2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

15 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

That's pretty funny. 

So risk losing out on someone like Williams or Cooks, then get mad when Fant gets smoked at LT or Sam doesn't have one to throw to because our WR needs more time to develop. Got it. 

Getting one of them wouldn't be impulsive. Cooks fits the multi-route runner you believe gase needs for his system.  Williams is a pro-bowl caliber LT who can come in and make life easier for Bell and Darnold day 1. 

Sigh, Cooks also has a severe concussion issue and highly paid, albeit talented.   You think LAR are going to just gift him to us?

Same premise for Trent, plus we'd have to pay him top 5 OT money on top of that.  WAS clearly isn't in the business of giving away players, and they're dysfunctional.

What you're not seeing is that the timeline of the team and the career arcs that those players are in different places.

We're not a Super Bowl team this year, never were.  We had FIVE good players going into the offseason, maybe less.

This was always a multiyear build, and JD's plan and execution clearly show that.

Look at Indy, they never spent until this year because they knew the rest of their roster needed severe work.  Where did that work come from?  The DRAFT, not FA, despite the fact that they had Andrew Luck..

It sucks for us because we have a QB on a rookie deal and it seems like we're squandering an opportunity, but the reality is that we are quite far from contention.

Build this team the right way, though the draft with patience.

When the time is right, we will go balls-to-the-wall, ala Indy this year, PHI the past few years, BAL last year..

Do you want to be HOU?

Edited by Kyu
  • Like 1

👔
1 minute ago, Kyu said:

Sigh, Cooks also has a severe concussion issue and highly paid, albeit talented.   You think LAR are going to just gift him to us?

Same premise for Trent, plus we'd have to pay him top 5 OT money on top of that.  WAS clearly isn't in the business of giving away players, and they're dysfunctional.

What you're not seeing is that the timeline of the team and the career arcs that those players are at.

We're not a Super Bowl team this year, never were.  We had FIVE good players going into the offseason, maybe less.

This was always a multiyear build, and JD's plan and execution clearly show that.

Look at Indy, they never spent until this year because they knew the rest of their roster needed severe work.  Where did that work come from?  The DRAFT, not FA, despite the fact that they had Andrew Luck..

It sucks for us because we have a QB on a rookie deal and it seems like we're squandering an opportunity, but the reality is that we are quite far from contention.

Build this team the right way, though the draft with patience.

When the time is right, we will go balls-to-the-wall, ala Indy this year, PHI the past few years, BAL last year..

Do you want to be HOU?

Cooks is 26 and before last season, he played 16 games 4 straight seasons with over 1k yards in all of them. 

Williams put Washington in a position where they don't have a choice but to try to move him. So it's not like they're trying to trade him because they're done with him. 

When the 49ers signed Sherman & Dee Ford, were they thinking about how far their roster was? Teams become good by getting good players and coaches. 1 move like this isn't going to set the franchise back. Cooks contract is not far from normal at this point. Alshon was on the books for $15M this season. Watkins aka the Injury God has a 21M cap hit. 

I wouldn't use Luck and the team building as an example. They didn't accomplish anything because they were comfortable with not making moves towards getting an RB or another WR to go with Hilton. 

I wanted to keep Anderson, but I'm not mad at JD but I think he should look into doing one or the other so Darnold and Gase aren't trying to prove themselves with 2 rookie WR's (who will need to learn and adapt) and/or LT being an issue again. 

9 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Cooks is 26 and before last season, he played 16 games 4 straight seasons with over 1k yards in all of them. 

Williams put Washington in a position where they don't have a choice but to try to move him. So it's not like they're trying to trade him because they're done with him. 

When the 49ers signed Sherman & Dee Ford, were they thinking about how far their roster was? Teams become good by getting good players and coaches. 1 move like this isn't going to set the franchise back. Cooks contract is not far from normal at this point. Alshon was on the books for $15M this season. Watkins aka the Injury God has a 21M cap hit. 

I wouldn't use Luck and the team building as an example. They didn't accomplish anything because they were comfortable with not making moves towards getting an RB or another WR to go with Hilton. 

I wanted to keep Anderson, but I'm not mad at JD but I think he should look into doing one or the other so Darnold and Gase aren't trying to prove themselves with 2 rookie WR's (who will need to learn and adapt) and/or LT being an issue again. 

1.  If you don't want to use the Google to see what's up with Cooks, then that's your prerogative and doesn't help your argument.

2.  I never said Williams was washed up, but we're in a multi year rebuild and he's 31 and wants a monster pay day.  Does that add up to you?

3.  Uh....  Their competent FO in SF probably looked at the roster and realized saw the fact that they had pieces ALL over the place, PLUS they just got their QB.. Why would they NOT go for it?  Again, I could literally count the longterm talent on one hand going into this offseason.

4.  So other teams made crappy decisions and we should follow suit, correct?  Alshon was a "we have to win now and we need a WR" move.  That worked out well for them.  Sammy Watkins, same thing.  Do you want that crap on our books in 2 years?

5.  What you said about Indy makes no sense.  Were they not always top 5 in available cap during the last 2 years of the Luck Era and early part of the Ballard regime?  Did they get an Alshon or a Watkins?  No, they built their trenches through the draft and added young pieces to their defense.

