2020 NFL Free Agency: Rumors and Reports

jetskid007

3 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

I find it funny that this forum is always complaining about edge rusher but at the same time never seems to want to sign guys. 

If clowney was elite, he wouldnt have hit FA. We arent drafted an edge guy early. So if you want to improve the pass rush you quit bellyaching about overpaying 1 guy (who at least has the potential to be elite) and take a chance. Cause I'd rather pay clowney 18 mil next season than winters for less than half that. 

I don't like Clowney long-term but you're right

• Like 1

Clowney is starting to be underrated.

He’s better than Trey Flowers who got $18. But I’d argue the Lions over paid.

How much is a guy who’s going to give you 8-10 sacks and 15-18 TFL worth? 

He’s no Khalil Mack so the $18-22 is too much. But he’s better than Robert Quinn who got $14. He’s also better than Shaq Lawson who got $10. Better than Anthony Barr $13.5. 

Preston Smith ($13) and Za’Darius Smith ($16.5). He’s somewhere in here. That Preston Smith contract looks great at the moment. Compared to the guys last year, I’d put Clowney at $15 last year but the Salary Cap went up 5%. Seems like a 4 year deal at $16 is pretty fair. 

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 5

56 minutes ago, KodiakThunder said:

I find it funny that this forum is always complaining about edge rusher but at the same time never seems to want to sign guys. 

If clowney was elite, he wouldnt have hit FA. We arent drafted an edge guy early. So if you want to improve the pass rush you quit bellyaching about overpaying 1 guy (who at least has the potential to be elite) and take a chance. Cause I'd rather pay clowney 18 mil next season than winters for less than half that. 

I’d be happy if we signed him. I just don’t think he’d be worth his salary and might also just be a 1yr rental rather than actually fixing our edge issue.

41 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Clowney is starting to be underrated.

He’s better than Trey Flowers who got $18. But I’d argue the Lions over paid.

How much is a guy who’s going to give you 8-10 sacks and 15-18 TFL worth? 

He’s no Khalil Mack so the $18-22 is too much. But he’s better than Robert Quinn who got $14. He’s also better than Shaq Lawson who got $10. Better than Anthony Barr $13.5. 

Preston Smith ($13) and Za’Darius Smith ($16.5). He’s somewhere in here. That Preston Smith contract looks great at the moment. Compared to the guys last year, I’d put Clowney at $15 last year but the Salary Cap went up 5%. Seems like a 4 year deal at $16 is pretty fair. 

Great perspective here. 

For me, paying Clowney has always been about resource allocation. Seeing as there's no one else left worth throwing money at and assuming we aren't making some big trade, I'm all for giving Clowney around $16mm on a short term deal. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Great perspective here. 

For me, paying Clowney has always been about resource allocation. Seeing as there's no one else left worth throwing money at and assuming we aren't making some big trade, I'm all for giving Clowney around $16mm on a short term deal. 

I mean... I'm fine signing Clowney for the right price, but that is a bit of flawed logic.  The "well there is no one else" mind set is basically what has us throwing gobs of money at Bell.  It also doesn't make sense since cap space rolls over to the next year and could be used on FA next year when we are hopefully more in a win now mode.  

Hard to read and cant change cor font on my phone... but imagine this draft. (Compliments of first-pick.com)
Your score is: 37787 (GRADE: A-)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 22 (MINN): Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia (A+)
Round 1 Pick 26 (MIA): Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU (A-)
Round 2 Pick 16: Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson (A+)
Round 2 Pick 17 (PITT): Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU (A+)
Round 3 Pick 4: Tyler Biadasz, C/OG, Wisconsin (A)
Round 3 Pick 9 (JAX): Bradlee Anae, DE, Utah (A)
Round 4 Pick 14: Zack Moss, RB, Utah (A+)
Round 5 Pick 12: Jauan Jennings, WR, Tennessee (A+)
Round 6 Pick 12: Kendall Coleman, DE/OLB, Syracuse (A+)
Round 6 Pick 32: James Morgan, QB, FIU (A+)

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

I mean... I'm fine signing Clowney for the right price, but that is a bit of flawed logic.  The "well there is no one else" mind set is basically what has us throwing gobs of money at Bell.  It also doesn't make sense since cap space rolls over to the next year and could be used on FA next year when we are hopefully more in a win now mode.  

