fuller is a nice player — but I don’t believe they gave him $40M, when they wouldn’t pay up for anyone else, because of solely football reasons.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

They certainly paid him like he was a pretty big fish. 

I just don’t think anyone else considered him to be a real top of the line FA, regardless of how the Redskins paid him. He wasn’t very good in Kansas City, and even though it seems like they may have to try to play him outside, he’s a slot CB. Those guys aren’t getting paid. Logan Ryan can’t get a contract and Chris Harris got 2/$17M, and though they’re older, they’re both clearly superior players at this point. Darqueze Dennard got 3/$13M from the Jags that he backed out of. Brian Poole got 1/$5M. Mack(ensie) Alexander got 1/$4M. 

If we find out there were other teams that had any interest in paying Kendall Fuller $10M/year on a long-term deal, I’ll gladly change my tune and consider it a big-time signing. But I think it was more a situation where we really wanted this particular player, for various reasons, and splashed the market with a Godfather offer in order to assure we got him. 

They’re still the SnyderSkins though. 

I like Kendall Fuller. I think he’s a pretty good player. I wish we had never traded him. And I’m glad he’s back. 

And the Redskins know that I — as well as the vast majority of the rest of the fanbase — feel that way. It can’t come as a big surprise that everyone significant was beyond their price range — except for the guy who comes with the built-in narrative about how great he was here, about how upset he was to leave, about how much we hated losing him, and about how happy everyone is to be reunited. All’s well in the world again, we’re righting all those wrongs, don’t ya see?

So no, I don’t think they’re looking to make big splashes just for the sake of making big splashes (Vinny era). In fact, I think Snyder is pinching pennies these days. And no, I don’t think it’s Bruce era anymore either, as we didn’t pivot after missing Hooper and Cooper to give big contracts to some next-tier duo like Eifert and Robby Anderson. 

But Snyder is Snyder. There will always be an angle on everything. Kendall Fuller is a nice player — but I don’t believe they gave him $40M, when they wouldn’t pay up for anyone else, because of solely football reasons.

Wait what? We know they offered Cooper more then the Cowboys did. They wanted to pay for him, he turned them down.

They also were in the competition to get Hooper as well, he turned them down for the Browns.

They were willing to pay - for who they thought would make big differences for them.

When those two turned them down they decided to just go with guys that can help but not get tied into long term contracts w/ possible FA busts. Instead do short term contracts/prove it deals, build around & with your young talent that’s already here and then evaluate the roster & the entire organization this year.

Why we blaming them for being smart and seemingly having a plan to build a young competitive team over the next few years.

And of course one of the reasons they signed Kendall Fuller was bc of the fan support for him, his local ties & all of the Tech fans in the area but it was mainly bc he’s a good football player. We all wanted Fuller re-signed bc he's a good player - Kyle scouted him - and when he was last here he was the #1 rated slot corner in the NFL by pro football focus, and he played well in Kansas City as he was moved around between corner & FS and played well at FS when he played there for KC like in the Super Bowl.

Edited by turtle28

On 3/26/2020 at 3:15 PM, ovfd55 said:

Mark Ingram was a huge get for them last season not only from his help running but he really helped the culture and getting the team to think they could win,he also got Hollywood as a weapon and was in the 2nd season in that Offense.They also already had a solid Oline.

The left side of our Oline is a complete question mark at moment. Haskins is getting thrown into a new scheme with new coaches with no OTAs(as well as all 3 of the WRs and likley whomever wins starting TE job).

I'd take what Lamar had over what Haskins is going in with every day.

To me the only thing that shows Haskins could take next step is how he improved every start last season.I sure as hell hope he keeps doing that and balls out this year,but since this is a free agency thread I'll add we've done nothing to help him take that step its all on his shoulders.

Two players who may help Haskins next year take the next step are the TEs we signed.

1. Richard Rogers, he’s a steady Eddie veteran TE who’s also a pretty good blocker w/ good size. As the Packers fan said in Rogers’s thread that Rogers isn’t fast or really athletic but he gets open and catches the ball.

He had 50 catches & 8 TDs for the Packers in 2015 before they signed Jimmy Graham to start over him.

And yes, I realize that was 5 years ago, but he didn’t play a lot bc he was stuck behind Jimmy Graham in GB after that and then he went to Phila and was stuck behind Zach Ertz and Goddert.

Laat year Rogers hurt his foot too, went on IR and was released.

2. Logan Thomas has upside w/ athleticism and size but he needs to be more consistent, maybe they coach him up into a starting level player even if that’s just a serviceable player, that would be a what Sprinkle was last year too but Thomas has more athleticism.

Edited by turtle28

14 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Who’s down for a cam Phillips signing on a minimum deal? He was huge for the roughnecks. Local guy too 24y/o

For sure! @lavar703 & I we’re talking about that in the XFL Defenders thread the first few weeks of the XFL season.

I would think at the least he could make the team as one of the last players to make the roster and be a special teams guy.

• Like 1

On 3/30/2020 at 12:18 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

26:45 for the Hooper portion.  The word around the combine was that the offers were too rich for the Redskins, and they didn't offer that much money.  

Which may end up being the right move in the long run, time will tell I guess. I personally would’ve paid him more than the Browns to come here but, they didn't and that's that.

Also, I don't know how others feel, but I personally have no faith in these 3 reporters as them being accurate, credible and they're definitely not professional.

It's amazing NBCSportsWashington went from Chick Hernandez and guys like Rich Tandler (RIP) to the crap they have now. 

Edited by turtle28