Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

17 minutes ago, buno67 said:

https://twitter.com/brentsobleski/status/1232298578149826562?s=20

Let's put something to bed after being told over & over again how Olivier Vernon wasn't productive last season. Pass-rush productivity (percentage of snaps, 200 or more, with pressure generated):

• 1. Garrett - 15.1%
  • 2. Vernon - 13.2%

For comparison, following edge-rushers fit into same range as Vernon in pass-rush productivity:

• Khalil Mack: 13.2%
  • Dante Fowler: 13.2%
  • Brandon Graham: 13.1%
  • Arik Armstead: 12.5%
  • Chandler Jones: 12.2%
  • Everson Griffen: 12.1%

Top FAs Ngakoue & Clowney fell below those numbers.

You mention Ingram, PFF graded Vernon higher than him.

PFF stats are fine, but this is where I have a issue. 

Vernon was #111th in Sacks, #174th in TFLs and only generated 1 Forced Fumble.

For $17 million per year, I expect a lot more than being good at pressures. I expect him to finish those pressures and create more game changing plays. Need to see more drive killing sacks, stuffing the RB for a 4 yard loss and some strip sack fumbles for $17 million. Hes not doing any of that. Hes not that type of high end DE.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

For $17 million per year, I expect a lot more than being good at pressures. I expect him to finish those pressures and create more game changing plays.

Well he had to fight to finish those pressures with Garrett. Garrett beat him a lot of times to the QB. Doesn’t help that our secondary wasn’t very good. Improved secondary will improve that.  

Again youre box score scouting.  Meaningless scouting

13 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

For $17 million per year, I expect a lot more than being good at pressures. I expect him to finish those pressures and create more game changing plays. Need to see more drive killing sacks, stuffing the RB for a 4 yard loss and some strip sack fumbles for $17 million. Hes not doing any of that. Hes not that type of high end DE.

You wouldn't get as much value from him in a trade as you would just running him back out there and hoping he doesn't keep getting tagged with injuries.  It's like the same thing as Odell.

Who cares that he's way overpaid when he's off the books next year.  We aren't going to need that cash now.

He tried gutting through an injury last year and went down again.  I'm not questioning his heart, he plays hard when he's out there.

Edited by Rod Johnson
  • Like 1

Depth signing maybe beats out Vernon

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Only way he is beating out Vernon is if Vernon isn’t healthy

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Only way he is beating out Vernon is if Vernon isn’t healthy

I understand your love for vernon who would not pay 60,000.000 for 12 sacks from the hole defensive line.

Keep in mine Thomas had 4 sacks starting 6 games and Myles was not on the field to help him.

i