Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Why so eager to get rid of him? Didn’t play in ‘18. Well Gregggg Williams didn’t really believe in playing depth defensive lineman. ‘19 actually sees some playing time the last quarter of the season because of injuries and played just fine. Why not see what he does next season?

Ya, given his first year injury and his last year's contribution I really do not get the hate.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Here's the thing. There aren't too many teams, if any, that would say no to Olivier Vernon on a 1 year deal for 15.5M in 2020.

Ehhh not sure about that. Derek Wolfe who had 7 sacks in 12 games last year (Vernon had 3.5 in 10) just signed a 1 year 3 million guaranteed deal. No chance anybody is waiting in line to throw 15+ million at Vernon.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:
1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

His playing a premium position and only having a year left on the deal give Vernon some leverage here to not come down (much?) with his contract. We might be able to shake him down 😀 for a few million, though, depending on how he feels about possibly being cut/plunging late into free agency with potential contract devaluation after getting injured last year.

lol yeah exactly. Its more of a situation where you tell him what they are going to offer him or tell him have fun signing a 1 yr. $4 million deal somewhere else at the back end of FA.

Yea sounds great. Be a great way to black list yourself from future FAs. 

browns aren’t hurting in cap space but let’s screw a player over and if they don’t like the terms, just cut them way late in FA. Yeah sports representatives would respect the browns for that.

The vets on the team would love that as well. Be a great way to anger the two star WRs, anger JCT who is the players union president and the heart of the OL, prolly anger more ppl as well 

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Yea sounds great. Be a great way to black list yourself from future FAs. 

browns aren’t hurting in cap space but let’s screw a player over and if they don’t like the terms, just cut them way late in FA. Yeah sports representatives would respect the browns for that.

The vets on the team would love that as well. Be a great way to anger the two star WRs, anger JCT who is the players union president and the heart of the OL, prolly anger more ppl as well 

Has a overpaid player never been asked to restructure his deal before or would this the first time in NFL history? Also just because you have space to spend and your 'not hurting' for it doesnt mean you just maintain horrible contracts for players value. Players come available through trade/draft day/camp cuts ect and you need money for those.

If you want to go galaxy brain on this hear me out, what if they would have cut Vernon weeks ago and used that money to pay Schobert AND would have enough left to sign Clowney?

10 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Ehhh not sure about that. Derek Wolfe who had 7 sacks in 12 games last year (Vernon had 3.5 in 10) just signed a 1 year 3 million guaranteed deal. No chance anybody is waiting in line to throw 15+ million at Vernon.

So is sacks the only aspect of a DE that matters? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, buno67 said:

So is sacks the only aspect of a DE that matters? 

Not the only one no, but its a good indicator of a players playmaking ability and having impact plays. Sacks are typically drive killers and offer the chance for fumbles. You cant create turnovers if you never get to the QB. Its also why typically DEs that can get to the passer and rush are also the most highly paid.

Edited by AkronsWitness

11 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Not the only one no, but its a good indicator of a players playmaking ability and having impact plays. Sacks are typically drive killers and offer the chance for fumbles. You cant create turnovers if you never get to the QB. Its also why typically DEs that can get to the passer and rush are also the most highly paid.

Last year Vernon had 35 QB pressures. Derek Wolfe had 18. Also Vernon was our 2nd best run defender, right behind Richardson. So that was 35 passing plays he impacted. I want me DEs putting pressures on the QB. That’s what Vernon did last year. Sucks he didn’t get home as much and only played 10 games. 

Just now, buno67 said:

Last year Vernon had 35 QB pressures. Derek Wolfe had 18. Also Vernon was our 2nd best run defender, right behind Richardson. So that was 35 passing plays he impacted. I want me DEs putting pressures on the QB. That’s what Vernon did last year. Sucks he didn’t get home as much and only played 10 games. 

Thats what Im referencing though. Pressures are cool, but there are a lot of stats I would like to see out of my extremely highly paid DE than pressures. When you have a bunch of pressures and no counting stats, what does that exactly do for your team especially against good QBs? DEs dont get paid big money because they can create good pressure but never get home.

Myles Garrett isnt going to get a 100 million dollar contract because he gets pressures. He is going to get that because he can get you 13+ sacks per season.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Agree

Pressures are sometimes helpful and sometimes do not matter.

Hits are good when they add up

Sacks are often great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Why so eager to get rid of him? Didn’t play in ‘18. Well Gregggg Williams didn’t really believe in playing depth defensive lineman. ‘19 actually sees some playing time the last quarter of the season because of injuries and played just fine. Why not see what he does next season?

Same reason I couldn't wait to see Nate Orchard leave. 

I hate keeping a roster spot open for people who suck, especially when it is plainly obvious that they suck even before they're drafted.

The continued presence of guys like that smacks of desperation, and desperation begets bad decisions.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Same reason I couldn't wait to see Nate Orchard leave. 

I hate keeping a roster spot open for people who suck, especially when it is plainly obvious that they suck even before they're drafted.

The continued presence of guys like that smacks of desperation, and desperation begets bad decisions.

Agree with this

Dude's absolute ceiling is low character Frostee Rucker lmao

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Thats what Im referencing though. Pressures are cool, but there are a lot of stats I would like to see out of my extremely highly paid DE than pressures. When you have a bunch of pressures and no counting stats, what does that exactly do for your team especially against good QBs? DEs dont get paid big money because they can create good pressure but never get home.

Myles Garrett isnt going to get a 100 million dollar contract because he gets pressures. He is going to get that because he can get you 13+ sacks per season.

Apparently it does when Vernon got paid big money. He wasnt getting 10+ sacks a year when he signed his deal. Vernon was getting decent sack numbers, creating pressure, and defending extreme well against the run. Campbell got a huge contract from the jags and he wasnt a 10+ sack guy. Rarely do you ever see a guy who creates so much pressure, not get the sack pay offs. one bad luck and two, Myles Garrett beating him to the QB a few times. He pays the run extremely well and creates pressures. Thats all you really want from your DE. 

Do the browns have a better DE waiting in the wings or lined up to take his spot?No, so you dont cut him

Are the browns desperate to clear $15m in cap space?No, they have the 4th most cap currently I believe