What Happened to the Bengals?

RandyMossIsBoss

1 hour ago, mcmurtry86 said:

Dalton has been awful, the coaching and playcakling is bad and they've lost a lot of talent over the past few years without successfully finding replacements

Also, Jeremy Hill isn't good but they give him the ball in big situations.

I for one have every confidence that The Orange-Haired Avenger will be back in form, soon!

Image result for Andy Dalton

Dalton is making errors that rookie QBs make when they see the bright lights of the NFL for the first time. Not progressing through reads, not noticing sitting defenders, ignoring check downs and throwing into unfavourable coverage. You can excuse a rookie, as long as he learns. Can you excuse a Vet? It almost certainly is no one else's fault (apart from whoever decided not to address the OL). I reckon he's shaken. He has a brutal offensive line (one of many teams with one) and he's seeing ghosts.

46 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

If you want to over simplify the blame:

• 60% - Offensive Line
  • 30% - Dalton regression
  • 10% - Everything else

I would argue that coaching should be a bigger influence.  Maybe 40% Oline, 30% Dalton, 30% everything else.

I can't imagine this offense imploding this badly with Hue calling the shots.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

I would argue that coaching should be a bigger influence.  Maybe 40% Oline, 30% Dalton, 30% everything else.

I can't imagine this offense imploding this badly with Hue calling the shots.

Why was the OL not addressed? Losing Whitworth and Zeitler should have been a massive, massive red flag. Redder than Dalton's hair.

17 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Why was the OL not addressed? Losing Whitworth and Zeitler should have been a massive, massive red flag. Redder than Dalton's hair.

To be fair this draft sucked for addressing the OLine.  Also they did see this coming and drafted Ogbeuhi and Fisher to plan for the future.  They just haven't worked out and the draft this year wouldn't have either.  Just have to bite the bullet and address the OLine next year (hopefully).  Also, I'm glad they didn't reach on OLine in this draft, because we got some absolute stud defensive players in Willis, Lawson, and Evans...

18 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It was addressed 2 years ago when they drafted Ogbeuhi in round 1 and Fisher in round 2. However neither player looked good in playing time, so instead of formulating a backup plan, they said well this is what we got, deal with it 

3 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

If you want to over simplify the blame:

• 60% - Offensive Line
  • 30% - Dalton regression
  • 10% - Everything else

The Offensive Line is #1.  Dalton as a result of knowing his protection is limited, has just regressed badly but still deserves blame because he can't hit targets even when there's not pressure now.

All the other issues (losing Sanu + Marvin Jones, Coaching, Coaching, and Coaching) would result in a slight regression but not to the extent that people are seeing now. Also, I should point out the Bengals look worst against elite defenses.  Which the Ravens and Texans have (especially the Ravens, good god). When we get to play against non-elite defenses I'm expecting a better showing than 'potential worst team in the NFL' output that we've displayed the first two weeks...

People keep talking about the OL, but how does that explain 2016? Wasn't it the same OL minus Andre Smith?

7 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Lost out 2 best olinemen to FA and the replacements have been garbage.  The OC for our first two games this year was in way over his head and shouldn't be anything other than a QB coach.  Burfict is the heart and soul of the defense and missed this first two games because of suspension.  The defense will be ok this year, but the offense is going to be a mess until the oline gets fixed and that isn't happening this year.  We have maybe 2 NFL worthy starting olinemen.  Possibly 1.

Pretty much this.  Ultimately, Andy Dalton is who we thought he was: A QB who can perform well when he's given solid protection and a running game effective enough to keep opposing teams from keying on shutting him down.  Subtract that line, as has happened, the running game suffers and he's not the kind of QB that can dig himself out of that hole by himself... and the team suffers by effect.

They lost a boatload of talent and didnt do much outside of the draft to replace it back up to the level it was at. That and Dalton operated so much better with Hue Jackson calling the offense. He seemed more comfortable and he knew exactly how to run it. Dalton looks somewhat confused and overthinking right now with the playcalling.

13 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

It was addressed 2 years ago when they drafted Ogbeuhi in round 1 and Fisher in round 2. However neither player looked good in playing time, so instead of formulating a backup plan, they said well this is what we got, deal with it 

Fair enough. OL talent simply has not been there in recent drafts, to be fair.

17 hours ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

People keep talking about the OL, but how does that explain 2016? Wasn't it the same OL minus Andre Smith?

Our best lineman, Andrew Whitworth is now on the Rams, and our second best lineman, Kevin Zeitler is now a Brown.  Cedric Ogbuehi has been a dumpster fire at LT.   Jake Fisher has shown a little bit of promise at RT, but he's still too weak at the point of attack and is below average with some hope he may be a solid NFL player in time.  Our C Russell Bodine has sucked for years, and the Bengals terrible oline coach Paul Alexander can't put together a line unless it's all 1st and 2nd rd picks.  Our LG Clint Boling is solid.  Some think he is above average, but I'd probably put him in the average category.  That he isn't terrible stands out on our line.  RG is another dumpster fire as the lower round draft picks we tried to replace Zeitler with have been bad.   The biggest problem is that the Bengals are just bad at scouting and drafting linemen.  Nearly all of our successes come from top 40 picks and we've let guys go who have been good elsewhere.

42 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Our best lineman, Andrew Whitworth is now on the Rams, and our second best lineman, Kevin Zeitler is now a Brown.  Cedric Ogbuehi has been a dumpster fire at LT.   Jake Fisher has shown a little bit of promise at RT, but he's still too weak at the point of attack and is below average with some hope he may be a solid NFL player in time.  Our C Russell Bodine has sucked for years, and the Bengals terrible oline coach Paul Alexander can't put together a line unless it's all 1st and 2nd rd picks.  Our LG Clint Boling is solid.  Some think he is above average, but I'd probably put him in the average category.  That he isn't terrible stands out on our line.  RG is another dumpster fire as the lower round draft picks we tried to replace Zeitler with have been bad.   The biggest problem is that the Bengals are just bad at scouting and drafting linemen.  Nearly all of our successes come from top 40 picks and we've let guys go who have been good elsewhere.

I'm talking about last season, when they still had the same OL as in 2015 minus Andre Smith. I can see now how they have a makeshift OL that is struggling to keep Dalton upright, but what about in 2016?

2 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

I'm talking about last season, when they still had the same OL as in 2015 minus Andre Smith. I can see now how they have a makeshift OL that is struggling to keep Dalton upright, but what about in 2016?

Ah, gotcha.  Last year was an average team with some injury trouble and trouble finishing games as they lost 4 games by 4 points or less and tied another game.  Some better luck and a few less key injuries and they could have been a 10-11 win team vs 6-9-1.   This year the defense is still there, but the offense has been a dumpster fire.  Worst oline in the league and regression from the QB.

Archived