6.  We won't have starting rookies anywhere unless they deserve the playing time, thus the "fill the holes" philosophy we've been using this year.

Can you not even admit that we're in a rebuild?  Did you really think one offseason would put us up there with BAL or KC or even Buffalo?

Edited by Kyu

46 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

That's pretty funny. 

So risk losing out on someone like Williams or Cooks, then get mad when Fant gets smoked at LT or Sam doesn't have one to throw to because our WR needs more time to develop. Got it. 

Getting one of them wouldn't be impulsive. Cooks fits the multi-route runner you believe gase needs for his system.  Williams is a pro-bowl caliber LT who can come in and make life easier for Bell and Darnold day 1. 

You make it sound very simple. That’s the problem. Redskins and Rams aren’t giving these guys away right now. Trent has contact demands and Cooks was guaranteed some money from LA and has concussion issues. This isn’t Madden. 

Damn - This is the first move of the offseason I've been upset with. Not sure why Douglas wasn't willing to match a contract that was at or lower than market value for an ascending, home grown player that Sam is comfortable with.

It's hard to fault Douglas for staying firm with his offer, seeing as we've been praising him for taking the same approach with other guys (Poole/Jenkins). Having said, I would've afforded more flexibility to the situation given how imperative it is that we put Darnold in a position to succeed.  

• Like 1

Just now, NJC33 said:

Damn - This is the first move of the offseason I've been upset with. Not sure why Douglas wasn't willing to match a contract that was at or lower than market value for an ascending, home grown player that Sam is comfortable with.

It's hard to fault Douglas for staying firm with his offer, seeing as we've been praising him for taking the same approach with other guys (Poole/Jenkins). Having said, I would've afforded more flexibility to the situation given how imperative it is that we put Darnold in a position to succeed.  

You win some, you lose some, but I fully expect him to use the Robby fund for other WR talent or help at other spots on the roster.

My oh my, how this forum would change their tune if we signed Perriman and Demarcus Robinson for the same amount Robby got....

1 minute ago, Kyu said:

You win some, you lose some, but I fully expect him to use the Robby fund for other WR talent or help at other spots on the roster.

My oh my, how this forum would change their tune if we signed Perriman and Demarcus Robinson for the same amount Robby got....

What ? I like Perriman but his limited "success" came in a season where Jameis Winston peppered the entire field an unsustainable amount of time

Demarcus Robinson is a JAG and nothing

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kyu said:

I'm going reserve passing judgement until I see how he allocates the remain cap space but WR needs to addressed in some capacity. Personally, I'm not a fan of Perrmian and view him as a downgrade.

Edited by NJC33

Next man up. Vyncint Smith, Jehu Chesson, Josh Doctson one of y’all has a shot to step up and make some noise. 

Remember there was a time we didn’t know who Robby was and then he lit it up with Hackenberg on that one drive in the preseason.

I def understand the pessimism tho, trust me. 

18 minutes ago, Kyu said:

1.  If you don't want to use the Google to see what's up with Cooks, then that's your prerogative and doesn't help your argument.

2.  I never said Williams was washed up, but we're in a multi year rebuild and he's 31 and wants a monster pay day.  Does that add up to you?

3.  Uh....  Their competent FO in SF probably looked at the roster and realized saw the fact that they had pieces ALL over the place, PLUS they just got their QB.. Why would they NOT go for it?  Again, I could literally count the longterm talent on one hand going into this offseason.

4.  So other teams made crappy decisions and we should follow suit, correct?  Alshon was a "we have to win now and we need a WR" move.  That worked out well for them.  Sammy Watkins, same thing.  Do you want that crap on our books in 2 years?

5.  What you said about Indy makes no sense.  Were they not always top 5 in available cap during the last 2 years of the Luck Era and early part of the Ballard regime?  Did they get an Alshon or a Watkins?  No, they built their trenches through the draft and added young pieces to their defense.

6.  We won't have starting rookies anywhere unless they deserve the playing time, thus the "fill the holes" philosophy we've been using this year.

Can you not even admit that we're in a rebuild?  Did you really think one offseason would put us up there with BAL or KC or even Buffalo?

I used Watkins and Alshon as contract examples because you brought up him getting paid. I can understand the concern about Williams' age. But for Cooks? I'm still down for trading for him. He's a young upgrade who fits the potential scheme and had one bad year out of the last 5. Pair him with Crowder A rookie WR, Bell, and Herndon/Griffin... Darnold will be in a great position. Even in a rebuild, getting someone his age helps because he can stay for years and helps Darnold develop. 

Edited by rickyt31

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Next man up. Vyncint Smith, Jehu Chesson, Josh Doctson one of y’all has a shot to step up and make some noise. 

Remember there was a time we didn’t know who Robby was and then he lit it up with Hackenberg on that one drive in the preseason.

I def understand the pessimism tho, trust me. 

If we had Brady sure. 

Not sure I'm willing to roll the dice and gamble on Vyncint Smith or Josh Doctson in a critical third season for Sam. Nonetheless, appreciate the optimistic outlook lol.