Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

mission27

Our church is making a decision by 12:00 noon today EST about services. In my opinion, I think that they'd be smart to either cancel or just livestream the sermon. We have 3-4 services and 800-900 people in a close proximity on a Sunday morning, with several kids ministries, etc. I know that churches are exempted from the governor's 100 people or less mandate under the 1st Amendment, but I think that there is a wisdom issue to consider here.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Our church is making a decision by 12:00 noon today EST about services. In my opinion, I think that they'd be smart to either cancel or just livestream the sermon. We have 3-4 services and 800-900 people in a close proximity on a Sunday morning, with several kids ministries, etc. I know that churches are exempted from the governor's 100 people or less mandate under the 1st Amendment, but I think that there is a wisdom issue to consider here.

Yeah i'm waiting for my church to announce something too.  They have the technology to live stream it, but have always avoided it (except in extreme circumstances) because they feel like it erodes the community feel.

Still, in the wake of the last 48 hours, continuing as normal sounds a little foolish.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

Over there?

The answer is men with guns right?

The ones with the badges? There’s not enough of them.

The ones without? I don’t know how much they’re going to be into the gov telling them where they can and can’t travel throughout the country.

Edited by Dome

47 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

My church (which is maybe 100+ on Easter) is not cancelling services, but asking people to make best judgements. My pastor called me and told me to keep distance, simply for the kids' sake.

Push comes to shove, we'll livestream a service.

My mom, on the other hand - she goes to an Indian church (250+) and she's not letting anything get in the way of going. Her church is also telling everyone to come (because God forbid you interrupt the collection plates). She's in that age range where you have to worry, so my sister and I are figuring out how to best handle this situation.

Joel Osteen has cancelled services, but he'll find a way to make a tidy sum off of this....

Church services is something I hadn’t considered. 

There’s a large portion of religious folk who are sure to think they’re immune or that god has already decided they’ll get it or not. They’ll keep going to church.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

To be fair, that conversation had nothing to do with Coronavirus.

I successfully blocked their restraining order back in 2013, so we've been past that conversation for months.

1 minute ago, Dome said:

Church services is something I hadn’t considered. 

There’s a large portion of religious folk who are sure to think they’re immune or that god has already decided they’ll get it or not. They’ll keep going to church.

That's...presumptuous.  And maybe a little insulting.  Probably correct in some cases, but i can tell you that that'd be a small percentage in my church community.  Not all Christians are Calvinists.  

Maybe it's best not to go there...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I successfully blocked their restraining order back in 2013, so we've been past that conversation for months.

I’m assuming this means you beat the charges as well.

Congrats man, I never heard for sure. Happy for you now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dome said:

I’m assuming this means you beat the charges as well.

Congrats man, I never heard for sure. Happy for you now.

No, no, didn't beat the charges. Did successfully argue that a baseball bat is not a lethal weapon when used with batting gloves and a knee brace - so the restraining order was lifted. 

8 minutes ago, theJ said:

That's...presumptuous.  And maybe a little insulting.  Probably correct in some cases, but i can tell you that that'd be a small percentage in my church community.  Not all Christians are Calvinists.  

FWIW I was in the church for the first 18 years of my life. So I’m not coming at this blindly.

I’m also not presuming anything, just connecting the dots on what I saw being part of 3-4 different churches, none that would be considered extremists of any sort.

This mindset wasn’t uncommon at all.

Its a small percentage of your church, sure. And a small percentage of someone else’s church, and maybe a average portion of someone else’s church and so on and so forth. That turns into a lot of people in this country who are still meeting up in a community setting once or more a week.

There will be (as ET already eluded too) pressure you get people in the seats. You’ll get shamed for not having enough faith if you don’t go (whether subtly or not subtly, it absolutely happens), especially if you’re old and had the faith your whole life.

Im not even talking about religion here, just what happens in church communities.  But we can drop it.

Edited by Dome

9 minutes ago, theJ said:

Even then, not all ‘Calvinists’ would fit that type of stereotype. 

• Like 1

The Overreaction Paradox:

When the result of taking effective action is that nothing happens, which makes your effort seem unnecessary and like an overreaction even if it was the right thing to do.

• Like 1