Pace and Nagy Press Conference

WindyCity

19 minutes ago, chisoxguy7 said:

We may be forced to choose between Mariota and Dalton. Slim chance of maybe Tannehill if Brady ends up there.

I would say odds are Keenum heads to Denver to reunite with Shurmur, under whom he had the best production of his career.

If I was Keenum I'd rather go to a place I could play, and that won't happen with the Broncos. Lock is the guy in Denver

If Pace TRADES for Dalton or Carr he should be fired immediately.

If one of them is released, then by all means, go out and grab them, but I'm absolutely opposed to giving up any of our already limited draft capital for a guy who at best a placeholder QB while we then have to try and jockey around to draft someone who can actually carry us forward.

• Like 2

If the cost of a trade for Dalton is one of the two 5th or 6th round picks we have why would anyone strenuously object to that provided we can make the right kind of money/cap deal?  Who would we draft that late who might be more valuable in 2020 than a very capable QB with extensive experience as an NFL starter and some very good numbers under his belt.  If Cincy wants more then maybe it's a 2021 mid round pick or it's a 2021 conditional pick based on how much Dalton plays.

I believe Windy's take on him is correct.  On a list of guys who could come in not to immediately replace Mitch but rather to both compete AND have the ability to send him to the bench should he keep struggling then Dalton or someone very much like him is pretty much at the top of that list and I don't see anything wrong with at least pursuing it.  A trade also means we get him on our own terms and not in a free agency competition with whoever else may also like to sign him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soulman said:

If the cost of a trade for Dalton is one of the two 5th or 6th round picks we have why would anyone strenuously object to that provided we can make the right kind of money/cap deal?  Who would we draft that late who might be more valuable in 2020 than a very capable QB with extensive experience as an NFL starter and some very good numbers under his belt.  If Cincy wants more then maybe it's a 2021 mid round pick or it's a 2021 conditional pick based on how much Dalton plays.

I believe Windy's take on him is correct.  On a list of guys who could come in not to immediately replace Mitch but rather to both compete AND have the ability to send him to the bench should he keep struggling then Dalton or someone very much like him is pretty much at the top of that list and I don't see anything wrong with at least pursuing it.  A trade also means we get him on our own terms and not in a free agency competition with whoever else may also like to sign him.

The Bears only have one 5 this year, not two.

But I agree. If they do trade for him his contract would have to be restructured. 

I think Trubisky would start week 1-4, maybe 5 or 6, and then Dalton would take over ultimately.

12 hours ago, Epyon said:

If Pace TRADES for Dalton or Carr he should be fired immediately.

If one of them is released, then by all means, go out and grab them, but I'm absolutely opposed to giving up any of our already limited draft capital for a guy who at best a placeholder QB while we then have to try and jockey around to draft someone who can actually carry us forward.

Correction.  If he trades anything higher than a 4th for either one of those guys and their salaries are not restructured down by a lot then he deserves to be fired on the spot.

54 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

The Bears only have one 5 this year, not two.

But I agree. If they do trade for him his contract would have to be restructured. 

I think Trubisky would start week 1-4, maybe 5 or 6, and then Dalton would take over ultimately.

Here's what I'm seeing and why I think we have two.  The 5th is from Oakland and the Mack trade.  I think we have a pretty good shot at getting a 4th round compensatory pick for losing Amos as well but those haven't been announced yet.  There's also a possibility of offering  2021 conditional pick that may end up being higher based on Dalton's playing time.  Lot's of possibilities.

2020 draft picks: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-draft-chicago-bears-team-needs-draft-picks-prospects-to-track/

• Round 1: None
  • Round 2: Oakland, Chicago
  • Round 3: None
  • Round 4: None
  • Round 5: Oakland, Chicago
  • Round 6: Chicago, Philadelphia
  • Round 7: Chicago

I don't see a way to make a trade for Dalton work unless we can get some significant  cap relief from Cincy at a bare minimum.  I think it would also make sense to extend him but Pace may decide to wait on that.  There's just no sure way of knowing what direction he may take but we may want to at least weed out those QBs who would have zero chance on coming to Chicago as long as Mitch is still seen as the starter.

At the very least that should be; Brady, Brees, Rivers, Bridgewater, Carr (if released or offered in trade), Winston, Tannehill, Prescott.  Am I missing anyone?

If you look over whoever is left it's not very promising if the objective is to sign a well established vet whose had success as a starter.  Mariota and Keenum would most likely head that list.  Keenum may be a notch above Daniel but that's about it and unless they want to bank on Mariota's resurrection under Defilippo it seems to me Dalton would be a better bet than either of them.  It just gonna take some work to get a deal done is all.

