Bernstien: Fox will be fired

WindyCity

On 9/29/2017 at 1:22 PM, Superman(DH23) said:

Astonishing stat.  In 16 seasons as a hc, john fox has had 6 winning seasons.  Of those 6, 3 were with arguably the greatest qb of all time.  This team fired Lovie Smith after a 10 win season, never finishing below 7-9 outside of his very first year as an hc.  And 4 playoff appearances in 8 years including 1 superbowl loss and an nfccg loss.  He also had 2 winning seasons that they didnt make the playoffs in.  If Trubisky doesnt start week 5, this team is going to go the trestman route

The 2012 Bears were a bunch of bumslayers. They destroyed every hapless/undisciplined team they played and lost games to playoff-caliber teams.

The Lovie Bears were done on December 2, 2012. Watching that defense fall flat on their face trying to stop Seattle from driving right down the field in overtime and seeing Urlacher get totally gassed chasing down Russell Wilson signaled the end of an era.

This whole "Lovie was unjustly fired after 10-6" talk that has perpetuated for years now is total nonsense. His time had passed, and I say that as somebody who was a huge Lovie apologist during his tenure with the Bears.

2 hours ago, tribar said:

I wish the Bears had either fired Fox after last year or waited to draft a QB next year. We can't go down this change the coaching staff every (other) year route again. It would have been best for Trubisky to start with a new coaching staff that will at least be here for 4-5 years. 

That is what we will be implementing I'm sure. Pace will likely want an offensive mind that does the playcalling and focuses on Trubisky's development directly.

Pete Carmichael is interesting as his numbers are nice

2012 [Payton Suspended]: 3rd in Points, 2nd in Yards

2016: 2nd in points, 1st in yards

I do not know anything about him personally or how he would run a team, but the play calling chops are there even if he has an elite QB.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Pete Carmichael is interesting as his numbers are nice

2012 [Payton Suspended]: 3rd in Points, 2nd in Yards

2016: 2nd in points, 1st in yards

I do not know anything about him personally or how he would run a team, but the play calling chops are there even if he has an elite QB.

He's my darkhorse candidate. No idea if he has any interested in being a head coach, but some of New Orleans' most explosive offensive seasons have come with him calling plays (not Sean Payton).

2002-2005 he was an offensive assistant with the Chargers under Cam Cameron

2006-2017 he's been a QB coach/passing game coordinator/offensive coordinator under Sean Payton.

46 years old... might be worth a shot IF he can be a leader of men AND find a top-tier defensive coordinator (I pray Todd Bowles is fired).

I keep coming back to the fact that Pace pretty much announced to the world with his draft that he is officially building NO north on offense.

He drafted husband Bree's, Graham and Sproles. He also tried to pull a Jahri Evans/Bushrod in the 5th.

Maybe Payton is an option, but carmichael would not shock me.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

My only concern with Carmichael Jr is why has he not got a job before now? The numbers have always been there but he rarely even get's an interview.

Definitely a concern - Pace did interview him during the last coaching search, before Fox became available.

I'm guessing its partly because he has been tied to Brees/Payton since 2006  - so just like that long time GB asst who seemingly couldn't buy an interview (whose name escapes me at the moment) there is some question as to just how much influence Carmichael has on the offense.

I'm not sure who I want to bring in.  I guess I'd prefer a offensive-minded guy if only because that is where the league has gone.   I don't trust anyone from NE - I think Biil B runs every single aspect of that organization - and I don't believe that Josh McD has changed because I don't think anyone that arrogant is capable of change.

I'd probably go with JBC because he sounds the most like an Andy Griffith/Dukes of Hazard character.

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

My only concern with Carmichael Jr is why has he not got a job before now? The numbers have always been there but he rarely even get's an interview.

Maybe he is waiting.

This is only his 3rd season calling plays, so I am not sure if the concern about him not getting interviews is as worrying as Fangio.

4 hours ago, Mudderfudder77 said:

Definitely a concern - Pace did interview him during the last coaching search, before Fox became available.

I'm guessing its partly because he has been tied to Brees/Payton since 2006  - so just like that long time GB asst who seemingly couldn't buy an interview (whose name escapes me at the moment) there is some question as to just how much influence Carmichael has on the offense.

I'm not sure who I want to bring in.  I guess I'd prefer a offensive-minded guy if only because that is where the league has gone.   I don't trust anyone from NE - I think Biil B runs every single aspect of that organization - and I don't believe that Josh McD has changed because I don't think anyone that arrogant is capable of change.

