Pace and Nagy Press Conference

WindyCity

7 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm sure this will come off as nitpicky, but the Bears do not play in the "cold for half of their games or more." Come on now

I wasn’t saying the Bears do. I was saying that NO plays at bare minimum 9 dome games (their home games and @ATL) plus road games in Tampa and Charlotte every season. Re-reading what I wrote I can see how you read it the other way though. My bad.

I’d estimate the Bears are probably good for 5-6 games sub-45 degrees at game time in any given year, thinking all Nov/Dec home games, maybe late Oct home games (esp. night games), GB road games played in the 2nd half of the season, and playing 2 road games against teams from the AFC North and/or either of the East divisions most seasons (which have no domes), some of which are bound to be later in the season.

18 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If you are actively trying to replace him, I would expect you to be a little less committal in your comments. Why the deception? Why the concern with Mitch's feelings?

Because nothing either Pace or Nagy have said so far tells anyone they are ACTIVELY looking to replace Mitch.  You don't state that in public or even strongly imply it unless you want to intentionally start rumors and a potential QB controversy.  That wouldn't be wise.

What they are saying is; A) they aren't satisfied with Mitch's performance, B) he needs to improve, C) they are bringing in competition for the #1 QB position.  None of those statements are unqualified votes of confidence.  All are voiced as concerns and also as a warning to Mitch that his starting job in 2020 is anything but 100% secure as it was prior to the 2019 season.  Things HAVE changed.

And to repeat.  He's currently the ONLY QB we have so unless he was never a starter before period and you believe he could never in his career ever be a starter you would not publicly announce that you were shopping for a #1 QB because you do have one now.  If Mitch was not here and it was Chase Daniel you were replacing then you might just as well announce it publicly because everyone knows it anyway.

Edited by soulman

7 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I wasn’t saying the Bears do. I was saying that NO plays at bare minimum 9 dome games (their home games and @ATL) plus road games in Tampa and Charlotte every season. Re-reading what I wrote I can see how you read it the other way though. My bad.

I’d estimate the Bears are probably good for 5-6 games sub-45 degrees at game time in any given year, thinking all Nov/Dec home games, maybe late Oct home games (esp. night games), GB road games played in the 2nd half of the season, and playing 2 road games against teams from the AFC North and/or either of the East divisions most seasons (which have no domes), some of which are bound to be later in the season.

Last year the Bears played in 1 game where the kickoff temperature was under 40 degrees

19 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

I totally agree with that. The Mariotas, Daltons and Keenums should be all over our job. I just think those higher on the list than that can and will look for a better situation.

Even with potential 2020 availability, is Chicago a better landing spot than QB2 in NO long term for instance? They have all-world skill talent that’s super young, a great offensive mind at HC and don’t have to play in the cold for half their games or more. I’d argue being the heir apparent to Brady may be probably a better gig too because of BB. I’m not saying the others are better options for sure, but they might be depending on the player goals. Dalton for instance has made a crap ton of money - he may be more content to chase a ring even as a backup if it’s for comparable money. 

I agree about NO for reasons you stated especially being indoors and a having a good O coach.  Great place to have a nice career if you can win the job.

I think NE is a bit more iffy.  They don’t have a lot of offensive talent and BB could retire abruptly at any time.   I think when he does there will be no warning.  He is just going to walk away quickly and be done.  I think he will do it at end of a season though and not just before.

I think as evidenced by a lot of his successors that running a program his way isn’t that easy to replicate with someone else doing it.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

In a different interview Nagy was asked about Whitehair and Daniels... said that he wants to keep Whitehair at C and Daniels at G.

I'm good with it... now just leave it the **** alone.

That was such a disaster last year. Daniels is a better OG, that is what the film shows and just leave him alone and let him develop.

Well we at least have an answer to how willing Nagy is to adapt to his players as opposed to asking them to adapt to him.

3. Nagy is willing to change the scheme to improve offense

usatsi_13579039.jpg?w=1000&h=631

Mike DiNovo-USA TODAY Sports

One of the criticisms with Nagy’s play-calling last season centered around whether or not he was forcing his players to adapt to his scheme rather than adapt his scheme to his players. It was something that Nagy was quite open about when talking to the media. When asked if he would be open to changing his scheme to better fit his players, Nagy said it was “absolutely” something he would do.

After two years of watching his players in this offense, Nagy has a better understanding of his players do well and where they struggled. Nagy acknowledged that “it’s not fair to force them into something that I do.” So this offseason will be about adapting his offense to fit these players particular strengths and weaknesses and giving everyone a chance to succeed.

26 minutes ago, G08 said:

In a different interview Nagy was asked about Whitehair and Daniels... said that he wants to keep Whitehair at C and Daniels at G.

I'm good with it... now just leave it the **** alone.

I think it's the correct decision.  Daniels and the offense would seem to benefit more from his quickness and athleticism at OG where he can also pull and take on second level blocks on LBs.  He's far more of a finesse guy for a zone scheme than a power guy in a man on man scheme.  Whitehair seems to be able to handle power NTs better at OC, knows the line calls, and from the start has been identified more as a natural OC.  I think he's more the smarter farm boy strong lunch bucket type that do make good OCs.

