(Polls) Rank/Choose the Top Tackles & Joe Thomas Says Wirfs is a Guard

Mind Character

Rank the Tackles  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who's Your 2020 OT1 NFL Draft Prospect?

• Mekhi Becton, OT Louisville
    • Andrew Thomas, OT Georgia
    • Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama
    • Tristan Wirfs, OT/OG Iowa
    • Josh Jones, OT Houston
    • Austin Jackson, OT USC
  2. 2. Is there a Clear Best, Head and Shoulders Above the Rest Tackle Prospect in the Draft?

3. 3. How Many Tackles Go Off the Board BEFORE the Browns Select?

• 0 - None; We'll be Selecting the 1st Tackle Taken in the NFL Draft

Becton is freaking good, guys. I don’t know why so many people hate him. Because he’s huge? He doesn’t carry around bad fat. He’s not chunky. The dude is ripped and moves like a dude 100 pounds lighter. For being so gigantic, he has solid bend and doesn’t overextend himself. He isn’t just some big fast guy that can’t play. He’s legit and has the upside of the GOAT. 

Injuries are the only concern, but he hasn’t been injury-prone—it’s just something a lot of big dudes struggle with. 

• Like 3

Geoff Schwartz longtime quality Guard who's career was derailed by injury has given his evaluation of the OLine/Tackle Prospect in this draft class.

He's a frequent collaborator and constructive discusser/debater with PFF analysts, as well as a quality podcaster on OLine and football play as a whole.

He evaluates and believes Tristan Wirfs is a Guard, Becton is raw in all ways, Andrew Thomas is the best LT prospect, and Wills should stay at RT..

That's 3 OLineman (John Greco, Geoff Schwartz, and Joe Thomas) commenting at sine point in detail about WIrfs being a Guard.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 3

On 4/12/2020 at 5:33 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah people are living in some Incredible Hulk marvel universe if you think a dude can be ripped at 370.

He’s not a blubbery turd, but he could easily lose 30 pounds.

He's not sloppy...he's just a big strong dude. Yeah I'd love for him to drop 15-20 pounds. I think he probably will. But it doesn't mean he can't play at that weight.

9 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He's not sloppy...he's just a big strong dude. Yeah I'd love for him to drop 15-20 pounds. I think he probably will. But it doesn't mean he can't play at that weight.

Play?  Of course.  Play at his best or for a decade plus?  Probably not.

I mean, name another 370 pound tackle who’s you’d consider “very good” or better?

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Play?  Of course.  Play at his best or for a decade plus?  Probably not.

I mean, name another 370 pound tackle who’s you’d consider “very good” or better?

He’s an anomaly though. Name an OT that moves that well, has great tape, and is that big? Mekhi Becton’s don’t have doppelgängers to compare to, for good or bad. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He’s an anomaly though. Name an OT that moves that well, has great tape, and is that big? Mekhi Becton’s don’t have doppelgängers to compare to, for good or bad. 

Fair enough, but if he’s such an unrivaled freak, how come he’s not better at playing OT?

I mean, he’s not bad, but his tape is solidly 3rd best (at most amongst) the top tackles imo.

38 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Fair enough, but if he’s such an unrivaled freak, how come he’s not better at playing OT?

I mean, he’s not bad, but his tape is solidly 3rd best (at most amongst) the top tackles imo.

This is fair. Becton is in the Greg Robinson mold at tackle in some ways. Not comparing their games, but more where they were as prospects coming out. They both had good, but not amazing, tape, but their insane athletic gifting vaulted them up boards. The difference this year is that there are three other OT's who are more highly regarded than anyone in Robinson's class, so Becton will go somewhere in the top 15, rather than in the top 3 like Robinson.

I love Becton's potential, but I've come around to having him 3-4 on my OT target list rather than 2-3. He could be an absolute monster, but he could also be out of the league in 6-7 years. And I think with our current team construction, a safer choice like Thomas/Wills and even another risky choice like Wirfs who has the fallback plan of being an all-pro guard make more sense for us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

His tape is excellent. Just listened to a podcast today where Daniel Jeremiah said he has the absolute best tape out of any of the OTs. I think it goes: Wills/Becton/Thomas/Wirfs based on tape, but Becton had excellent tape.

I want my OT in this order:

1. Thomas—Smooth operator. Dominates in pass pro. 
2. Wirfs—Elite ZBS fit. Dominant run blocker. 
3. Becton—Unreal specimen. Fits a ZBS despite size. 
4. Wills—Best feet in pass pro. Not an awesome ZBS fit. 

There’s nothing wrong with any of those 4 being picked at 10 IMO. Pick your favorite or pick one out of a hat. You’ll be happy. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

His tape is excellent. Just listened to a podcast today where Daniel Jeremiah said he has the absolute best tape out of any of the OTs. I think it goes: Wills/Becton/Thomas/Wirfs based on tape, but Becton had excellent tape.

so Becton has better tape then the dude who was a unanimous All-American? No way Becton has better tape because you put on his traditional pass set cut ups and you will see he is clearly not better than wills and thomas in that department. this is a pretty important aspect

@buno67 Becton is a much better run blocker than those two. By a lot. And his ceiling as a pass blocker is sky high. I won’t refute that Wills and Thomas are more refined in pass blocking and have way more reps, but it’s not exactly like Becton was bad at it. The ZBS is perfect for Becton and Wirfs. Those two are clearly better fits for our team philosophy. That being said, I don’t think the other two should be DQed based on that principle. I just know our OC is going to ask himself who can reach a DE on an outside zone before he asks himself who was the marginally better pass blocker.

Every one of these OTs has some minor warts and major strengths. None of the warts should scare you away.

My guy right now is Thomas by a freaking nose hair, but as long as we leave with 1 of the 4 future franchise LT’s, I’m good. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

@buno67 Becton is a much better run blocker than those two. By a lot. And his ceiling as a pass blocker is sky high. I won’t refute that Wills and Thomas are more refined in pass blocking and have way more reps, but it’s not exactly like Becton was bad at it. The ZBS is perfect for Becton and Wirfs. Those two are clearly better fits for our team philosophy. That being said, I don’t think the other two should be DQed based on that principle. I just know our OC is going to ask himself who can reach a DE on an outside zone before he asks himself who was the marginally better pass blocker.

Every one of these OTs has some minor warts and major strengths. None of the warts should scare you away.

My guy right now is Thomas by a freaking nose hair, but as long as we leave with 1 of the 4 future franchise LT’s, I’m good. 

Becton is a very good run blocker but I could care less about that trait when it’s my left tackle, especially when it’s a zone scheme. Hell thats basically what Robinson was when he came out of college. Amazing athlete who was a mauler in the run game. Pass blocking never developed.

Give Me the tackles that are already Established as pretty good overall pass blockers. I’m not drafting a LT and hoping he can develop into one of those when that is the most important aspect for their position. Rather have my tackle develop as a run blocker than as a pass blocker. 

• Like 2