NFL/XFL/CFB and COVID-19

brushmyhair

13 hours ago, BayRaider said:

My brother is a biologist and works on Coronavirus basically 24/7 right now. He said to avoid huge public events where you stand in shoulder-shoulder proximity and airplanes at all costs. 

While Coronavirus is only a 2-3% fatality rate, the incubation period is 6-24 days (how long it takes symptoms to show up, and you can infect others during this incubation period). You could easily give it to a really old person and end their life which is really insensitive on the part of the individual. Considering they took the risk of attending a huge event, with the thought process of not caring if they get it themself, but no regards for others they may infect once they get home (grocery stores, etc). It’s really insensitive. 

I’m not gonna go to the draft and will reserve my time for a few Raider games instead. 

If you don't know you are infected and accidentally give it to others I don't think you are being insensitive.   

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If you don't know you are infected and accidentally give it to others I don't think you are being insensitive.   

I'd agree but I also don't think the mindset of "I'm 30 so I'm not going to change my lifestyle since the virus can't hurt me" is something people should have. If you are being careful and get it and pass it along it's not insensitive. But I think he was saying if you are recklessly disobeying CDC guidelines due to believing you are invincible then it would be insensitive. 

• Like 1

There are major universities that have or are preparing to cancel in-person classes.  E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) that happens every year in Los Angeles was just canceled.

In the case of the NFL Draft, it won't be canceled, but there is a chance it won't happen in-person.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

There are major universities that have or are preparing to cancel in-person classes.  E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo) that happens every year in Los Angeles was just canceled.

In the case of the NFL Draft, it won't be canceled, but there is a chance it won't happen in-person.

Two large concerts (SXSW in Austin and Ultra Music Festival in Miami) were just cancelled... 

I'm starting to think the entire fan experience in Vegas will be cancelled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

I'd agree but I also don't think the mindset of "I'm 30 so I'm not going to change my lifestyle since the virus can't hurt me" is something people should have. If you are being careful and get it and pass it along it's not insensitive. But I think he was saying if you are recklessly disobeying CDC guidelines due to believing you are invincible then it would be insensitive

He should have said this.  I am over 60 but in reasonably good health so I'm not too worried about this virus anymore than I am about the seasonal flu.

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Two large concerts (SXSW in Austin and Ultra Music Festival in Miami) were just cancelled... 

I'm starting to think the entire fan experience in Vegas will be cancelled.

Yup.  I've attended SXSW so many times.  It's such a great event.  Unfortunate it is canceled.

The NBA has given a heads up that there is a potential in the future that they might have to play games in arenas without fans.

Some people think it's too short of a notice to cancel the NFL Draft in-person event, but there's still a chance it happens.  NFL should be issuing a statement about it fairly soon, if they already haven't done so.

1 minute ago, showtime said:

Yup.  I've attended SXSW so many times.  It's such a great event.  Unfortunate it is canceled.

I've been a few times - live music isn't really my thing, but it's a rite of passage and I had a great time (if you ever have a chance, look into Austin City Limits, better known as ACL - just as fun as SXSW).

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I've been a few times - live music isn't really my thing, but it's a rite of passage and I had a great time (if you ever have a chance, look into Austin City Limits, better known as ACL - just as fun as SXSW).

Been many times.  I lived in Austin for years.  I graduated from The University of Texas at Austin.  I feel the same way about a lot of live music.  Those events have a great atmosphere and are just a lot of fun in general.  They're traditions and it's so sad with everything going on right now.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, showtime said:

There are major universities that have or are preparing to cancel in-person classes.

Indeed. Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley among others have already gone to remote- learning

The NFL draft will be held, but the League would have to be insane to sanction an intimate gathering of 500,000 fans in Vegas.

Huge bummer for all involved -  so many fans looking forward to the Sin City extravaganza
But there really aren't many options short of bubble suits at this point

05-this-concept-for-a-coronavirus.jpg