I'd probably go with JBC because he sounds the most like an Andy Griffith/Dukes of Hazard character.

Tom Clements.

The thing about Carmichael Jr that really opened my eyes was how the first year he called plays for New Orleans (2012) they ranked 2nd in yards, 3rd in points, but 29th in rushing. I think that would have to change if he took over here.

In 2016, though, he was calling plays again and they ranked 1st in yards, 2nd in points, and 19th in rushing attempts (better).

Perhaps Carmichael’s low-key persona is part of the reason why he has only had a handful of head-coaching opportunities so far -- most recently an interview with the Chicago Bears in 2013. He was also under consideration for head-coaching gigs with the Indianapolis Colts and Oakland Raiders in the past.

But Carmichael also hasn’t spent much time seeking the next steppingstone. He twice turned down chances to become offensive coordinator of the Miami Dolphins earlier in his career and reportedly turned down OC interview opportunities with the Jacksonville Jaguars and Philadelphia Eagles in 2013.

He's certainly on my radar, and I think Pace (fairly or unfairly) puts a TON of stock in the "New Orleans way".

ESPN's Paul Finebaum believes that Michigan HC Jim Harbaugh "could start listening to NFL offers."

"No one’s running Harbaugh off since he’s one of the three or four best coaches in the country, but I think he will implode at the frustration of not winning these games and start listening to NFL offers," Finebaum said on SportsCenter on Sunday morning. Those comments come in the wake of the Wolverines' sloppy loss to Michigan State on Saturday. We would not be surprised to see NFL teams pining for Harbaugh's services this winter, but until then, this is all just speculation.

Still a total pipe dream IMO but interesting none the less.

On 10/9/2017 at 12:24 AM, WindyCity said:

Can't see Pace doing it.

Harbaugh will either get full control or take it once he is in. Pace would be essentially firing himself.

I don't get why people are so excited about the idea of Harbaugh becoming the next Bears coach.  He's a whiny crybaby who throws a fit when things don't go his way and you can already see how that can rub players the wrong way.  He pretty much tore that elite 49ers team of a few years ago apart because of his arrogance and desire to hold all the power.   Do we really need any more drama with this team?

Plus he hasn't exactly done a great job at Michigan, where he was expected to turn that program into a perennial powerhouse that would compete for National Championships.  Need I say more?  Now if he wants to be a QB coach or OC then I might consider him but as a head coach...pass.

40 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't get why people are so excited about the idea of Harbaugh becoming the next Bears coach.  He's a whiny crybaby who throws a fit when things don't go his way and you can already see how that can rub players the wrong way.  He pretty much tore that elite 49ers team of a few years ago apart because of his arrogance and desire to hold all the power.   Do we really need any more drama with this team?

Plus he hasn't exactly done a great job at Michigan, where he was expected to turn that program into a perennial powerhouse that would compete for National Championships.  Need I say more?  Now if he wants to be a QB coach or OC then I might consider him but as a head coach...pass.

Preach! We always cling to coaches with past success (Cowher, Harbaugh, M Shannahan, S. Peyton) but the reality is best coach for the Bears is a guy we've never heard of. The Mike Tomlins of the world.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think that's a fair assessment of Harbaugh, he had 1 "bad" year (8-8) in 4 years as HC in SF, and then was fired/quit (can't remember the specifics) as the GM and owners thought they were smarter than the rest of the world, hired Chip Kelly, and then the GM and Kelly were promptly fired after that and here they are as one of the worst teams in the NFL still.  Harbaugh took Colin Freakin Kaepernick to the super bowl, and has since gotten people up in arms about this protest stuff because he now has a leg to stand on as "not the worst QB in the NFL" which means the politics of him kneeling is clearly the reason he is unemployed (lol). 

It also takes time to rebuild a college program like that.   You have to build a reputation before you can start getting the best recruits, and while I'm by no means an expert on college football, he certainly hasn't been around that long, probably not long enough to have built the cred to get recruits like alabama or FSU can right now.  

All of this being said, I wouldn't mind them try to find their own guy instead of a retread, but of all the former NFL head coaches to get the job, I think Harbaugh would probably be the best at it because of his experience molding QB's.  Remember, Belichick is a second time head coach, and while hiring former NFL head coaches doesn't usually work out well, it doesn't mean that should eliminate them from contention, either.

Archived