Everson Griffin Voids Final 3 Years of Deal

The Gnat

This whole situation reminds me of the B-Rob one when almost everyone in here was freaking out saying he wouldn't succeed as the full time starter.  IMO Odenigbo should have every opportunity to win the starting job.  I have no problem bringing back Griffen but it'd have to be at a very reduced rate.  I would however like to see another mid round prospect brought in possibly Curtis Weaver to also compete.  

• Like 1

I actually think this is a way for the Vikes to get cap relief and bring Griffen back on a more team-friendly deal.  By voiding the contract, the team doesn’t take a hit against the cap, and restructuring would have required them to press money into the future. I bet we see a large signing bonus that doesn’t hit the cap and a low guaranteed base salary. 

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I actually think this is a way for the Vikes to get cap relief and bring Griffen back on a more team-friendly deal.  By voiding the contract, the team doesn’t take a hit against the cap, and restructuring would have required them to press money into the future. I bet we see a large signing bonus that doesn’t hit the cap and a low guaranteed base salary. 

I can’t tell based on your wording but it was Griffen that voided the contract not the Vikings. 

Signing bonuses hit the cap, they’re just spread out equally over the term of the deal. 

19 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Good question. I believe we would since we didn’t cut him. 

There is so much that goes into whether we get a compensatory pick for a player that it is not possible to know at this time whether the Vikings would get a compensatory pick if Everson Griffen signs somewhere else.

However, if the questions is whether Everson Griffen would be considered a compensatory free agent, that is a free agent that counts in the compensatory formula, after voiding his deal the answer can be more clear. Yes, Everson Griffen will count as a compensatory free agent since he voided his deal.

Whatever happens with Griffen will be factored into the compensatory formula just as if he had an expiring contract.

21 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

There is so much that goes into whether we get a compensatory pick for a player that it is not possible to know at this time whether the Vikings would get a compensatory pick if Everson Griffen signs somewhere else.

However, if the questions is whether Everson Griffen would be considered a compensatory free agent, that is a free agent that counts in the compensatory formula, after voiding his deal the answer can be more clear. Yes, Everson Griffen will count as a compensatory free agent since he voided his deal.

Whatever happens with Griffen will be factored into the compensatory formula just as if he had an expiring contract.

Right. Obviously everything depends on FAs gained and lost as well as the contracts said FAs sign. 

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

I can’t tell based on your wording but it was Griffen that voided the contract not the Vikings. 

Signing bonuses hit the cap, they’re just spread out equally over the term of the deal. 

I meant Everson. If the team voided (cut him), they would have been responsible for dead money over the final 3 years. 

15 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I like Odenigbo a lot.

I think regardless what happens we spend a mid round pick at DE again. That position is our golden standard.

yeah we will most likely trade back and collect extra picks, we have allot of areas to address and no money for FA

• Like 1

Diggs could be next to go, curious what they could get for him in a trade.  

That could open up some interesting possibilities with the 1st round pick, if a OG or OT is not around they like, WR could be in play if Diggs is gone.  Could get great value in guys like Shenault, Justin Jefferson, Lynn Bowden or Jalen Reagor. 

Odenigbo I like, but didn't he get 1/2 or 1/3rd of the sack production from the DT spot in pass rush situations?  Not sure he is athletic enough to be a full time DE but will see, at least he was very productive last year and could take that next step into being a starter this up coming season.  Would need to draft a DE in the draft 2nd or 3rd round for a decent one.  

Or even better wait till the 2nd or 3rd and go for these guys who are very good as well and provide some much needed size like Shenault would, Antonio Gandy-Golden , Denzel Mims or Michael Pittman Jr.

Would be good to get rid of the distraction and attitude of Diggs I feel, too erratic on the sidelines and in the locker room.  

Edited by Ozzy