20 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

https://megaphone.link/VMP6157620752

Bill Zimmermann's reaction to... the reaction of Bears twitter about Pace's presser. Generally he thinks it's crazy to think the Bears are committed to Trubisky as the starter, he prefers a trade for Carr, thinks Dalton is likely option and not bad 

It's getting to the point where all media opinions should be required to have a practicality rating from 1-10.  LOL

Unless Pace and Nagy are willing to wash their hands of Mitch AND Gruden is willing to call it quits with Carr even without Tom Brady or another of his choice securely in the fold it seems to me this one gets a 2-3 on the practicality scale.  There are some things to like about Carr one being his TD/Int ratio and other being his contract which isn't bad averaging about $19.5 mil per year through 2022 with very little of it gtd.  So there's your starter for the next three years of your Super Bowl window.  But if a trade was possible what would Oakland take?

Then what do you do with Mitch after 2020 when his gtd $$$ runs out? Do you try to keep him as a #2 and keep hoping he finds his path or do you just say buh bye and admit he's not "the guy"?  But no matter what he gonna be here in 2020 still playing under his fully gtd  rookie contract which means coming up with another $19 mil from somewhere to pay Carr.  All in all I think it's kind of "pie in the sky" to believe this kind of a deal would work if for no other reason than a lack of cap space unless we can somehow revise Carr's deal.

We would have similar cap issues with Dalton if we traded for him but Cincy may be willing to work something out on that score in exchange for a draft pick vs releasing him and getting nothing of value in return.  I'm not sure exactly where to place this one on the practicality scale because it may have more moving parts but it's gotta be higher than 2-3.  Dalton isn't a bad QB either when he has a decent team around him.  If Pace and Nagy still hold hopes for Mitch I'd say Dalton is a more practical alternative.

49 minutes ago, RunningVaccs said:

https://megaphone.link/VMP6157620752

Bill Zimmermann's reaction to... the reaction of Bears twitter about Pace's presser. Generally he thinks it's crazy to think the Bears are committed to Trubisky as the starter, he prefers a trade for Carr, thinks Dalton is likely option and not bad 

I almost hope that Pace is not lying so that some of these guys have to walk back these takes.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Last year the Bears played in 1 game where the kickoff temperature was under 40 degrees

Again, that wasn’t my point, but even at that you don’t think that’s a significant anomaly? Do you not agree that NO will by and large play in significantly more appealing game day conditions than the Bears do? 

6 minutes ago, soulman said:

It's getting to the point where all media opinions should be required to have a practicality rating from 1-10.  LOL

Unless Pace and Nagy are willing to wash their hands of Mitch AND Gruden is willing to call it quits with Carr even without Tom Brady or another of his choice securely in the fold it seems to me this one gets a 2-3 on the practicality scale.  There are some things to like about Carr one being his TD/Int ratio and other being his contract which isn't bad averaging about $19.5 mil per year through 2022 with very little of it gtd.  So there's your starter for the next three years of your Super Bowl window.  But if a trade was possible what would Oakland take?

Then what do you do with Mitch after 2020 when his gtd $$$ runs out? Do you try to keep him as a #2 and keep hoping he finds his path or do you just say buh bye and admit he's not "the guy"?  But no matter what he gonna be here in 2020 still playing under his fully gtd  rookie contract which means coming up with another $19 mil from somewhere to pay Carr.  All in all I think it's kind of "pie in the sky" to believe this kind of a deal would work if for no other reason than a lack of cap space unless we can somehow revise Carr's deal.

We would have similar cap issues with Dalton if we traded for him but Cincy may be willing to work something out on that score in exchange for a draft pick vs releasing him and getting nothing of value in return.  I'm not sure exactly where to place this one on the practicality scale because it may have more moving parts but it's gotta be higher than 2-3.  Dalton isn't a bad QB either when he has a decent team around him.  If Pace and Nagy still hold hopes for Mitch I'd say Dalton is a more practical alternative.

Even if we had the $19M to take on Carr I’d rather spend it on a capable plan B QB and either an elite playmaker elsewhere or a stud OL player.  

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Even if we had the $19M to take on Carr I’d rather spend it on a capable plan B QB and either an elite playmaker elsewhere or a stud OL player.  

Give me the consistency and efficiency executing the offense. 

Even if Carr just maximizes what the offensive system creates that is a huge upgrade for the Bears.

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Carr deal either although I guess we should know by now that if there's a QB out there for sale or rent his name will come up on someone's list and/or blog as a rumored interest or trade.

I'm by no means sold on Mitch but with a capable Plan B who can push him all summer long and even push him out of Mitch fails to progress again in 2020 I'm willing to give him one more swing at the pitch.

Of course what we think amounts to nothing.  I don't believe Pace or Nagy are lying about their support for Mitch either but it's no longer an unconditional love.  He has to start producing from the get go game one..