Are you a believer that Gardner Minshew a legit NFL starting QB

brownie man

Are you a Minshew believer?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do

• Roll with Minshew he’s a starter
    • Trade up for a top QB this year
    • Try to draft QB later outside the first round

No. He’s a Top Tier Backup. People put wayyyyy too much stock in TD-INT Ratio.Jacoby Brissett is also a top tier backup, but absolutely 100% not a starter. These guys have  good TD-INT Ratios cause they are ridiculously conservative and YPA’s in the 6’s or 7.0, same thing. 

Edited by BayRaider

I like Minshew, think he deserves a fair shot. The Jags don’t better themselves by having Foles/Gardner battle it out all summer - they need to have a guy and let him get a strong hold on the offense. Doesn’t help how bad that offense was around them, either. 

As for Minshew’s ceiling, I don’t think he’ll ever be an elite guy but I think he could end up being a 12-16 QB if things fall the right way.

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

The fumbles are scary. I think he’s a starter, but in the 15-20 range.

Thats arguably borderline starter quality, because there are always around 8 to 12 teams that don't have a true capable starter.   

Minshew deserves a shot, but at this point, I think he is closer to a younger version of Ryan Fitzpatrick than a franchise QB.

• Like 3

Just start Foles.  People want to forget that Minshew’s play was tailing off badly at the time Foles returned from injury.  Marrone should have been fired for benching Foles and putting Minshew back in to end the season.

Foles is the one the organization made the commitment to — at least for one more season.  If he resembles Blake Bortles next season, then the Jags can be in the QB market in 2021.  Minshew is JAG

The Jaguars will be in the NFL cellar within 2 years the way they’re running things there

20 minutes ago, TDTimes said:

Just start Foles.  People want to forget that Minshew’s play was tailing off badly at the time Foles returned from injury.  Marrone should have been fired for benching Foles and putting Minshew back in to end the season.

Foles is the one the organization made the commitment to — at least for one more season.  If he resembles Blake Bortles next season, then the Jags can be in the QB market in 2021.  Minshew is JAG

The Jaguars will be in the NFL cellar within 2 years the way they’re running things there

How could they not bench Foles? He was playing poorly coming off the injury and if I remember it was following Minshew benching.

4 minutes ago, Classic said:

How could they not bench Foles? He was playing poorly coming off the injury and if I remember it was following Minshew benching.

I don’t think so.  The first two games he started on his return he was 33/47 and 32/48, only threw one INT in the 2 games combined.  

He certainly wasn’t playing as poorly as Minshew was.  Either way, benching your franchise QB in his 4th game of the season should have resulted in job loss for the head coach.  No matter which of them starts next season, they won’t win more than 3-4 games with Marrone there

25 minutes ago, TDTimes said:

Nick Foles is terrible. I’m almost certain he won’t take another snap with the Jags.

As for Minshew, see what he’s got in 2020 and go from there. If he sucks, take a QB in 2021 Draft. You have the ammo to move up if you need to.

This off-season they need to surround him with more weapons. Chark is a WR1 but after that, there isn’t much there. 

Hopefully Gruden can get the most out of Minshew. We should see more play action under Gruden and Minshew thrived in that aspect in 2019. 

Jags need to move a move for a TE in FA and grab him some help at WR in the Draft.

9 minutes ago, TDTimes said:

I don’t think so.  The first two games he started on his return he was 33/47 and 32/48, only threw one INT in the 2 games combined.  

He certainly wasn’t playing as poorly as Minshew was.  Either way, benching your franchise QB in his 4th game of the season should have resulted in job loss for the head coach.  No matter which of them starts next season, they won’t win more than 3-4 games with Marrone there

He did a nice job padding his stats I guess. I’ll give him that.