It's only flawed logic if you don't apply context: 

Signing Clowney would trigger addition transactions (Winters//Williamson, etc.) and/or prevent us from adding more depth - It's not like it would automatically result in us forfeiting significant cap space that we could roll over to next season. I get where you're coming from with the Bell comparison, but it's a lot more complicated than that. For starters, it's a lot different when you're throwing gobs of money at an actual position of significant value compared to a running back. It's also why I said I'd offer him a short term deal, ideally with an out after the first year so we'd be protected financially. 

Also, contrary to the popular opinion on here, I do think we're in a position to win now. As far as I'm concerned the division is wide open without Brady and we'd be foolish to not have some sense of urgency. That doesn't mean we're in a position to mortgage the future and go all in, but signing Clowney to a short term deal doesn't do that. Brady finally leaves and people are ready to concede defeat to Josh Allen, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Hoyer?? Lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Signing Clowney would trigger addition transactions (Winters//Williamson, etc.) and/or prevent us from adding more depth - It's not like it would automatically result in us forfeiting significant cap space that we could roll over to next season. I get where you're coming from with the Bell comparison, but it's a lot more complicated than that. For starters, it's a lot different when you're throwing gobs of money at an actual position of significant value compared to a running back. It's also why I said I'd offer him a short term deal, ideally with an out after the first year so we'd be protected financially. 

Also, contrary to the popular opinion on here, I do think we're in a position to win now. As far as I'm concerned the division is wide open without Brady and we'd be foolish to not have some sense of urgency. That doesn't mean we're in a position to mortgage the future and go all in, but signing Clowney to a short term deal doesn't do that. Brady finally leaves and people are ready to concede defeat to Josh Allen, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brian Hoyer?? Lol.

Yeah now is the time to strike. We aren't that far off, just need to make the right moves.

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Given all the 1yr deals we’ve handed out (JD touched on this yesterday) I don’t expect him to offer Clowney more than a year. But as JD said that won’t stop him from locking those 1yr guys up long term mid season if he feels they’ve earned it and the money is right. I think Clowney needs to put his game together. But being he’s at a position of need for us I’m all for getting him. But I am weary of him just playing hard to try and sign elsewhere. Where he ain’t an answer for us... more or less a “contract year” proving ground. Where we nester next year still needing an edge rather than rolling over cap.

JD did show his cards a bit by saying he will be doing his due diligence when asked about Clowney and said the edge position as a whole.l they’re really looking at. So I do expect Clowney, Yannik or Judon to be a Jet at some point in the next few weeks

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

JD did show his cards a bit by saying he will be doing his due diligence when asked about Clowney and said the edge position as a whole.l they’re really looking at. So I do expect Clowney, Yannik or Judon to be a Jet at some point in the next few weeks

I agree and picking someone up via trade or free agency (post draft & preseason cuts) is the best route to go. 

2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Do we have the cap to sign Clowney? Sounds like that would get Winters and Williamson cut.

There would have to be moves made. But there’s others we can still cut to save a few mill. Guys like Bellamy, I believe are still on our roster. Or take a poor return draft pick wise to dump a contract like Henry Anderson via trade.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d be happy if we signed him. I just don’t think he’d be worth his salary and might also just be a 1yr rental rather than actually fixing our edge issue.

Agree 100% and feel the exact same way. Hes a very good DEFENDER, I dont necessarily think hes a great pass rusher though. How big of a difference maker will he actually be for the money? I just dont know it it will be as significant as we are hoping.