Wuhan Coronavirus Thread

mission27

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

That's to make it really, really, really, really easy for anyone who can count to 1,500 and isn't RB colorblind to see how similar the progression is.

If you can't see how a two-week difference in starting date undermines the progression comparison, along with stark demographic and difference in population numbers, I don't know what to tell you. 

1 minute ago, Tetsujin said:

If you can't see how a two-week difference in starting date undermines the progression comparison, along with stark demographic and difference in population numbers, I don't know what to tell you. 

I think we all understand what the chart is trying to tell us.  Please tell us why the chart is wrong.

1 minute ago, Tetsujin said:

Nobody saying it's "wrong". I'm saying it's useless for multiple reasons.

I don’t think the dense population is all that valid tbh.

We have lots of wide open land and a huge country comparatively, it’s gonna be less densely populated statistically.  

That said, are our big cities and suburbs, you know, where the majority of the population lives, any less dense?  Or so less dense it’s actually meaningful?  Idk man...

The good news is we have the data missing from the chart and we are actually trending lower than Italy now. 

Italy 3/1 - 1,694

Italy 3/2 - 2,036

U.S. 3/12 - 1,281

U.S. 3/13 - 1,683

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

My church (which is maybe 100+ on Easter) is not cancelling services, but asking people to make best judgements. My pastor called me and told me to keep distance, simply for the kids' sake.

And now, we're cancelling services for the foreseeable future. One of our members is a Hematologist at Baylor College of Medicine - she strongly suggested we cancel. 

So, my Sunday is free now.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think the dense population is all that valid tbh.

We have lots of wide open land and a huge country comparatively, it’s gonna be less densely populated statistically.  

That said, are our big cities and suburbs, you know, where the majority of the population lives, any less dense?  Or so less dense it’s actually meaningful?  Idk man...

And, you know, the country with the denser population is on lockdown while we have people still traveling. 

Population density is a proxy for "encounter rate", basically. How often you would run into other people and be able to expose them. We've seen the R0 value stay really consistent regardless of the size of the population or the density, everything progressed exponentially.

Ironically enough, the very chart that the progression in the US and Italy that he's criticizing is actual evidence that all of the factors he's spouting off are not relevant.

• Like 2