Like others I wish it hadn't come down to this but at least for 2020 IMHO we have no chance of replacing Mitch with a top shelf rookie so we go with him for now and a capable backup should he fail even with that threat hanging over him and we kick the can down the road 'til 2021 when we have out 1st round pick back again.  If we see a good prospect for a 3rd QB we can develop we have enough 2020 picks to use one of the later ones on him as well.

Edited by soulman

20 minutes ago, soulman said:

Here's what I'm seeing and why I think we have two.  The 5th is from Oakland and the Mack trade.  I think we have a pretty good shot at getting a 4th round compensatory pick for losing Amos as well but those haven't been announced yet.  There's also a possibility of offering  2021 conditional pick that may end up being higher based on Dalton's playing time.  Lot's of possibilities.

2020 draft picks: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-draft-chicago-bears-team-needs-draft-picks-prospects-to-track/

• Round 1: None
  • Round 2: Oakland, Chicago
  • Round 3: None
  • Round 4: None
  • Round 5: Oakland, Chicago
  • Round 6: Chicago, Philadelphia
  • Round 7: Chicago

I don't see a way to make a trade for Dalton work unless we can get some significant  cap relief from Cincy at a bare minimum.  I think it would also make sense to extend him but Pace may decide to wait on that.  There's just no sure way of knowing what direction he may take but we may want to at least weed out those QBs who would have zero chance on coming to Chicago as long as Mitch is still seen as the starter.

At the very least that should be; Brady, Brees, Rivers, Bridgewater, Carr (if released or offered in trade), Winston, Tannehill, Prescott.  Am I missing anyone?

If you look over whoever is left it's not very promising if the objective is to sign a well established vet whose had success as a starter.  Mariota and Keenum would most likely head that list.  Keenum may be a notch above Daniel but that's about it and unless they want to bank on Mariota's resurrection under Defilippo it seems to me Dalton would be a better bet than either of them.  It just gonna take some work to get a deal done is all.

Like others I wish it hadn't come down to this but at least for 2020 IMHO we have no chance of replacing Mitch with a top shelf rookie so we go with him for now and a capable backup should he fail even with that threat hanging over him and we kick the can down the road 'til 2021 when we have out 1st round pick back again.  If we see a good prospect for a 3rd QB we can develop we have enough 2020 picks to use one of the later ones on him as well.

Multiple sources have reported the Mack pick will be in the 7th, not the 5th we all anticipated. I hope you're right, but unfortunately it's nor looking good. You're spot on with the 4th for Amos

@VicTafur
· 16h 1/16/2020
For your draft boards at home: #Raiders gave a conditional 5th to #Bears that became at 7th. Raiders have 7 picks: 2 in 1st round 3 in 3rd round 1 in 4th round 1 in 5th round

Edited by beardown3231

19 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Correction.  If he trades anything higher than a 4th for either one of those guys and their salaries are not restructured down by a lot then he deserves to be fired on the spot.

It's pretty much because of the cap cost some of these QBs carry that their trade value to others is as low as it is.  Maybe for the first time we're seeing teams shopping and even release starting caliber QBs because they haven't played to the level of their deals.

If you look at the projected MV of the top FA QBs it ranges from $20-$30 mil and Brees and Brady are both over $33 mil.  How many others do you have to release or FA do you have to pass on because your QB has a $30 mil cap hit?

With so many starters now getting $20 mil AAV and upward on second contracts we may begin to see even more movement in the future as teams begin to rely more on guys on rookie deals hoping they ascend.  Mitch may be a classic case of what happens if you fail.  There will be no big dollar second contract and you'll end up playing for a backups salary trying to make a comeback somewhere and regain a starters spot again ala Teddy Bridgewater.

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

@VicTafur
· 16h 1/16/2020
For your draft boards at home: #Raiders gave a conditional 5th to #Bears that became at 7th. Raiders have 7 picks: 2 in 1st round 3 in 3rd round 1 in 4th round 1 in 5th round

Hadn't seen that yet so thanks.

Cincy is in another rebuilding mode now so for them it may actually be wiser to accept a conditional 2021 pick on some kind of a sliding scale but if we're getting a 4th for Amos I'd have no problem giving Cincy our 5th if that got a deal done that we could work into our cap.

I truly believe Cincy will at least try to get something for Dalton just as we did for Howard but I don't think it will even be as high as 3rd in this draft.  I think they're looking at a Day 3 pick and how high may depend upon how much of Dalton's deal they're willing to eat.

All we can do with Dalton or anyone else we might focus on is make the best offer we can and see where it takes us.  I have no idea whether it's gonna work out or not.  All I've done is try to boil it down to the most likely prospects based on what we know now.

• Like 1